What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

So much to keep track of -- So little time

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Ok, who knows, is Texas east or west of New Mexico? Well it is generally east but from where I live there is a heap of Texas, and it may be the best part, that is west of me. There are many interesting things out there to keep track of, and I missed one of the big ones today, the 1,000 year clock, which is in the Sierra Diablo Range. I need to take a look out there soon.

I have been keeping an eye on Jeff Bezos and his space flight ambitions at his Blue Origin facility north of Van Horn, so I have been thinking about the recent destruction of the vehicle before the completion of the planned mission, that happened on August 24th. The event reportedly happened at about 45,000 feet at mach 1.2. I have been wondering where the remains of that vehicle ended up and if it might be possible to find that spot.

Then I got a visitor to the office this week. I had heard of ag pilot Bud, but had never met him. Apparently he had seem some of the stuff I have posted on my website about the West Texas stuff. He had noticed something interesting near Cornudas, Texas (population 10?) and thought I should check it out.

So that is two things to check on and I haven't been by the secret Salt Flat Airport for a while, so that is three. Time to saddle up the RV-6.

DSC09501.jpg

The course out takes me over the two National Parks of the Guadalupe Mountains, and I can live with that. I was surprised to see the Fall color change starting in the relatively low elevation of Double Canyon, in Carlsbad Caverns National Park, although the higher country, including the famous McKittrick Canyon, of Guadalupe Mountains National Park, was showing no Fall colors at all.

DSC09513.jpg

Past the Guadalupe Mountains, I could look back at them over the Gypsum Dunes that are part of the National Park.

DSC09522.jpg

Then over the dry lake of Salt Flat, Texas

From here I flew along the El Paso Highway past many eccentric structures until I reached the most eccentric one of all.

DSC09539.jpg

This X shaped structure is down in a hollow of a hill. The hill is probably geologically one of the Cornudas Mountains, which are generally considered to be magmatic intrusions, but it actually looks like a small caldera.

DSC09552.jpg

I am very surprised I had never noticed this structure, because it is in my normal patrol area. I am also surprised I had never heard of it or the artist. After a little research, I have concluded this guy is one of the more intelligent and interesting nuts around. James Magee has spent about the last 35 years working on this meticulous and beautiful artwork, that was pretty much made for his own satisfaction. He has also worked as a roughneck, taxi driver and lawyer.

Magee-interior-work1.jpg

This interior photo is from http://artandseek.net/2010/09/03/artseek-on-think-tv-artist-james-magee-and-the-hill/

Okay, I know what that is now, respect it and have ordered a book on the work. Now on to the Secret Salt Flat Airport. Turns out there are no apparent big changes there.

Number three is to find the crash site of Mr. Bezos' rocket.

I didn't have much hope here. The Blue Origin site is huge. But I started thinking. There is a highway just to the west and a town to the south and a mountain range to the east and another highway to the north. Jeff would get very bad publicity if one of his vehicles fell on a bus full of retirees, so maybe they took pains to make sure it would end up near the launch site.

Turns out I didn't even get very close before I found a burn area. When I flew over the burn scar I didn't see any debris or craters though.

DSC09582.jpg

What I did see were additional smaller burn scars nearby and all the scars had tracks through them.

DSC09583.jpg

I look at a lot of burned areas and have never seen anything like this before. There is one large burn area and about four more smaller ones within 200 yards or so. Yep, I think this is the place (31º 23.202', -104º 47.714'). It is about 2 miles west of the main part of the launch facility.

DSC09591.jpg

Judging by official photos on the web I think this is the particular pad used for this last launch but it appears that the elaborate hold down structure was not used but rather the the plain concrete pad was the launch point.

DSC09596.jpg

I passed by the desolate Delaware Mountain wind turbine farm on the way home to one of those, oh so satisfying, landings.

What an amazing privilege to be able to fly ones own airplane. Not only that, but to be able to fly anywhere in unrestricted airspace, and look at whatever one wants to look at in that kind of airspace.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. Your activities are exactly the sort of thing I'm looking forward to indulging in once I get past "2 steps forward- 1 step back" and actually get to the flying part. This is very inspirational for me.

cbad

Larry, Your pictures from the Carsbad area always bring back memories for me. Been traveling there for 39 years now, mostly in a Mooney and the Bonanza but have our first RV trip coming up in a couple weeks.

Larry,

You continue to amaze me with your reporting, interesting flights, geologic knowledge and appreciation of things I have no knowledge of (yet).

Thank you for helping keep my brain engaged!

:),
dr

As usual, your fascinating report has been filed under "X"

Also as usual, should you or any of your reconnaissance force be caught (or simply identified), the VAF secretary will disavow......

Oh...have you got coordinates on the "Art Project"? We're headed out west on Thursday - will check it out if it's not much of a deviation!

Paul

...Oh...have you got coordinates on the "Art Project"? We're headed out west on Thursday - will check it out if it's not much of a deviation!

Paul

Shoot Paul. That's not even life threatening information, but it probably is pretty far north of your course line.

The%252520Hill.jpg

The Hill

If you want to see if you agree on the Blue Origin impact site, it is here. The three mile buffer to a US Highway is probably about the same margin you guys use.

Crashsite.jpg

The red line is one mile. Highway 54 is the roughly north/south line to the left and the launch facility is the roughly north/south line to the right.

I am interested enough in the art project that I am considering donating a fair amount to go on one of the twice yearly tours, in October.

Offer that Magee character a ride in your RV. I'm sure he would love to see his creation from the air. Then bring him to OSH with you next year, because I'd love to meet someone nuttier than myself. :D

Offer that Magee character a ride in your RV. I'm sure he would love to see his creation from the air. Then bring him to OSH with you next year, because I'd love to meet someone nuttier than myself. :D

Now that's an idea. I would probably have to see how I react to Mr. Magee or whichever alter ego shows up. I think Annabel Livermore is the one I would get along with best.

Actually Larry, the Art Project is almost directly on the line we usually fly - the Bezos crash site appears to be fairly far south. Three miles to a road? Man, we'd NEVER let anything fly that close to human-made structures at significant speed. The formula is complex of course, depending on how much delta-V or blast wave you can get in any direction at a given point in flight....

Always interesting to hear what's going on down south Larry! I often wonder about that secret strip!

Paul if you get way off course give a call - Santa Fe

Bob

Back