What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to support plane for tire change

albertaflyer

Hi all,

Just wondering where the best place is to support the plane to change main gear tires? Also, what make of tire do most use. I was also going to check to see if there is any camber on the wheels I did notice that all the wear has been on the outside of the tire on both sides but more so on the passenger side. Should they have a little toe in or just parallel? Any info appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I use a hoist with a strap around the top of the motor mount to pick up the plane. Something on the opposite wingtip, like a bag of dog food or something, will keep the other tire on the ground while you do the work. Always put some support, like a few 2x4s, under the axle when the tire is off, just in case.
On the RV6, there is no adjustment for tire toe in, etc. I just made a habit of rotating tires on the rim and from side to side to even out the wear. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to inspect the wheels, tires and brakes on a regular basis.

Aircraft Jacks

A bolt in the wing tie down and an aircraft jack works very well. On a 6A you can jack both wings at the same time but on the 6 you have to jack one at a time or tie the tail down if your jacking both sides at the same time.

I use a hoist with a strap around the top of the motor mount to pick up the plane. Something on the opposite wingtip, like a bag of dog food or something, will keep the other tire on the ground while you do the work. Always put some support, like a few 2x4s, under the axle when the tire is off, just in case.
On the RV6, there is no adjustment for tire toe in, etc. I just made a habit of rotating tires on the rim and from side to side to even out the wear. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to inspect the wheels, tires and brakes on a regular basis.

Same here - and if you put the strap around the mount near the top firewall bolt on the side you are lifting you don't need the bag of Iams :)

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

My RV-6 will be 14-years old in September. I have always used the same inexpensive and safe way to service the wheels -n- tires.

P1010512.JPG

P1010514.JPG

P1010520.JPG

P1010522.JPG

Last three sets of tires have been Wilkerson Aircraft Tire retreads. Last set was $50 per tire delivered with their core. It is less to have your core retread but the shipping cost plus the work cost more than buying their retread core. They use Goodyear cores and last longer than any other tire that I have tried. IF I were to buy new, I would buy Goodyear as they cost the least per landing of any of the tires that I have tried.

I use 4 X 4 blocks that are abut 8" long as cribbing under the axle while the wheel is off. Two go on the ground parallel to the axle and one or two more will go across those perpendicular with the axle lowered onto the block.

Works great. Inexpensive and there is no way the aircraft wing will fall off the jack at the wing tie town and have the jack go through the wing. Yes I know someone that had that happen. A good USA made quality hose clamp is all it takes. Mine stay on the airplane at all times as you can tell from the dust.

At one time, Van's Aircraft sold a jack kit. This is what it looked like if you want to make your own.

photo%2525202.jpg

The over 90 degree bend is from using them one time.

photo%2525203.jpg

I fit a small exhaust pipe u bolt clamp in a similar way to Gary Sobek then lift with a small vehicle scissor style jack.

The exhaust clamp can be positioned easily and the nuts tightend down hard to give some security during the change.

I also chock the other wheels, just in case the aeroplane is bumped during the process.

Also, the kit is small enough to carry on a trip.

Doug

Last edited:
A bolt in the wing tie down and an aircraft jack works very well. On a 6A you can jack both wings at the same time but on the 6 you have to jack one at a time or tie the tail down if your jacking both sides at the same time.

Agreed (on 7A). Also if you tie down the tail you can jack up all three tires off the ground this way. Works wonderfully during annual when you're servicing all three wheels.

We have a large weight made of concrete and an old automotive rim.

I use my engine hoist on the step. Pad the lifting chain and keep it close to the down tube. The lifting hook on the engine serves to get the nosewheel in the air.

I use my engine hoist on the step. Pad the lifting chain and keep it close to the down tube. The lifting hook on the engine serves to get the nosewheel in the air.

I would never attempt to lift my plane via the steps. Folks just using the step as intended can cause cracking and failure--the load imposed on that thin-wall tubing is considerable when used as a jack-point. There are several good ways to hoist the plane safely and with little potential for misfortune.

Last edited:
Back