What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x News at AirVenture

HSANTIBANEZ

Well Known Member
G3X News at AirVenture

Dear friends, somebody have any news that Garmin were launching at Oshkosh

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't have any clue, but I hope they will...

On my "dream" wish list:

- Video Ins for Camera support

- Geo-referenced Traffic over Charts (such EFS-5000)

- Aircraft System Management

- More "Utilities Tools" such E6B and conversions operations, etc...

- Improved Fuel Management page (with distance to Empty, Time to Empty, Fuel to Waypoint (from Nav), etc...)

- Support of Remote control (such GCU 476/477 or even the GTC 570... ok, I'm really dreaming now)

- Option to get the HSI in center of Synthetic Vision (again, such EFS-5000)

Phil

- More "Utilities Tools" such E6B and conversions operations, etc...

- Improved Fuel Management page (with distance to Empty, Time to Empty, Fuel to Waypoint (from Nav), etc...)

The second bullet already exists. And, why use an E6B when it can already display density altitude, true airspeed, winds, and other related items directly from sensor data? :)

mcb

Last edited:
does it? Cool then... it really makes this G3X even more attractive then!

I'll read again the pilot guide. After all, it's still the best way to know a device before to buy it :)

Phil

Looks like the marketing department has finally let the cat out of the bag:

G1.jpg

mcb

This is apparently an enourmous price reduction. The LRU kit above (MAP of $3220) is currently being sold on-line at various retailers for $6700.

Wow.

Pricing like this should make the G3X ubiquitous in the homebuilt/LSA market. I'm sure this pricing reduction has gotten the attention of our favorite experimental EFIS vendors.

Last edited:
Looks like the 695/696 prices are also reduced. Usually when there is a
big price reduction in the portables, something new is about to hit the market.
I've been wondering if there is a 696 replacement coming soon. Maybe a touch screen version?

Last edited:
I've been wondering if there is a 696 replacement coming soon. Maybe a touch screen version?

Either that or Garmin is starting to feel the heat from the wave of tablet pc's hitting the market. I expect soon enough it will be like buying a printer. The unit will be inexpensive but made up for by over inflated prices on new cartridges...err....data updates.

On the G3X it is nice to see Garmin starting to get the hang of the experimental community. They are certainly gaining momentum and it will force GRT, Advanced, Dynon, & MGL to constantly keep R&D and new products moving forward.

G3X and GX Pilot!

In addition to the G3X news, we'd like to annouce new pricing on the GX Pilot autopilot system. When purchased in conjunction with a complete G3X system the new price of the standard GX Pilot system is $2990! That's 42% off the previous retail price! High torque servos and torque enhancer requirements will be additional.

Thanks to Matt for letting me piggy back this here. ;)

As always, please let me know if there are any questions. Thanks!

Here's a snapshot of our latest ad in Sport Aviation, for those that my miss it.

2hqq82p.jpg

Lucas,
So what if we already have servos and a G3X system (all purchased from Stein) but no programmer?

I won't speak for TruTrak, but will speak for me...we'll figure something out! As you can imagine, the phone has sorta been busy.

Cheers,
Stein

GTX 23 ES transponder

Maybe Matt can roll in on this one...why Mode S ES for ADS-B and not UAT? Seems like most experimental/LSA folks would want the free (for now) weather on UAT.

I like the remote-mounted unit, though...saves me having to cut more holes in my panel!

Last edited:
I won't speak for TruTrak, but will speak for me...we'll figure something out! As you can imagine, the phone has sorta been busy.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,
I was already planning to campout at your booth to discuss the rest of my panel. :D See ya next week!

This is apparently an enourmous price reduction. The LRU kit above (MAP of $3220) is currently being sold on-line at various retailers for $6700.

Wow.

Pricing like this should make the G3X ubiquitous in the homebuilt/LSA market. I'm sure this pricing reduction has gotten the attention of our favorite experimental EFIS vendors.

My opinion is that a shake-out is going to occur in the EAB and Light Sport avionics business.

There seems to be too many suppliers and not enough business to support them. In general, these types of markets shake out to have three vendors: A price leader, a performance (high end) leader and the living-dead who struggles to make inroads both ways.

