What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying the Gulf Coast-Port Morgan to Pensacola-Part I

Mikey

Well, the Corps of Engineers has done pretty good in managing the Mississippi River through this season's above average flow and things didn't get as exciting as it appears that they would a month or so ago when the Val got to fly down the Atchafalay. But, today, I got to fly from Houston to Pensacola along the coast and see the rest of the lower Atchafalaya Basin plus the MS River Delta. What sights to see! I'm glad I had a geologist and a GPS along to find the various sights! I have to have something to brag about to the Valkyrie!

We started our sightseeing over Morgan City, which has been in the news a lot lately. No damage noted, but this will someday be the main course of the biggest river in North America.
IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

From there, we flew towards Houma, soon leaving the Atchafalaya River part of the delta and entering the Mississippi River part.
IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

We then flew around New Orleans, on the south side. If you look closely at the next photo, you can see the city and, most prominently, the infamous Superdome.
IMG_0931.JPG

Back