What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DANGER! Look what we found on top of the engine yesterday!

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Yesterday, the wifey and me took the RV to a small Swedish town to have dinner. After the return flight, as usual we parked the RV outside our hangar so we could wash the bugs off.

While we where working with that, I noticed a small bird which was sitting on the propeller on a plane in a nearby hangar belonging to the local aeroclub. A few seconds later, the bird was gone.
Fair enough, but a few minutes later, I noticed another bird sitting on the same spot.

I became alittle suspicious and we went over the plane to have a closer look and here's a few pics of what we found:

Everything looks pretty normal from here, right?

And here...?

But what about now...??

Yep, there's definetely something in here which is NOT manifactured by Piper...

We took the cowling off the plane and here's what we saw:

The little birdie had picked the right spot too: right in front of the oilcooler...

I'm glad the nest was empty, otherwise we would've turned into babybird-killers.... or maybe egg-destroyers... :confused:

It was alittle sad to destroy this very nice home for the bird, because it was so very well made and it must have been ALOT of work!

But we took all the bit's & pieces out, finished the job by using a vacuum-cleaner which I keep in my hangar, put the cowling back on and then the trusty old Piper where ready for another flight.

We also put spunges in the intakes and wrote a BIG note about the spunges and hung it on the propeller.

So I guess the moral of this story is: take a REAL close look in the intakes when you do the preflight inspection....

PS: I'll check how long it was since that plane flew and post an update in a couple of days. It'll be interesting to know how long time it takes for a bird to build a nest.
As you can see, there was feathers along the edges, so my guess is that this nest has had both eggs and new birds in it.

Last edited:
Cowl Plugs

This is why we install our cowl plugs at every fly-in and when we park the plane for the night in our hanger. A friend of mine had owls build a nest in his mooney overnight. Rats and mice can build a nest in an hour. Industrious little critters.

The planes in the shade port here at our airport all have nests in the cowls as well as in the tail. The birds get in behind the fairings in the tail and build nests. Long term bird infestation is noticalbe by **** all over the H-tail but I have seen birds build a nest in 2 days. Please check all gaps, not just the cowls, as the birds will find them especially if the plane is outside at airport near open farm land. How many airports in the US does that describe?
I use cowl plugs in my hanger.

I'm always asked why I use cowl plugs, pitot cover, and close the canopy in the hanger and this is one of the biggest reasons. It is not unusual for me to open my hanger door and find a bird flying around. Glad you caught that, I'll bet many people don't do a thorough pre-flight inspection on their hangared plane which includes looking into the cowling through the inlets and oil door.

Back when I had my C-170B...

In the past I have cleaned out a bird nest, flown the airplane, put it in the "open" hangar and gone for lunch, came back to find the bird's almost completely rebuilt in just a couple of hours.
Once they have built, they WILL return!

doesn't look like a set of eggs hatched out, the baby birds would have fouled the whole area with droppings. pretty clean really.

A Bonanza owner at my airport found a bird nest in the same location in front of the oil cooler this weekend. His plane is hangared too, in a very nice closed hangar that you wouldn't expect birds to be able to get inside. The oil cooler was completely covered by the bird nest. Luckily it was found before any flight.

*Someone* installed the cowl plugs but left the oil cooler door open (doh!)... this was over 3 days in St Louis in early June '11. Your birds were much neater than mine...these guys/gals went for quantity not quality.

Not just in the plane!

About a month ago, I was looking at the shelves in our hangar that hold completed assemblies and new parts for our project plane, and noticed that the box for the oil cooler, which I had left open, sitting on a shelf about five feet up, has a couple of bits of straw sticking out. reaching up to see how that had gotten in that, I was startled out of my socks by a bird flying out!! I almost dropped the oil cooler right then and there, but managed to to hang on - and inside the open box was a nest with three eggs. Knowing it was probably futile, but not wanting to give up a brand new Niagara 20002A to the birds, I relocated the nest to a nearby tree.

Inside the hangar, up on a shelf....no place is safe!

Paul

We have an active nest in the shelves in our garage. The birds fly in and out through a little gap where 4" of the foam sealing strip is missing on the garage door.

I was in Sulphur Springs Tx, a couple of years ago visiting the outlaws. I noticed some poo inside one of the cowl air intakes. Hmm, better check. Yep, a full blown nest had been installed on top of the cylinders in the day the airplane had been parked on the ramp.

About a month ago, I was looking at the shelves in our hangar that hold completed assemblies and new parts for our project plane, and noticed that the box for the oil cooler, which I had left open, sitting on a shelf about five feet up, has a couple of bits of straw sticking out. reaching up to see how that had gotten in that, I was startled out of my socks by a bird flying out!! I almost dropped the oil cooler right then and there, but managed to to hang on - and inside the open box was a nest with three eggs. Knowing it was probably futile, but not wanting to give up a brand new Niagara 20002A to the birds, I relocated the nest to a nearby tree.

Paul, have you considered the possibility that birds just really love FWF parts, wherever they may happen to be? :)

Several years back, a couple guys from RANS came out to our local EAA chapter (now defunct) to show off one of their airplanes. After a nice show and tell and a picnic lunch, they went to fire up and discovered that the birds had built the beginnings of a big nest right on top of their Rotax while they were away. We couldn't believe the amount of stuff they had managed to pack in there in just a couple hours. I always think about this when I'm peering into the cowl inlets looking for tell-tale signs of bird activity...

mcb

Loved the photographic story! The play-by-play made your event more suspenseful! Haha

-Desser Tires
Twitter: @dessertire

The bird..

... built that nest in two days.... maximum!

I've checked the Cherokee's records now, and when we found the nest, the plane had been sitting on the ground for two days.

Ofcourse I'm now assuming that the pilot who flew the plane at that time, did a through preflightcheck and made sure the where no nests at that time.

Based on the reponses here in this tread, it looks quite possible that the nest could have been built during those two days.

All planes at my aeroclub are now beeing parked with spunges every time...

For the record: my -7 has been parked with Vans intake-covers since day 1...:)

Inside the hangar, up on a shelf....no place is safe!

Paul

..did you have an omlette for breakfast..? :p

Some years ago I worked for a corporate flight department based at Dallas Love. The tin roof of our hangar was getting rusty so it was decided to replace it. As the roofers proceeded to work much insulation and other trash hit the floor. As I was walking across one day I noticed a nest that had been knocked down. Except for droppings and feathers it was composed 100% of safety wire clippings. Must have been a genuine airport bird. :)

Back