I won't publically predict who these vendors will be, but the process should lead to some good deals and innovative features.

I would also expect to see a move to cheaper hardware and more expensive software 'apps'. I think if you add up the development costs, it's software development and ongoing support for it that's becoming the biggest expense.

Let the games begin!

There seems to be too many suppliers and not enough business to support them. In general, these types of markets shake out to have three vendors: A price leader, a performance (high end) leader and the living-dead who struggles to make inroads both ways.

Totally agree!

It might sound stupid for you, but for me, that's also for this reason I'd better bet on a big brand such Garmin. They're not gonna disappear anytime soon and are surely strong enough to live while other manufactures might struggle and will try to attract more customers with lower and lower prices to the point to not have enough margin and benefits to provide great support or even to stay in the game... (Remember about Blue Mountain. Who knows who will be the next??).

Avionics became a serious part in the whole budget for a ship. So I wouldn't like to get obsolete product without future support.

The new G3X prices just make the "jump" to Garmin easier. It's also great to see they're taking Experimental/LSA market very seriously.

Congrats to them!
Phil

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say one of the drivers for the reduction in price of the 695/696 is directly related to the reduction in price of the G3X screens (the GDU370/375)...because those are now each cheaper than the respective 695/696's used to be; and they couldnt' hardly charge more for the portable than the panel mounts - at least that's my slightly biased take on it. Look at it this way, you can now get the GDU for less than the portable used to be. :)

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

G3X

Of course Garmin will have a display at Oshkosh but if Anyone is interested in seeing the G3X 3-screen system in an RV-10 with:

430W
SL30
GTS800
GTX330ES
GX pilot
PS9000

I will be parked at the RV-10 area, tail number N801VR
email or PM me if you want to meet up

By the way, for those who are interested: I'll be doing a presentation at Oshkosh each day at 12:30 PM, Monday through Saturday, in Garmin tent #2 outside Hangar D. Planning to touch briefly on general G3X features, with special emphasis on the autopilot interface - especially if I can wrangle somebody from TruTrak into the tent to share duties! The rest of the time, I'll be standing next to the G3X demo panel giving the nickel tour.

Oh, and somebody named Burt Rutan is presenting at 2:00 PM on Friday only...

mcb

switching from EIS-4000 to G3X

I am probably not the only one that already has a GRT EIS-4000 installed and wants replace it with the G3X engine monitoring. Has anyone done the due diligence and determined which EIS-4000 sensors are compatible and which ones need to be replaced when switching to the G3X?

The new pricing is just too enticing to pass up.

EGT and CHT probes should be good to go. Floscan fuel transducer will also work. Oil pressure, Oil temperature, Fuel pressure, and Manifold Pressure will have to change. G3X needs a dedicated RPM sender unlike GRT which picks up mag P lead signal. Also you will need ammeter shunts.

G3X needs a dedicated RPM sender unlike GRT which picks up mag P lead signal. Also you will need ammeter shunts.

Hmmm...that's not the way I have ours wired up - our G3X gets RPM dirctly from the P-Lead connector according to the drawing. I haven't run it yet, but the smart guys at Garmin assures me that it works (assuming you have electronic ignition of course).

Paul

Garmin Pricing

I am just sitting here stewing over the fact that I just paid over $1000 more for a G3X system that I just received 3 weeks ago. I applaud Garmin for their astute marketing strategy to conquer the LSA/Experimental markets by bringing pricing in line with other suppliers of similar equipment. However, I would hope some thought has gone (or should have gone) into the impact on those who were tempted by the lure of a $5000 rebate just 2 1/2 months ago. IMHO Garmin should now step up to the plate and retroactively apply this pricing to all of their important customers who were offered, and accepted, the incentive of the SnF rebate. Ultimately this would signify the importance Garmin places on the experimental market and it's important customer base. It's something I am certainly going to discuss with them during OSH.

