What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling Mistake and Universal Rivets

CDBridgesRV7A

Good Day All,

I'm working on my VS for my RV7A. I made a mistake when I went to dimple the ribs and spars. I forgot to look at the plans to see what rivets were being used. Holding the skin to the frame is AN426 flush rivets, but attaching the ribs to the spars is AN 470 universal rivets. I mistakenly dimpled the holes that are going to be filled with a AN470 rivet.

Is there any chance of the rivet popping out, as we are not supposed to dimple holes for universal rivets? If there is a chance of the rivet popping out how can I undimple the holes? Would the best option be to just buy new ribs and spars (only need 1 spar and 4 ribs - $50 max plus shipping)?

As always, thanks for the help!

Cheers

Chris

How bout if you just flattened the dimpled hole with your squeezer. You can put the flat heads on both ends of the yoke, like you would while squeezing a 426 rivet,...that should flatten the hole pretty good. I wouldn't think this err would call for new parts though., but who am I to say.

Flatten the dimple

I *think* you can flatten out those dimples 1 time and still use the rib just fine. ANything more than that and you might have issues. I wouldn't rivet the piece together without flattening the dimple / buying a new part.

I do not remember where I heard or read this, so maybe someone with more experience than I can verify / debunk.

John
RV-7
Spring, TX

Vans has said before that if you dimple a part the wrong way, then you can redimple it the right way...but you can only do so one time.

Or you could check with Van's to see if you could just go ahead and use 426's where you dimpled instead of trying to "fix" the dimple for 470s.

You may flatten the dimple and use a universal rivet or you can leave the dimple and use a 426 rivet. Either way will work fine.
Just don't leave the dimple and use a universal rivet.

Thanks....

.....for the replies! I think I'm going to try and flatten the dimples and use an AN470 rivet. If this starts off as a painful process then I'll just rivet the parts together with an AN 426 rivet (and leave the dimple as is).

Thanks

Chris

I don't think vans will want you dimpling or countersinking the spar holes to accept the rib dimples

I Changed My Mind!

After drilling out one of the AN 470 rivets that I had set into a dimpled hole, and that hole became twice the size that it should have been :eek: , I decided to just order all new parts from Vans. For $54 + shipping, I figured the cost was negligible compared to the safety of myself and my wife when flying this completed aircraft. I'd really hate for the tail to fall off in mid flight :eek:

I am frustrated to say the least but lesson learned and time to move on. While I'm waiting for those parts to arrive, I'll get started on the HS. No harm. no foul!

Cheers

Chris

Dont feel bad

After drilling out one of the AN 470 rivets that I had set into a dimpled hole, and that hole became twice the size that it should have been :eek: , I decided to just order all new parts from Vans. For $54 + shipping, I figured the cost was negligible compared to the safety of myself and my wife when flying this completed aircraft. I'd really hate for the tail to fall off in mid flight :eek:

I am frustrated to say the least but lesson learned and time to move on. While I'm waiting for those parts to arrive, I'll get started on the HS. No harm. no foul!

Cheers

Chris

Dont feel bad, my goal for my RV6 with no pre-punch, was to make it flawless. What I have done looks real nice, but I too have mistakes in rivet placement and head style. Sometimes it can be fixed by the next size or different style head, if it does not affect the integrity. Keep going and replace parts when necessary or just too much shame affects you.

I had to order one fuselage part two times because I installed it twice and was still messed up. Take more time and build it in your mind before you put a tool to it!

See some of my stuff http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/toms/Plane_proj.asp

Back