What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flood - Bloomsburg Pa -N13

Jim Lewellyn

Well Known Member
As many of you may know, we have had the worst flood in Bloomsburg, Pa since 1908. Our airport sits right next to the Susquehanna river and was completly under flood water. Thanks to everyone that have called or emailed me.

Fortunately, I was able to fly my RV6 and Challenger II out before the major flood waters hit. Unfortunately, two other RV's did not make it out (and a bunch of spam cans). A 9 and a 6A. The 9 was completely submerged under about 8 feet of water and muck, and the 6A was covered over the wings.

Here is a link to some aerial pics I took right before the water crested. I took these from my Challenger II. I took about 100 more pics, but I really don't have time to post them. The planes that you see were parked at the end of runway 8 which has never been under water during previous floods. It sure was this time.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109087456919506279041/September112011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Approximately 25% (3,500 people) of the people of Bloomsburg are presently homeless.

Last edited:
I can not believe that. Disaster. No meet and greet on Oct. 2 then Jim. Whose 9 was that? Dick's?

abeam_N13.jpg

Last edited:
Yes

Yes it was Dick's 9. I am not sure who owns the 6a. It was there to have some engine work done by Columbia Aircraft Service.

Jim,

What a sad scene. Shades of St. Louis in 1993 when KSUS was under 6-8' of water.

Seem like the rain gods have jumped the tracks - there's much too much water in some parts of the country and much too much drought in other parts.

Like other aspects of life these days, we are along for the ride and wonder where it will all settle out.

Glad you were able to fly out before the water rolled in.

Wow Jim so glad you got your birds out, I hope you and your family are high enough to be dry if you need anything at all let me know.
All the Best buddy
Kirk

Thanks

Thanks everyone,

All of my family are fine. None of us live in the flooded areas.

We have a huge mess to deal with at the airport. The water completly blew the rear wall of the FBO out, flooded all of the offices and equipment, blew all of the windows out, etc. There is about 8 inches of mud in the hangars and everywhere, but we will get it cleaned up.

The airport has no problems at all compared to the the people with home damage. Many of the homes were swept off of their foundations. Most of them have all of that mud and junk in their house. Everything in these flooded houses is a total loss.

N13 recovered from flood

Visited Bloomsburg Airport couple days ago. Played Don Quixote on my way :D

Quxot.jpg

Airport still has some water pooling on its territory but runway, taxiway and parking ramp are dry. Sand still there.

ac63e59f.jpg

22f4989d.jpg

Jim's hangar shows the level of flooding.

66c8decd.jpg

They also have a stone where they mark prominent flood levels during last century. The pillar was not visible on September 2011.

2cdb1f3e.jpg

Jim did a lot of work on his RV since I saw the plane in 2009. Changed panel, built and painted new rudder.

733dc5cb.jpg

be47d14b.jpg

His truck matches the RV :)

0212fd71.jpg

We rode to Blooming' Bagels, a college cafeteria, for a bite. Cool spot. Then zoomed to downtown which is uphill and updown located downhill. People still recovering from disaster.

c9644015.jpg

Nice beautiful town. I hope good times of RV gathering will return.

9e356136.jpg

bloom2.jpg

Back