Garmin Pricing

I'm in the same boat. I've run the numbers several times and bottom line is that I paid apx $2400 more than the newly announced prices (2 screen G3X with Gx pilot, rebate and dealer discount all figured in).
Just doesn't seem fare. I took the bait after Sun and Fun and then...............Smaaaack!
It is great news for everyone else however....and for that i am glad.
I'm hoping Garmin will give us the current pricing. It is the right thing to do.

Regards,

DJR

EGT and CHT probes should be good to go. Floscan fuel transducer will also work. Oil pressure, Oil temperature, Fuel pressure, and Manifold Pressure will have to change. G3X needs a dedicated RPM sender unlike GRT which picks up mag P lead signal. Also you will need ammeter shunts.

Hmmm...that's not the way I have ours wired up - our G3X gets RPM dirctly from the P-Lead connector according to the drawing. I haven't run it yet, but the smart guys at Garmin assures me that it works (assuming you have electronic ignition of course).

You're both almost right! :)

The G3X (GSU 73) RPM input can come from one of various RPM transducers, or from the tach output signal from an electronic ignition unit (single or dual). Although Paul refers to the latter as a P-lead, this is not the same as a real magneto P-lead, which can have high voltage transients on it that you definitely do not want to connect to your other electronics.

Bottom line, if you have an electronic ignition with a tach output, you can connect it straight to the RPM input. Otherwise you need an RPM transducer - ones are available that either screw into the magneto bleed port, or onto the tach drive pad on the accessory case. (note that the above applies to Lycoming or Continental engines only - Rotax and Jabiru have their own way of measuring RPM)

And to add to Dave Buckwalter's list, G3X supports the same Amploc hall effect current sensors that are used in the GRT system, so you should be able to re-use those if you already have them. I'm using a pair on my airplane.

mcb

Thanks Matt, I did forget to mention the electronic ignition tach output. We recently did a G3X retrofit in an RV-8 that has dual P mags and we took the tach signal from the P mag and it works great.

Yup - thanks Matt! I shouldn't post when I'm tired - of course the P-Mag dosn't really have a P-Lead (per se'), so it is truly a different animal than a Mag!

I am just sitting here stewing over the fact that I just paid over $1000 more for a G3X system that I just received 3 weeks ago. I applaud Garmin for their astute marketing strategy to conquer the LSA/Experimental markets by bringing pricing in line with other suppliers of similar equipment. However, I would hope some thought has gone (or should have gone) into the impact on those who were tempted by the lure of a $5000 rebate just 2 1/2 months ago. IMHO Garmin should now step up to the plate and retroactively apply this pricing to all of their important customers who were offered, and accepted, the incentive of the SnF rebate. Ultimately this would signify the importance Garmin places on the experimental market and it's important customer base. It's something I am certainly going to discuss with them during OSH.

+1.... I'm kinda miffed about this too. In the same boat.

I'm in the same boat too and haven't even recieved my units yet. That said, I also think that it's very decent of Garmin that they (according to Stein) intend to do anything for us. They certainly have no obligation to do so.
Now if they will only drop the price of all of the numerous updates, they will be truly competative! :eek:

I'm in the same boat too and haven't even recieved my units yet. That said, I also think that it's very decent of Garmin that they (according to Stein) intend to do anything for us. They certainly have no obligation to do so.
Now if they will only drop the price of all of the numerous updates, they will be truly competative! :eek:

Where did you see that? I'd take any generosity they offer to cover the spread in adding a third screen.

It appears that Garmin is going to do the right thing on this re-pricing and taking care of those who bought with the SnF rebate. It is unfortunate that it could not have been announced along with the re-pricing, in that it would certainly have caused less grief for some of us no knowing. In the end, it appears that they will be addressing the situation.

The next great announcement would be that the G3X supports ADS-B Traffic and Weather! Any comments Matt?

Thanks for the updated update price list Bill. Garmin is headed in the right direction with the database prices. I'd like to see the GTN / G3X bundle follow along. In essence, if you ponied up for both (or 3 or 4) boxes, the price hasn't changed.
still, I laud them for what they HAVE done.
I'd also like to see the system take advantage of the ADS B information. It wouldn't break my heart to be able to drop the satellite weather subscription price burden either!

Back