What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second RV-7A on Floats, well sorta

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
A buddy of mine sent me this email along with the pictures. He keeps his plane at West Kentucky Airpark near Paducah, KY
------------------------------------------
I always wanted a plane on floats but this is not what I had in mind. These pictures were taken on Tuesday, the water has risen another 14+ inches since. By the time I received the call, it was to late, I could not fly the plane out, I was at mother natures mercy. We met at Ed's house yesterday and ended up using a quad to pull the boats to a point to get them in the water to get back to the airport. We had to cross wheat field to accomplish this. By the time I got to the plane yesterday, it was in a nose down configuration but floating. The engine was not under water, yet?. I added two more floats, one under each wing, and one more under the nose to help level it. The water was very cold and the outside air temp was not much better. The water is nasty, it is filled with gas, oil, sewage, snakes, and I can't forget about the leaches. At this time I am totally dependent on the floats. If I could get the door open I would attempt to float it to dry ground but seeing that there really is not much of that either then there is no since even trying. I cannot really complain to much because there are alot of people losing there homes. It is a hard thing to watch and witness. Some of us has lost a home in hurricane Andrew so we know the feeling.
Ed's hangar is in bad shape as well, When we have the Fly-In don't be to surprised if you see another jug for "Flood Relief" donations, just kidding.
Sam

DSC02914.JPG" height="480" width="640"

DSC02909.JPG" height="480" width="640"

DSC02905.JPG" height="480" width="640"

Last edited:
Tough spot, genius resolution...

I got the same pictures from Sam. I also so the pictures of the Tech Welding shop. Bad situation. I think the raft idea is perfect. Absolutely makes the best of a bad situation. It appears that the damage will be concentrated to the gear. Perhaps brakes & bearings, and he will be back in service. Might even get it in there for less than the insurance deductible.

Sad to see that happen to anyone, really brings it home when it is someone you know.

Ben

hang in there and keep er floating. thats a great idea. been through 3 floods at my house since 1995. the smell is , well, unique. we had 24 inches of rain in 24 hours back in 95. that put 2 plus feet of water in my house with no warning. ouch. hopn it doesnt get any higher in the plane for you. good luck.

The rafts are a great idea, but if you could find styrofoam like they use on floating docks, they wouldn't leak air for a potential sinking. Good luck and I hope the water levels drop soon.

How far from the river does this type flooding occur?

Ron,
Depends on the extents of the flood plain, which is determined by the topography around the river. Lots of low lying land around the river means those floods can go a long way. Steeply rising land means they won't go as far. Your county services department should have a map showing the flood plains in your area. Find your airport on that map and you'll have an idea what kind of danger you face.

Best,

The airport is located more than an hour away from where I work. By the time I received a call and made it too the airport, it was to late, water was over the runway and the storms just lingered over head. I constantly kept an eye on the NOAA "projected" water levels. According to NOAA's projection only the tires were going to get wet, wrong, within a hour NOAA increased its projections by 4 more feet. At one point the tires floated 2' above the hangar floor below. Sometimes we're only as good as the information given and have to adjust our decisions as things change.
Good news, my RV is back on its feet and water never touched the wings or fuselage. The airport is a mess and water still covers the runway, now starts the clean-up effort. I was very fortunate but many others were not.

There was an airport in the LA area (I think) that had horrific flooding earlier this year. Water almost covered the hangars in some areas. Some planes were submerged.

There was an airport in the LA area (I think) that had horrific flooding earlier this year. Water almost covered the hangars in some areas. Some planes were submerged.

That was Corona, in orange county south of LA.

It's happening right now at Dewtt-Spain airport in Memphis.

See some video here . This was shot several days before the crest.

The water is over the tops of the personnel doors even on the highest hangars on the north end of the field.

My RV-8 was hoisted on a lift, but the higher than expected crest got to it, won't know for a few weeks how bad it is.

Most of the hangars were empty, and we got most of the the flyable aircraft out, but several airplanes are completely under water, including an irreplaceable Curtis Robin.

Lots of stuff (toolboxes, etc.) was left on tables and shelves in hangars higher than the expected crest that are now under water.

Not happy...

Man, those pics are hard to look at... The good news, if there is any, is that no loss of life occurred...

Back