What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Cheetah GPS

ten4teg

Well Known Member
I was on a trip this week and lost my Alternator and all radios and G430. I was glad it was VFR and was able to get back to an airport I recently crossed. If it was IFR it would have been a dicey situation.

I would like to purchase a portable GPS, preferably with the ability to do an instrument approach. It looks like the Flight Cheetah is the only one with this capability. Does anybody have any experience with this unit and which model is the best option?

Thanks, Tom

I had one for about a year then sold it a few months back. The capabilities were very nice but the unit the software is in, the Viliv S5 mini computer is a piece of dung. The software runs on Win XP. On the computer itself, it was very hard to manipulate anything plus it was impossible to see the screen with any sunlight so was terrible under a bubble canopy. What the software needs is a much better computer to run on for cockpit use.

Now I have an HTC Flyer tablet running Naviator and love it. It won't be long that they have geo-referenced approach plates. While it does not have the approaches in it like the Flight Cheetah software, you are probably much better off adding a back up or second battery then trying to work any hand held unit in an IFR power outage then get yourself down quickly before your back up battery goes dead.

fl460

I had the flight cheetah FL190 for years an used it in my C172 and just loved it! When I put it in the RV6A It was unreadable in the light of day, so I traded the 190 in and got a FL650 and love it! Does everything I nedd and more! Easy to use with all my maps and approaches in a viewable box that does not use much space. Cheap to update and easy to use! what else do you need?
S

Back