Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Default to test or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Jan, you are your own worst enemy.

Put the engine on a dyno, get some hard data and publish it.

(I have pages of numbers from BPE on my Lycoming. Its all boring stuff to read, but it is there, it was done and makes good business and engineering sense)

Hire someone like Sonja Englert to go over the TV issues and publish her report.

Do that and 98% of this thread will go away, you will sell more engines, and have a lot less controversy.

None of this will cost and arm and a leg, it only makes good sense. Do it and get on with life. Otherwise the discussion will never end and it will harm the business potential of the Viking.
I agree 100%
Unless he already knows the outcome.
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com
Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7 View Post
i was wondering if you could define what you would consider "proven", and what exactly about the viking and rv12 that you consider "highly suspect design"?
This thread is on thin ice (rightfully so) so I'll tread lightly, and summarize the unstated feelings of many people on this thread. The manufacturer in this case has a well established reputation in the RV community. Anyone who has been around here more than a couple of years is well aware of it. If you are new to the group, the info is all in the archives, google etc.
Milwaukee
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Whoa there! Ever hear of the Pietenpol Air Camper? Two place with automobile engine, extremely popular at EAA start. The POBER jr Ace experimental designed by none other than Paul himself, two place experimental. MANY two place experimentals existed back then. I will NEVER "leave Paul out of it"!
We all owe Paul a great debt, for without his efforts in the early days, our hobby would simply not exist. In fact, one of his earliest successes was to get the rules changed to allow for carrying of passengers in homebuilt aircraft, which was illegal when EAA was formed in 1953. The below quote is from the very first issue of the Experimenter in Feb. 1953

"The feeling is running “high”
that with a strong organization,
enough pressure could be brought
to bear in the right places that
some sort of limited
airworthiness certificate could
be issued time proven
experimental aircraft to enable
the owner to carry passengers.
It is a goal to work for."

Interesting history, but not at all relevant to the discussion of the Viking engine. And not any sort of basis to invoke Paul's name to rationalize the business practices of this company. This has nothing to do with your rights to experiment with alternative engines.
Milwaukee
Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeggenfellner View Post
[Text here that was promotional in nature was removed by the owner of the forums. Non advertisers cannot use the forums as a promotional tool (rule #5 at: http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm). Answering a specific, technical question that can be verified with a source is of course allowed - and encouraged! ]

Jan
Jan,

As a future LSA pilot, I am closely monitoring powerplant development for this category of aircraft. Considering the audience that you have on this website, why are you not a paid advertiser on this forum? I believe this would promote a more open dialogue between you and your potential customers.

Regards,
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Default Information

Jan I think a lot of us would like to see this engine perform well, and have other choices for a power plant. Time will tell and I am looking forward to the time when Don has some time on his 12 to share his information with us. Sharing information and solving problems is what this sport is about. I will also use an alternate engine in my 12, as more information is presented. I would like to see more weight and balance, gearbox and high RPM information.

Good Luck
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com
Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose View Post
This thread is on thin ice (rightfully so) so I'll tread lightly, and summarize the unstated feelings of many people on this thread. The manufacturer in this case has a well established reputation in the RV community. Anyone who has been around here more than a couple of years is well aware of it. If you are new to the group, the info is all in the archives, google etc.

i am aware of most of the history, i was wondering if you knew much about the viking or if you based your "highly suspect design" solely on the what you know of the past history?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:32 PM

those that don't learn from the past are destined to repeat it...

Subscription Paid for 2018

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7 View Post
i am aware of most of the history, i was wondering if you knew much about the viking or if you based your "highly suspect design" solely on the what you know of the past history?
I do not know a great deal about this engine package or it's engineering, and I base my cautions on the history of the company. The lack of engineering information, especially with the gear box and TV issues that others have detailed, are my basis for the "highly suspect" description.
Milwaukee
Old 08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Default Gearbox

[Text here that was promotional in nature was removed by the owner of the forums. Non advertisers cannot use the forums as a promotional tool (rule #5 at: http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm).

This user continued to use the site as a promotional tool for his business. He was sent advertising information months ago, yet declined to. Was sent multiple emails and PMs asking him to stop promoting his business on the site (he chose to keep doing it).

I can't tolerate abuse, and therefore have decided to ban the account permanantly and lock this thread.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose View Post
I do not know a great deal about this engine package or it's engineering, and I base my cautions on the history of the company. The lack of engineering information, especially with the gear box and TV issues that others have detailed, are my basis for the "highly suspect" description.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 08-22-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Closed Thread