What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do yah think!?

pilotian

Well Known Member
So I was bored today, so I decided to make a scan of my RV-8 plane view from the Preview Plans ( I got yesterday!!!!!) and start doing some editing and making up paint schemes out of pure boredom.

Mind you, I dont like the cowling, but I dont have a good idea for it yet so I figured eh, Ill do that for s*** and giggles. Let me know what yah think. If you havent learned yet, I am addicted to checkers, dark red, and the flashier something is the more it is for me. Gotta be remembered for somthing eh (canadian eh).

RV-8Checkered%20red%20-%20Copy.jpg

Oh and for anyone that is following my progress, I put the order form/check in the mail for my RV-8 emenage kit yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

If by any chance you end up being an optometrist, you could use that as an eye check chart:eek:

Congrats on ordering the emp. Congrats also on a fine model. I would also choose an -8 if I decide to build. I cannot, however, congradulate you on that BUSY paint scheme. :D. I suspect (hope) your tastes will change as you age!

That's a lot of checkers! I say GO FOR IT - it's YOUR plane and I love seeing color on these planes. If you stray from the standard light color/dark color with a swoop or whoosh down the side you'll get two reactions...people will love it or hate it. It really doesn't matter because it's YOUR plane - do what YOU want with it.

My 2 cents as usual...coming from someone who painted their first plane neon green and black - and just finished up an RV9 that looks like a clown car. I can also assure you the Mullicoupe won't be boring either. :)

Cheers,
Stein

:D loven the sarcastic comments, exactly what I want!

Hey if I stroll into an airport with this paint scheme, I dont need to think of a conversation starter ;)

That's a lot of checkers! I say GO FOR IT - it's YOUR plane and I love seeing color on these planes. If you stray from the standard light color/dark color with a swoop or whoosh down the side you'll get two reactions...people will love it or hate it. It really doesn't matter because it's YOUR plane - do what YOU want with it.

My 2 cents as usual...coming from someone who painted their first plane neon green and black - and just finished up an RV9 that looks like a clown car. I can also assure you the Mullicoupe won't be boring either. :)

Cheers,
Stein

Neon green is my second choice of colors I would say! haha;)

Lets just say I would not forget your plane - if I saw it at an airport on a normal XC and then saw it later at an airshow I'd immediately remember it and IMO I think thats a good thing. Also congrats on the emp kit - I just ordered my preview plans for the -8 and will be following your progress.

Think about what it looks like from a distance

From about 500 -- 1000 ft when you your friends are watching you do circuits, it is just going to look pink. :eek:

Hehehe... I like the checkers. This was what my Cherokee looked like the first half decade I owned and flew it. And no you could not really see the checkers at altitude. It just looked beige/orange-ish.

Checkerbird.jpg

Later it was repainted a more conventional blue and white color scheme.

100122.jpg

Last edited:
Hehehe... I like the checkers. This was what my Cherokee looked like the first half decade I owned and flew it. And no you could not really see the checkers at altitude. It just looked beige/orange-ish.

Checkerbird.jpg

Later it was repainted a more conventional blue and white color scheme.

100122.jpg

Glad to have a fellow checkerboard man!!!

Except for the checkerboard and the cowl, I think it looks great!

Debby Downer ;)

Stein-
That paint job makes more sense to me every time I see it. If something gets dinged up and your out of its original color, OH WELL! ha ha. I had to walk my friends past it at Oshkosh and hear their thoughts.

P.s. Good to see the little wheel in the right spot :D

If you have a few soft stuffed chess pieces in appropriate places on the tail cone behind the canopy, you'd meet some interesting people....

Dave

If you have a few soft stuffed chess pieces in appropriate places on the tail cone behind the canopy, you'd meet some interesting people....

Dave

HAHA!! Im sure I would. Maybe I should paint a little picnic scene on it as well .... not ;)

Working on other schemes as we speak look for more pictures later in week

I think you should leave it polished alum and paint a big dragon down the side of it. :)

right now I am working on a christmas themed one lol, reindeer and all. I could name it Santa's Sleigh haha I am getting to carried away, but its fun.

