What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2011 Adventure (AirVenture) Cup Race

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I have word that the racers launched but weather is causing diversions, moderate turbulence causing AHARS failures and off route airport landings (Terra Haute, Effingham, etc) to wait it out. All reports are appreciated.

Bob Axsom

Terra Haute Hangar scene

Sam Hoskins sent a photo of a big hangar scene at Terra Haute. I spotted Both Bruce and Steve Hammer's planes, the Seawind (#80), Wayne Hadath (Rocket from Canada), a yellow and red RV-8 and a red/white RV-10 that I haven't seen before. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SARL-Racers.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
AVC report (partial)

Race day began inauspiciously, with everyone sitting on folding chairs and squinting nervously at radar images on their iPhones, iPads, Androids, or other favorite tech gadget. Thunderstorms developing in north-central Illinois appeared destined to block the planned course, so the organizers devised an alternate plan to fly to Rantoul IL, then wait out the storms and continue. However, after some more delays it became clear that the storms would also beat us to Rantoul, so a new plan was made to go to Mattoon IL. We launched in a a hurry, trying to beat the weather. One of the first planes was the Nemesis NXT, which promptly deposited its canopy on the runway during takeoff roll (canopy latched?). However, the race crew were able to quickly gather up the larger pieces and soon we were all launching for Mattoon, about 185 nm away.

As it turns out the storms weren't done with us yet. Some of the faster racers made it to Mattoon, but the weather was bearing down fast. A couple of racers reported a rough ride beneath some ominous-looking clouds, and soon a high-pitched voice from a Lancair declared an encounter with "severe turbulence", followed by some other unintelligible remarks. The tone of his voice got everyone's attention, and moments later came the report that Mattoon winds were gusting to 38 kts. About 15 airplanes decided in short order to divert to Terre Haute IN. We woke up the tower controller there and somehow all reached the ground without serious mishap (it would not surprise me if some NASA forms are filed). We were able to roll into a large hangar just ahead of the gusts and lightning, and enjoyed a leisurely lunch at the fine airport restaurant. Other racers and race crew scattered to other parts of west-central Indiana and east-central Illinois.

The plan was to organize a restart from Mattoon. However I had been seeing uncomfortably high oil temperatures during the first leg, and decided that my race day was over. I high-tailed it back north to Wisconsin, and one of two other racers also dropped out. The weather was breaking up quickly so I assume the remaining group made it to the finish in West Bend. Eric Whyte and the AVC crew did a spectacular job keeping things organized in the face of challenging conditions.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan

Thanks for the inside report. Sorry to hear your oil temp was up. After your bride's maid showings in the past I figured you and Jon Ross would have a good race for first in the RV Blue class. I saw a post by Sam Hoskins on the SARL yahoo group site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SARL-Racers/ that the race briefing is at 7. I assume at Matoon, IL and if that is 7 pm they should be finishing about now. WOW, what a day for you racers. Sometimes it just feels good to be home.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
From Sam's reference to RON it sounds like he means 7 am (tomorrow)? If so too bad, I thought they might have been able to finish today.

Sorry to hear about Kevin Eldridge's canopy

Sorry to hear about Kevin Eldridge's canopy. His expected high speed with the new 8 cylinder Lycoming was much anticipated. Well, now he will have to work hard to get it ready for Reno in September.

Bob Axsom

Sorry to hear about Kevin Eldridge's canopy. His expected high speed with the new 8 cylinder Lycoming was much anticipated. Well, now he will have to work hard to get it ready for Reno in September.

Bob Axsom

Yeah, that really was unfortunate. It looked like the canopy frame was in one piece however so hopefully its not too hard to rebuild.

The latest from Sam Hoskins

See below.

Bob Axsom

Here is what I think I know. Eric (finally recovered him from French Lick, IN) said there are 13 race planes here at Terra Haute. None at Mattoon, or anywhere else but OSH.

Tomorrow's pilot brief will be held at 7:00 local time and a launch at 8:00. We are planning Terra Haute>Dekalb>Sullivan>West Bend and recover there. They are attempting a not so massive arrival, possibly through Warbird Island. Fond du lac is not in the picture.

I heard there was a hidden ditch at OSH that caused prop strike in one of the SXs, not sure who it was. This has been quite the day.

Good night.

Sam

Weird How Some Things Work

Thunderstorms developing in north-central Illinois appeared destined to block the planned course, so the organizers devised an alternate plan to fly to Rantoul IL, then wait out the storms and continue. However, after some more delays it became clear that the storms would also beat us to Rantoul, so a new plan was made to go to Mattoon IL. We launched in a a hurry, trying to beat the weather.

Sunday morning, there was an airplane crash that lead to three fatalities as the plane was departing Rantoul. I don't know how the timing would have worked between you guys' ETA to Rantoul and the crash, but it was probably a good thing that a bunch of planes did not descend on an airport where (I can only presume) the NTSB and FAA are out conducting an investigation nearby.

New Story

Sunday morning, there was an airplane crash that lead to three fatalities as the plane was departing Rantoul. I don't know how the timing would have worked between you guys' ETA to Rantoul and the crash, but it was probably a good thing that a bunch of planes did not descend on an airport where (I can only presume) the NTSB and FAA are out conducting an investigation nearby.

New Story

Wow, that's just awful. Certainly puts our minor inconveniences into perspective.

