What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Machined Panel Overview / Review

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
This post is intended as a part review, part how-to for designing your own panel and having it cut.

Like me, I'm sure there are a number of builders that would like to have their panel CAD designed and CNC cut, but don't want to buy expensive and complex software. In addition, most of us do not have a relationship with a local machine shop (or even have a local shop).

Back when I first started my panel planning I did a search on-line and found a company called emachineshop http://www.emachineshop.com I am in no way connected with them, just a customer.

This company has free CAD software that you can download from their website. Their software is pretty basic, like the Zima of the CAD world. However, it is this simplicity that makes it great for panel planning. The SW is very easy to learn and use, like drawing in paint but with more tools and real coordinates. Anyone can use this SW.

The next big plus of designing in their software is that you can price your panel at any time. As part of the design process, you select the material, machine tools, tolerances, delivery speed, ect. All these factors drive the price and the CAD SW will accurately quote the manufacture of the part.

Once you have completed your design and gone through the software?s error-check process, you can place your order right there in the CAD system. They send you confirmation e-mails and will contact you in advance if there is any design or pricing issues with your order. My order matched the price quoted in the tool.

The order I just received was made up of four separate parts.
1) Panel frame (this will be riveted to the airframe and support the sub panels)
2) Two pieces that will be part of brackets for the eyeball vents. I didn't have the holes cut since I haven't decided on my vents yet.
3) I had them cut a test piece with my N-Number to see how they do with text.

It would have saved me money if I had my whole panel cut at once, but I wasn't ready for that. Also buying multiple items can save a TON since setup costs are a major portion.

So far I am 100% happy with the parts I have received to date. My total cost including shipping was $138.09 (including shipping). If I had all my panel components cut at the same time the quoted total was around $220.

cimg5298.jpg

cimg5300t.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of my panel design from the tool. These images include my notes (which don't go to the shop). In the tool they show up as separate colors from the machined items.

paneldesignv08.jpg

This one shows the areas where material will be removed:

paneldesignv08fill.jpg

I have been working on this panel for quite a while and am far from done. The actual CAD work is very easy to perform. Now if I could just make up my mind.

For RV-7 builders, you can download the drawing file from Vans and import it directly into the software. For RV-6 builders like me, you can start with the RV-7 panel and modify the design to fit your particular aircraft.

The take-away from all this is that emachineshop looks to be a good company to use. Don't be intimidated by designing your own panel in CAD, it is easier than it looks. I'm happy to answer questions or provide help where I can.

Wow, that is really nice, thanks for sharing that.
PS: With that 10 inch Skyview you will not need the KT76.

Wow, that is really nice, thanks for sharing that.
PS: With that 10 inch Skyview you will not need the KT76.

I already have the KT76 so I'm not ready so spend money on the Dynon unit just yet. I'll probably add the S-Mode unit some time down the road.

Last edited:
Back