What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HVLP paint gun technique

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I am about to begin priming the inside of the skins of my RV-10 tailcone and will be using the AFS waterborne primer/sealer. The company recommended the Devilbiss FinishLine spray guns which came today with extremely terse instructions. I have scuffed the alclad and am etch-cleaning (Eko-Etch) the skins, so soon will prime/seal.

I have no experience with using any kind of paint gun on a compressor - my experience has been solely with spray cans to-date! Are there any online tutorials or videos that folks can refer me to that explain the tool and technique?

I am not specifically familiar with the Devilbiss FinishLine spray guns. However, I do have a Harbor Freight HVLP and when I used it incorrectly I ended up with a bad orange peel effect. It had a note posted on it to use a maximum of 10 lbs pressure and other than that pretty much left you hanging as to detailed instructions. I finally talked to an auto painter and he set me straight. Run about 35 - 45 lbs of air from the compressor. The regulator at the pot is only pot pressure (shoving paint from the pot to the gun). He told me to run a maximum of 7 lbs there. When I did that it made all the difference in the world.

Still, hvlp's seem to be more tricky than a regular gun. Once I got it set up though, I used a lot less paint than was expected. I guess they make hvlp guns in gravity as well as siphon guns which I also have no experience. Hope this is helpful and good luck.

OH, one other thing. DO NOT PUT ANY PAINT ONTO YOUR AIRPLANE until you have practiced spraying it onto cardboard and are happy with the results. Use some of that slick finished cardboard and then take a piece of aluminum and practice with that. Paint is really hard to get off once you put it onto your airplane. And, you will want it off if it doesn't look good.

Back