What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: My RV-8 Control Lock

Randy Hooper

Well Known Member
I have not been comfortable with the seatbelt as a control lock so I decided to find a better solution. This is the devise I now have.
019.jpg

It's made from 1/2" square tubing with a 1/8" slot cut the length of one side. (the base)
A 5/16" rod fits inside the tube, so it's welded to .063" sheet shaped and bent to an angle matching that of the control stick.(the lock)

024.jpg

031.jpg

The base is mounted to the gear box cross brace with screws. The lock slides across through the slotted base. Velcro fits through a slot in the lock and is sewn in place. The Velcro wraps the grip, holding the controls firmly in place.

I now have a light and practical control lock. I hope you agree.

Looks good to me, Randy.

Only question I could have is if you leave it in place for several days (like at OSH) would buffeting winds cause the ailerons to eventually slide the rod in the slot of the base? Looks like the rod can be slid out of (and into) the base from either direction. Should there be a capture feature to keep the rod from sliding once you have it in the base?

I realize the control stick swings an arc and the rod moves in a straight line, so maybe that's the beauty of the design that would prevent translation of the rod in the slot.

Not knocking your design, just bouncing a first reaction your way. I like the fact that it is light, simple, easy to make and easy to store.

Last edited:
Designed to not slide

Thanks Don for commenting.
The length of the rod and it's channel only binds with the arc of the stick. This is something I had considered but the stick is held so firm it's a non issue.

Randy, you are a genius. It is so simple it's perfect.

Will you make one for me? I think it would be worth some money and I'll pay you for your effort. I do not have the ability to weld aluminum. Bill Phillips, RV-8a @ 19.2 hrs Phase l

Thanks for the compliment.

Bill I'm sorry that I don't have the time to make these for sale. Even if I did, my production process would make the cost prohibitive.
I suppose that if there was enough interest some other forum members in the manufacturing business could make these available.

Back