What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for MIL PRF 87257 Brake Fluid

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am about to fill and flush my brake system. I was reading up on the subject and was referred to this very nice discussion by Grove Aircraft:

http://www.groveaircraft.com/fluid.html

They believe MIL-PRF-87527 is the best option for brake fluid and is fully compatable with their products.

I sent them an email asking where I could find it, as my google search has not turned up a source. They wrote back and said, use MIL-H-5606--the standard stuff that everyone has used for years and which their article says is too flamable and obsolete. Interesting that they would give a really good explanation for why 5606 is a bad idea and then tell me to use it.

Anyway, does anyone know a source for a quart or two of 87527? I would hate to have to infiltrate a miltary base to find it....

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

I'm using Royco 782 in my Grove brakes. 782 is the Royco brand name for Mil-PRF-83282. I bought a gallon because I was never able to find it by the quart but skygeek now has both quarts and gallons listed on the website

I thought a gallon would be way too much, but I've had to bleed my brakes more than once and I'm glad I had the extra on hand.

Last edited:
Be very careful with 782

My buddy used Royco 782 in his -4 but had scratches on his arm from tie-wrap ends and a little of the stuff got in his blood and he spent several days in the hospital with a severely swollen arm and took quite a bit of meds....Doc said he could have died.

Use gloves around this stuff and do your best to not get any on your skin!

Best,

Last edited:
Second the 83282 (Royco from Skygeek) for the higher flash point. Just insurance; there have been RV brake fires with 5606.

Varient of Mil-H-83282

Hi All,

I am about to fill and flush my brake system. I was reading up on the subject and was referred to this very nice discussion by Grove Aircraft:

http://www.groveaircraft.com/fluid.html

They believe MIL-PRF-87527 is the best option for brake fluid and is fully compatible with their products.

I sent them an email asking where I could find it, as my google search has not turned up a source. They wrote back and said, use MIL-H-5606--the standard stuff that everyone has used for years and which their article says is too flammable and obsolete. Interesting that they would give a really good explanation for why 5606 is a bad idea and then tell me to use it.

Anyway, does anyone know a source for a quart or two of 87527? I would hate to have to infiltrate a military base to find it....

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

Michael,
A quick search shows that Mil-H-87527 is a variant of Mil-H-83282. It has improved low temperature viscosity. Since Mil-H-83282 is good down to minus 65 degrees Fahrenheit, do you "really" think you need the added capability? Sounds like this new fluid was developed for military use in arctic regions. Are you planning on going to work for Buffalo Airlines?? :D See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fluid#Specifications

Charlie

+3 for 2 qts 782 from skygeek. Cans had some good dents but no leaks.

Same with any cleaners, used motor oils...always wear gloves. I buy them on amazon by the case...Lightning nitrile gloves.

VAF Comes through again

Thanks guys,

I knew there was going to be a place to find this stuff

Regards,

Michael Wynn

Mil-H-87527

Anybody found a source for the newer brake fluid? It appears to have better viscosity at lower temps and, well, I have lower temps about now. First time fill, so I want to try to find this stuff, within reason.

Back