VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Default RV-12 Accident

While I was on vacation this week, I got an email from one of the partners on 331RV. The canopy wasn't latched on takeoff so he aborted the takeoff, bounced once, then brought it down. The result was a collapsed nose gear, obvious deflection/bend to each of the main gear, a messed up firewall, and a deformed baggage area. I was finally able to get pictures today...

Despite being on facebook, this album claims to be publicly visible, so no account necessary: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4&l=100afd9ce7
Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 PM

I am really sorry to hear about the mishap. I hope the occupant was not injured. I know its got to be a very sad feeling.
-PAID 2014-
Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Default Accident

Oh man what an Pity to such a Beautiful Aircraft Long as there where no Injures Guys..!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Default So Sorry

Erich,
I hope sharing the damage helps spread some of the pain. We all feel bad and wish you the best with your repairs. Your pictures show that organization and planning has been started. I admire your resolve.

Pete
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Hang in there. Nothing I see cannot be repaired back to "factory new" keep us all informed as to your assessment of damage, plans for repairs, and progress in those repairs. Documentation of this event will be of great value to others in the future.

Best of luck.

So..... how was the vacation?

Sorry, maybe a little early for gallows humor.
RV-15 : High Wing E-LSA On Order, w/ Removable Door Option.

Last edited by Geico266 : 06-03-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 PM

The vacation was nice Went to Hawaii with the family.

The damage is depressing, but nothing too bad... At least both side skins and the bottom skin are going to need replacement as well as a few pieces inside the baggage compartment. The firewall and all 3 gear legs need replacement as well, in addition to a couple of the skins around the gear legs.

I'm also hoping that the fuel tank is OK, the right side is much more buckled in back there, so hopefully it didn't dent the tank!

Fortunately no one was hurt, and we have insurance, but we were really looking forward to flying to Oskosh this year, so this will make that impossible if we repaint before, or very difficult otherwise.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 PM

Default Bummer and something to learn from

Oh man, that's a bummer. Very glad to hear everyone is ok!

I remember reading about another bummer of a crash in San Diego with a Sportcruiser / Piper Sport. The pilot was trying to latch the canopy on short final and hit the power lines for the Trolly and flipped over via the nose. Pilot was ok.

My instructor always drilled me ... fly the plane ... fly the plane and watch where you are going. With an open canopy, just do a go around even if on take off. It can rattle all it wants, paper will fly out, it might be noisy, other folks will look at you.... **no big deal** just continue on and deal with it on the ground.

I wish I could have shared my knowledge with the guy before he went flying.

Hope the repairs go quickly, and he's back having fun flying soon.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Sorry for 331RV's misfortune. I have not experienced flying with the 12 pop top unlatched. I did commit this error twice some years ago when flying a pop top RV6A . Continuing the takeoff and flying the pattern to land was not a problem. The top is sucked up about 6 inches or so and did not affect flying at all.
Dick Seiders
Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick seiders View Post
Sorry for 331RV's misfortune. I have not experienced flying with the 12 pop top unlatched. I did commit this error twice some years ago when flying a pop top RV6A . Continuing the takeoff and flying the pattern to land was not a problem. The top is sucked up about 6 inches or so and did not affect flying at all.
Dick Seiders
I imagine that is exactly what would happen on the 12 as well, but it was enough to distract the pilot :/
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Default The unexpected

The unlatched canopy is a like an open door on conventional low-wing singles (Rv-10s are another story.) It is not an emergency, it is a nuisance. The biggest problem is fighting the urge to "do something." Other than uttering an expletive, ignore it and return for landing. Better yet, use a checklist and avoid the issue.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA