What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dodged a build bullet today....

aarvig

Well Known Member
I have been putting the finishing touches on my empennage in preparation for my wing kits arrival sometime in the next three weeks. I have been working on the fiberglass tips for the horizontal stab and elevator. When I installed the elevators on the HS I did so with the HS upside down on a table. I meticulously followed the rod-end bearing distances and carefully drilled the control horns for the center bearing. The center bearing bolt slid in perfectly. I should have known life wasn't going to be that easy.
I had excellent elevator travel down (which was up with it on the table) and I thought I had great travel up (which was down with it on my table). I rolled the HS/Elevator assembly over to work on some fiberglass and that is when I noticed to my horror that the elevators actually rubbed the horizontal stabilizer spar along their rolled leading edges when they reached about 20 degrees of travel (20 is the minimum acceptable up deflection). They were fine going down. Realizing that if I had taken 5 flippin minutes to check this with the HS turned over the other direction before drilling the control horns/main bearing hole this wouldn't have occurred, I absolutely was ready to toss my horizontal out the window into the swamp behind our house:mad:.
A quick call to my counsellor (tech counsellor that is:D) helped settle me down. First he said "Now Aaron, calm down and don't panic...let's think this through.) Then he gave me specific instructions on how to disassemble it, loosen the jam nuts on the rod end bearings (which were loc-tited in place as per Joe B. at Vans) and turn those out one single turn, reinstall the elevators and then check the center bolt. I did exactly as he said and what do you know. I don't have to weld the control horns closed and re-drill them THANK GOD. With just a tiny bit of thumb pressure on the left control horn the bolt slides through both the control horns and bearing without any binding AND the elevators have full deflection up and down.
I'm lucky...this set me back a day. It could have been worse. Lesson learned, CHECK EVERYTHING TWICE AND THINK IT THROUGH BEFORE DOING SOMETHING THAT CAN'T BE REVERSED!!
Time for bed...I have an early meeting in the AM.
PS...Thanks Tom Berge!

Last edited:
Some consolation:

Aaron...and other worry-warts:):

You won't believe how many RV's are flying with elevators that have as much as 3/4" difference between them, and have done so for many years.

Others have forward sweep in the wings and do just fine, thank you.

There's quite a bit of wiggle room in SOME areas.

Best,

Back