What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Really Short Field Operations

Bill_H

Well Known Member
OK, I know my RV-12 is not designed to be a STOL machine. But behind my shop I have a ridge line where I can clear out a runway about 200 feet wide but only about 1350 feet long. It would have no obstacles at the far end (the hill drops off) and the 20 foot tall barn at the other.

It does get windy up here on the ridge...

My elevation is 1200 MSL. I've read every post about "short" and "field" and also the POH. Looks very marginal for some loading and temperature conditions.

Luckily, I would have many months at the local airport (and a nearby grass field available too) for practice before my airstrip could have good grass on it.

What do you already-flying guys think about this? How does your short field t/o and landing experience compare to the book numbers? Particularly on grass? Suggestions? I have 1000 hours but mostly in planes like Bonanzas - not very transferable to this bird! And unfortunately, the training and rental situation where I live is not good. No LSAs for rent nearby. But again, there is the practice time I would have. I'm just wondering if the strip will be practical.

A very timely article on building a grass strip is in this month's Sport Aviation.

You can easily fly a -12 off that strip.

Mark off 1,000' on the grass runway at your airport and practice coming in "on the numbers". The -12 can easily land in 600-700'. One nice feature of the -12 is the control you have at very low airspeeds. Those flapperons are amazing, even in a stall there is aileron control.

Last edited:
Bill,

Unless I'm wrong, you're up by Gaston's. If you ever get down Ft Worth way, let met know I'll show you how mine gets off our grass strip. 1300' is not an issue...even in the heat of summer. Larry is right...it is any amazing "slow flight" aircraft.

Pete

My only comment is - -

For sure get experience elsewhere. I am spoiled and land on a 5500' concrete runway. I sometimes carelessly come in 10 - 20 kts too fast, and can float for 2000'. Expereince first, then you could.

John Bender

Thanks guys - good advice! Yes, I am fairly near Gaston's. I will initially have the plane at Flippin airport in a hangar (Note: this is where you can actually hear over the loudspeaker, "Welcome to our Flippin Walmart!") I figured the landing would not be a problem, (with practice) actually I was more worried about a loaded-up takeoff. I'll probably keep the prop in climb pitch for initial ops here. And thanks for the Ft. Worth offer!

Bill H. Just started on the canopy.

Discipline!

Bill, even my -10 can land in under 1,000' but it takes discipline. Our EAA chapter's runway is 2700' and it's comfortable but we tend to get lax on my home base's 5,000 asphalt.

Lately, I've started disciplining myself to make every landing a short field landing, precisely controlling airspeed, staying aware of gliding distances in the event of an engine failure.

Best,

Advice for a high approach angle?

Im in an rv-8 with a 150hp and wood prop so its not like the -12 but also not like the -10. I was working a 1900' field yesturday and could not dial in a landing on the end that has 60' trees close at one end. I was always too long and executing a go around. When the winds changed, I had no problem on the opposite end with no obstructions. I would estimate I was about 25' over the road (no power lines or other obstructions) on that approach end.

I'll practice at a near by airport and would like any suggestions for dealing with the trees on final.

Back