FAA

According tgo EAA.org, all FAA employees except for ATC were furloughed Fri. I don't believe the lack of FAA funding affects NTSB

Thanks for the report Allen, I thought this might be your year.

Chris M.

Chris,

Sorry not to see you there. I have a lot of work to do to catch Jon Ross; his airplane is running well and clearly faster than me (for now :)).

The hurried start did mean a bit more passing than usual, which was interesting in itself. Damon Ring, a new racer running in the RV-Gold category, passed both Jon and I. He has a beautiful RV-8 that sports a Lycon engine advertised to make 225 hp. I did manage to pass an RV-10 fairly easily, but not sure if he had it firewalled.

I was also passed, slowly, by a retractable Lancair claiming 180 hp (same as me). It was nice to see the RV-8 didn't give up much in performance. Also a bit "interesting" because somehow the Lancair couldn't see me until he was about 100 yards off my left wingtip at the same altitude, despite my radioing him when he was a half mile back. Visibility advantage to the RV-8.

lancair and passing

Allan,
Knowing that someone is catching you and doesn't see you is an uncomfortable feeling for sure. I always worried about someone decending into another airplane in the race. Dan Olsen's 160hp Lancair cruises at about 190 KTAS. It lands pretty fast, doesn't climb as well, and I didn't like having my legs squeezed in between the center console and the side wall. But, it has long legs and is fast no doubt.

Sounds like 13 airplanes and Eric Whyte are at TTH waiting for the fog to burn off.

I was hoping to get up there to see the B-787 on Friday/Sat but my shcedule wont allow it. We'd love to see you at TVAR 4 in Oct.

Chris M

From David Adams

Copied, from a copy, from David Adams, Race #83, Sprint Class, Long EZ:

"I didn't get to finish and diverted to Effingham, IL with Rene and Vern in the Turbine Legend. We waited till the worst passed and are in OSH now. They were fast enough to get to the finish just as it was starting to hit. I got there too late and scrubbed for this year. Several are at Terre Haute, IN (sp?) and intend to race in the AM."

Bob Axsom

Race Complete - per Sam Hoskins Q-200 Race #22

All aircraft on the ground at West Bend. Due for a 2:30 arrival at OSH.

Sam

Doug Shoup racer input, RV-4, Race #96

Bob,
Kathy and I did sign up for the race from Dayton and arrived around 1 pm Sat. Met some really great folks, had a great day. Planned on going to museum but ran out of time. As you know the weather does not cooperate with flying plans and Sunday AM the race staff were busy trying to come up with a plan to launch that would be safe. I think by about plan C it was a go and we fired up. An old instructor had a saying "when in doubt, Don't". As I taxied towards the runway that kept going thru my head and I was looking at the doppler radar and seeing all the red and yellow in our direction of flight. After crossing the start line I said to Kathy that I wasn't liking flying towards those colors and announced on the race frequency that we were going north and would not be rejoining the race. As soon as we arrived back home we called Ken Whyte and made sure that he knew where we were and he informed me that the plans changed in the air and as far as I know everyone is safe. If all goes well we are going to go to OSH on Tues. and already planning on the race next year. Hope to see you there.
Doug and Kathy
Race 96

AVC 2011 Results?

I learned that veteran Red Hamilton diverted to Oshkosh and DNF'd for safety reflecting decisions made by most of the field. 13 racers were left at Terra Haute, Indiana and there was some race reorganization to allow them to race the next day. Sam Hoskins reported that they all safely completed and were down at the staging point for the group arrival at Oshkosh. Linda Street-Ely reported that she heard "Race Lead" call in on EAA Live so I assume the reduced size race group made it into Oshkosh. Some pilots went on to Oshkosh on Sunday and some fast ones may have actually flown the whole course and completed then - unknown by me. One SX 300 racer taxiing to parking at Oshkosh on Sunday struck a hidden ditch and had a prop strike. I have heard nothing of the race results yet and my guess is that it is going to take some creative thinking to figure this one out. Anyone with the results please chime in.

Bob Axsom

I am just home from AirVenture. I did not run the race myself this year as I elected to take my wife, Diane, to the big show! We had a great time and joined the race crowd for their awards dinner last night. The race was a bit of a mess due to the weather and some racers not completing the race.
For the first time ever the fastest AirVenture Cup race speed was attained a fixed gear aircraft! Not only the first one but the first three

Bruce Hammer Glassair I 247.13 mph
Steve Hammer Glassair I 239.99
Wayne Hadath F1 rocket 236.6

Those are the numbers that I have but an impressive first race speed was also set by Damon Ring in the RV gold class of 218.96 mph

Note that there were headwinds for the race in the 10 to 20mph range.

Thanks for the info Tom

Those are the only results I have seen to date. WOW! Bruce, Steve and Wayne have got to be proud. Damon Ring is new to me but 218 mph into a 10-20 mph headwind is right up there with John Huft speeds. Sam Hoskins should have finished also and he was reporting earlier but have heard nothing from him since Terra Haute.

Bob Axsom

Official Results

It has been a few days now, does anyone have anymore information about the race results?

Bob Axsom

Still some small issues

I assume the speeds are in statute miles per hour. I do not see a speed for Jeff Mallia. Further info is appreciated.

Bob Axsom

Jeff Mallia's Speed?

If any of you folks at Oshkosh have access to information on Jeff mallia's speed in the AVC race I would sure like to hear from you. I maintain race records and statistics and his speed is not shown in the published results.

Bob Axsom

Back