What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Venture on Google Earth

Yes it is 2011. It shows where I was parked. Looks like it may have been taken Thursday morning. I am on the wing of my airplane getting ready to depart.

Yes it is 2011. It shows where I was parked. Looks like it may have been taken Thursday morning. I am on the wing of my airplane getting ready to depart.

It was actually monday. Early afternoon would be my guess. Look at Aeroshe... Conoco ph...:confused:whatever and you will see the concert stage with about the right size crowd for just before the airshow. Also, no airshow planes are pulled out to get ready and some sort of twin is landing 27.

I managed to find our plane and the tent-mahall our friends set up next to our plane. I thought I was joking when I told them it could be seen from outer space:eek:

I think it is Tuesday morning. I am camping on the very edge of the camp ground and they just opened up a new area to catch the overflow. They mowed the field to the south of the ultra light flyway and were just letting campers in.

Does Google Earth date stamp their photos?

Definitely early Monday afternoon. That was the day I moved my plane out to the show area from the N40 and it was only there for the day. It is in this picture in the show area and I moved it back to the N40 as soon as the airshow ended. Looks like just before the airshow started with people setting up their viewing perches along the flight line and all the airshow planes are staged ready to go. There are a few RV's taxing in so obviously the airshow had not started yet.

My empty spot in the N40 with my canopy cover holding my spot: 43.989715, -88.566811 and my RV in the show area: 43.986138, -88.563696
(to get your coord on map, right click on your spot, select Drop Lat/Long Mkr, highlight then copy coord w/ Ctl V, paste as desired)

The Google Earth timestamp is 7/25/2011 - that would be Monday. Can't see a time but the shadow of the tower suggest roughly 3pm or so local.

Thanks for posting - that way I made it to Oshkosh 2011 after all (at least virtually)

I was just going to post this but Tony beat me to it. Oh well, the early bird gets the worm (but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese...)

It was definitely shot on opening Monday. You can see the stage on the west ramp for the concert. Also look at the parking rows- almost no holes in the rows, meaning no one is leaving yet. It can't be 3:00PM, there is too much ground activity to be during the airshow. Plus the crowds on the flightline are pretty sparse. I notice that both of Van's demo planes and Arnie Z's Breezy are both in their parking spots, and demos and Breezy rides shut down around 1PM, so I'd put this in the 1-2PM range.

I was just going to post this but Tony beat me to it. Oh well, the early bird gets the worm (but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese...)...

Daryl K. gets the worm on this one, I got the cheese. I was too busy spying on backyards looking for skinny dippers.

what's the story on the Bonanza(?) on the grass between the taxiway and 36? Looks like an RV is taxiing past him.

I found where I parked N421RT :D

And I also found Dave & Pat Eby's van parked behind the forums, where we were sitting and eating sandwiches there under the big cedar tree right about the same time this photo was taken :p I also guestimate this photo to be taken between 1-2PM since I can see our folding chars and possibly the group of folks I was with under that big tree.

Last edited:
Them Bonanza's

what's the story on the Bonanza(?) on the grass between the taxiway and 36? Looks like an RV is taxiing past him.

He is probably lost, landed at the wrong airport and is taxiing over to the BP station to ask for directions. I'm not trying to start anything, but I'm pretty sure that's what is going on :)

That is really cool. I wonder if this was planned by google?
I found my plane right at the end of forum 4.

I have wasted more time on this than anything in WEEKS! Yeah, I found my tent, my car, and maybe even the pen I lost. FINALLY something that can give am impression of just how big Oshkosh--make that AirVenture--really is. coolest thing in years, and it had to be planned.

Bob

I've had a great time scouring the field. I agree that Monday right before the airshow is most likely. The crowd looks really small, but you can see people are already setting up their chairs for REO Speedwagon. They're also setting up their chairs for the airshow. It's got to be in that 1-2PM window.

As I searched the imagery, it made me wish we had this stuff real-time. I was thinking, "Wow, I didn't know that airplane was there!" I'd love to have the imagery and browse the field to uncover airplanes I usually miss.....

Back