What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil door picts with latches?

mark manda

Well Known Member
got picts of oil doors with latches, cam locs or push buttons? Plz no elephant ears. :eek:

I hid my 7A's with a pull wire but on our present project it has the round inlets so I can't do a pull cable or wire.

also, anybody have the phone number for the store "Lucky's" in Burbank,CA?

thanks

Cam Locs

Mark,
I fitted cam locs, but rarely use them as I always remove the upper cowl (cam locs) for the DI.
They are very neat, but do require a phillips head screw driver, so if you are fitting hinge pin cowls, which you probably wouldn't remove for DIs, you might be better off with push latches to check the oil.

I have just found out that I must be either dyslexic or have a Capt?s ego, as all the photos of my aircraft are from the Port side.
I will however, take just one from the starboard side, of the oil door, if it would help.
Pete.

what is the thing that you push to open the door called again? i know for got the name of the special push button hinge?

mashy73 said:
what is the thing that you push to open the door called again? i know for got the name of the special push button hinge?

If you're talking the latches, you probably mean Hartwell latches - they look and work great! I have two of them on my oil door, oriented fore and aft,and they hold extremely well. ACS had surplus ones for a very low price early last year.

Paul

Got pics

072120050014ah.jpg

072120050025oc.jpg

I just riveted 3 pieces of angle together for the hidden hinge. Hinge is on the inside. Sorry no more pics.

Roger Ping
RV-9
86 hrs

good stuff. since I have a small 4.25" door I hope I can get away with one Hartwell like Randy did.

I walked over and took a look at an Archer 3 and it had a nice D shaped door with a push button.

I'm using the fancy D bracket from AXi ??? that I bought for the RV but couldn't mount the latch so I saved it for this project.

BTW-- don't hang stuff for priming with safety wire. :eek:

mark manda said:
....got picts of oil doors with latches, cam locs or push buttons?......
For years, and after looking at countless RV oil doors at Oshkosh and other places, I never really saw an example that "grabbed" me. Then one day, as I observed a young student preflighting a C-172, inspiration finally struck. How I got a pair of the latches is a story in itself nevertheless, I lay claim to being the first RV builder to close and latch an RV oil door using KM610-64 Camlocs.

14xoz01.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 122 hours

Last edited:
Whre did you get the camlocs?

Rick

Where did you get the camloc's? I have been looking for them for years.

oil door

Here is a picture of my door closed

And here is one of it open. No stinkin hinge! I use a piece of .063 aluminum for the door and just curve it to match the natural lines of the cowling. It fits the recess perfectly and is quite snug when in stalled. If you use this idea do not forget where you got it!!!
Tom Martin
F1 EVO wing, my seventh project

BooBoo

Those flush cam locks rectangular are great but some have some serious spring pressure. I remember one smacked my finger nail one cold morning and it hurt! Just watch the snap action.

I was not going the way Roberta did with the flush quick turns. The need for a screwdriver actually is cool with me, but the round version of the cam lock, looks like it "Pops" down inside away from my delicate fingers. I may go that way. I have seen them around at different vendors. They are not cheap, but cool. G

Last edited:
Tom,

I like the simplicity of your solution. Any regrets or second thoughts about doing it this way?

I just returned from a store in Burbank,CA that DanC recommended.

Way in the back, around the corner in a little area was an assortment of about 10 different Hartwell's.

6400 models are the ones I liked IIRC.

And then I had to spend awhile deciding on what spacing/depth/offset to get.

I bought some with .041, .072, .091 and a pair with .250"

George-- you're right about the spring strength-- they had two designs regarding springs. the one's with cheapy twin coil springs(felt perfect) and the ones that were mouse trap shaped-- incredible spring strength.

DanC told me the surplus price was .99 each. They went up in price--$1.00.

thanks for the input, all those doors look great especially the elephant eared one. REALLY!

Hidden Hinge baggage/oil door

I know a couple of years ago I ran across an article on how to make the hidden baggage door hinge and oil door hinge. I'm ready to do those now and can not find the article. I thought it was under downloads on this site. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Here's pics of my new oil door. After 155 hours and an attempt at using a key lock, then replacing it with elephant ear camlocs, I got sick of the look of the camlocs and the peeling paint.

This door is a lot lighter than my reinforced fiberglass door. It's held open with a torsion spring on the hinge so that there is no danger of forgetting to latch it during pre-flight. This is a Camloc latch--- very light, works exceeding well and is easy to install.

I don't need two because it's an aluminum door-- it doesn't soften up and curl at the edges like my old fiberglass door (and doubler).

Paint will come later. Leaving it alodined for now so that everyone notices my new look!

IMG_0222_1.JPG

IMG_0224_2.JPG

IMG_0228_3.JPG

Another one

Here's another with the Hartwell latches. If I'd known, I may have gone with the AL door like Vern. Very cool.

IMG_0479.jpg

Oil Door

Wow very nice. I was just going to start mine tonight with the same hinge but fiberglass door and two camlocs. I think you just changed my plan of attack.

I used the hinge wire mthod...

I have round inlets (sam James cowl) so I pull the wire from the cockpit (inside a 1/8th brake tube as a guide).

Its a tip up do the wire comes into to the cockpit behind the canopy rail...I.e the closed canopy holds the hinge in place.

Frank

Latches

Does anyone know if these are any different than the ones Rick Galati has? In the catalog picture they look to be missing a big part of the latching assembly even though the part number is the same....:confused:

Last edited:
Anybody know where to get these push button latches now? Vern's link doesn't seem to have them in stock anymore.

Thanks.

I'm getting a lot of requests on where I got the Camloc latch. The part number is KM610-64.

If you want some surplus ones for cheap, try http://www.surplussales.com/Cab-RacksHardware/Latches.html

These are so cheap that I dismantled a second one to get the torsion spring for my hinge.

Vern

Here's pics of my new oil door. After 155 hours and an attempt at using a key lock, then replacing it with elephant ear camlocs, I got sick of the look of the camlocs and the peeling paint.

This door is a lot lighter than my reinforced fiberglass door. It's held open with a torsion spring on the hinge so that there is no danger of forgetting to latch it during pre-flight. This is a Camloc latch--- very light, works exceeding well and is easy to install.

I don't need two because it's an aluminum door-- it doesn't soften up and curl at the edges like my old fiberglass door (and doubler).

Paint will come later. Leaving it alodined for now so that everyone notices my new look!

IMG_0222_1.JPG

IMG_0224_2.JPG

IMG_0228_3.JPG

Where did my oil door go???

Brilliant idea. I Love the clean look and simplicity, but it would really suck if you forget where you put it. I'd be afraid of misplacing it or dropping it (chipping the paint) :eek:

Here is a picture of my door closed

And here is one of it open. No stinkin hinge! I use a piece of .063 aluminum for the door and just curve it to match the natural lines of the cowling. It fits the recess perfectly and is quite snug when in stalled. If you use this idea do not forget where you got it!!!
Tom Martin
F1 EVO wing, my seventh project

Alulminum Oil Door

Vern
What thickness is the aluminum you used for the door???

Thanks
Ron
9A

oil door

The latches used on later model Cessna singles look much nicer. Also putting a fairly large radius on the corners of the doors gives a much nicer appearance.

Back