Anyone need design help?

By the way, if any of you guys need some assistance in getting your RV pain scheme/designs digitally made, like the one in this post let me know!

If you build it heavy, you could call it 'Chubby Checker'...

DOH! BA-DA-BING!!! Thanks, I'll be here all week. :D

Martin Tricycle Motor Works

I like the checkered idea. I recommend starting at the cowling with a solid red and have it 'fade' into a checkered pattern at the fire wall. Then you can do the same with the all red rudder you currently have, meaning have it fade back into the solid red rudder. Pretty neat and one of a kind. Isn't this what owning your own experimental plane is all about? Nice!

Dan

Not a checkerboard fore say, but along the same lines. This is from a sister squadron, to go along with our new Digital Cammies!

FA-18D-VMFA-314_002_MIRAM2004_0002_800.jpg

I like the checkered idea. I recommend starting at the cowling with a solid red and have it 'fade' into a checkered pattern at the fire wall. Then you can do the same with the all red rudder you currently have, meaning have it fade back into the solid red rudder. Pretty neat and one of a kind. Isn't this what owning your own experimental plane is all about? Nice!

Dan

Not a checkerboard fore say, but along the same lines. This is from a sister squadron, to go along with our new Digital Cammies!

Im tired, and got to get to bed for golf at 6:30 so is this quick edit somthing your sorta imagining?

RV8-checkered-cowlingedit.jpg

Did posts get deleteed?

I was serious about the polished metal and a Dragon. The B-24 "The Dragon and his tail" has an awesome scheme and I thought Ian would be open to the idea.

b24_dragon.jpg

Ian,
Yeah man, you are on the right track. I like the cowling solid to checker (work more fading/transition) and then work the same on the Rudder. If I had photoshop I would try to work something up. If the fading/transition could also work some transparency where you started to see the checkerboard behind the solid color.
By doing this transition it will appear that you are going so fast you are smearing the paint.

Dan

No idea why, but the revised colour scheme brings back memories of helping my dad pull the engine out of an MD500 and then going a hangar over and eating at the diner at the Red Deer Airport.

Would be interesting to see that pattern in person, and definitely would be hard to forget!

Ian,
Yeah man, you are on the right track. I like the cowling solid to checker (work more fading/transition) and then work the same on the Rudder. If I had photoshop I would try to work something up. If the fading/transition could also work some transparency where you started to see the checkerboard behind the solid color.
By doing this transition it will appear that you are going so fast you are smearing the paint.

Dan

Im trying, but its not that great :/

RV8-checkered-blend.jpg

http://pilotian.com/the-checks-in-the-mail/

Last edited:
I suspect that if you had to sell it that your buyer base would be far below normal. You can do whatever floats your boat but if it is atypical, it can have a negative impact in some areas.

I like the new rendition. A professional paint shop will be able to work with you on the design and get the transition points to where you want them, but I think you are on the right track.

I was thinking last night, that maybe instead of the solid rudder: continue on with the "going so fast your paint is smearing" idea and on the tail have it look like the checkers are washing off the tail. Hard to describe, but try stretching the checkers from VS onto the rudder and fading the ends as they approach the trailing edge. Can even do a jagged edge to make it seem more realistic.

I like where you are going!

Dan

Paint scheme for engineering research????

Uh,

Am I the only one who noticed that this is the paint scheme they paint on stuff,

... Just before they crash it?

:eek:

Dkb

I'm thinking I hope I never have to fly formation off his wing... I'm sure my depth perception would disappear in about ten seconds.

Reminded me of the Racing for Holland Dome Judd car at Le Mans.
entry16.jpg

They sold sponsorships for each square on the car. Quite busy looking.
Other years they have done more of a soccer ball look.

I definitely like the pixelated look. You could do quite a lot with that technique.

Back