What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: More Room - Empennage Access Cover

f1rocket

Well Known Member
I have short and stubby hands, not the kind that fit into the opening of the empennage access hole very easily. On the F1 Rockets, the hole is even smaller due to the location of the aft most ribs. If I was ever going to get my hand inside there to connect the rudder horns to the torque tube, I needed to create more space.

I don't remember where I got this idea but I borrowed it from another builder. In all likelihood, it came from Tom Martin, but I can't swear by it. I hope this is something that you might be able to use on your empennage to give you at least another 1/2" or more of access space. Enjoy!

Rigging32.jpg

I made the parts shown above. I cut the access ring to cover slightly less than the bottom half of the hole. On top of the cover, I made a small tab. At the top of the access opening, I made a clip for the tab to slide in behind.

Rigging33.jpg

Here are the part clecoed in place. The tab at the top is slipped into place to check the clearance. Please note that on my airframe, the holes for the full access ring were already drilled so I had to make parts to fill in behind the part so I could insert a rivet into the pre-drilled holes. Youmay not need to do this if your parts are not already drilled.

Rigging34.jpg

Here's a picture of the backside.

Rigging35.jpg
Rigging36.jpg

Here's the finished product. The final result is more space for your hand, less screws, and less weight.

Randy: That's another great tip from you. Only a child could reach into the aft inspection plate on mine. Wish I had thought of that myself. Very clever and neatly done.

Lee...

Back