What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My new RVbits Plenum

Nice!!

How did you seal it to the top half of the cowl, at the inlets??

the plenum is about 1/4 an inch high and back of the top half of the cowl, is not tight seal of course but I don't think is necesary. I have to close the air inlet to my oil cooler so I can get 165 degrees on cruise and my CHT is around 310-320, at take off climbing at 90 Knots Max CHT is 380, so I am really happy with my Setup, anyway is not much different from the old buffles but I think now my engine looks very cool!!!

Did you have regular baffling at first? If so, what were the previous oil and CHT temps? Any speed improvement?

Did you have regular baffling at first? If so, what were the previous oil and CHT temps? Any speed improvement?

Yes I got regular baffling at first, I have flown with the plenum for about 3 hours and I did not notice any significal change on CHT or Oil temp, but the real change was than the plane feel smother and quieter than before, I think this is because now there is no contact betwen the engine and airframe except on the engine mount.

....but the real change was than the plane feel smother and quieter than before, I think this is because now there is no contact betwen the engine and airframe except on the engine mount.

Hmmm this is the last thing I would have thought it would have affected.

That is great to know. I guess it makes sense, so what your saying is that it reduces vibration and noise or just vibration and hence reduced rattling so there is reduced noise.

ie does it muffle the engine as well?

Will it fit in 6A?

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but guess there is only one way to figure that out.

Will it fit in a 6A with an O-360-A1A?

Thanks

Dan Thompson
N426JM
RV-6A 180hp / C.S.
KSEE - San Diego, CA

Awesome!

Airbus, looks awesome. I just ordered one after seeing yours. Whats the chance that your friend would paint the Lyc logo on another one $$.

What modification did you have to make to the forward end, ie is there anything I can do to the cowling or baffles as I am building them that you might have done if this was installed initally instead of rubber baffle seals.

Hmmm this is the last thing I would have thought it would have affected.

That is great to know. I guess it makes sense, so what your saying is that it reduces vibration and noise or just vibration and hence reduced rattling so there is reduced noise.

ie does it muffle the engine as well?

Hi,

My plane was very smooth before installing the plenum, but some time I was able to hear a rattling that probably came from baffles(specially at low power setting), now that sound/vibration completely disappear.

Cheers,

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but guess there is only one way to figure that out.

Will it fit in a 6A with an O-360-A1A?

Thanks

Dan Thompson
N426JM
RV-6A 180hp / C.S.
KSEE - San Diego, CA

There is no dumb question, there is dumb people who doesn't ask:D

Unfortunately I don't know and there is no RV-6 in Chile to check, you should ask the manufacturer RVbits.

Cheers,

Airbus, looks awesome. I just ordered one after seeing yours. Whats the chance that your friend would paint the Lyc logo on another one $$.

What modification did you have to make to the forward end, ie is there anything I can do to the cowling or baffles as I am building them that you might have done if this was installed initally instead of rubber baffle seals.

Yes he could paint it for you, but we live in Chile so probably you may find someone locally for less money.

The mod is more difficult to explain than make, so I will post some pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Reply from RVBits

Hey Guys,
I got an email back from Jan at RVBits.com. Here is what they said:

Hi Dan,
Unfortunately I do not have a good answer for you.
As I do not have a plenum yet for any of the side by side models, I cannot sell one to you .
I am working on one for the 7A and that should be close, but is not ready yet.

When ready the price should be about $265 for the glass one and $440 for the carbon one.
Best regards,
Jan.

Hey Guys,
I got an email back from Jan at RVBits.com. Here is what they said:

snip
When ready the price should be about $265 for the glass one and $440 for the carbon one.
Best regards,
Jan.

Why would I want a carbon fiber plenum over a F/G plenum? Is the carbon fiber one more heat resistant? Or is it just cooler looking?
I think they look great!

Last edited:
The carbon one should be a little lighter. It might also be a bit stiffer and it'll certainly have less expansion and contraction with temperature changes.

Hopefully it'll still be flexible enough to conform to the engine where it's mounted, as the engine heats up.

Dave

Nice pictures Fernando !

The carbon one is slightly lighter and comes with free bragging rights ;)
The glass one can be color coded the same as you engine or rocker covers.

RV-8

AIRBUSDRIVER

I have a friend that is close by you this week, he could try to contact you.

His name is Damon, He has a very fast RV-8. You should ask him about sealing your cowl.

Santiago Chile

No he is in Santiago Chile, he spends a week or so there every few months.

As I said he has a very fast RV-8. The quality of what he has done is outstanding. His -8 is 200 Knots +.

I think he would enjoy looking at Airbuspilot's RV-8 as it looks great also. I think he has free time while there.

Back