What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Transition Training - Part 2

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
This week I was back with Mike Seager preparing for that first flight. I learned so much about the RV-10 last time plus I just had plain fun flying it that I decided to come back and improve. This time I came back with my father-in-law and did we ever hit the two most perfect days in Oregon ever. It was clear blue skies, 65-70 degrees and totally awesome.
We met Mike at Scappoose KSPB
By the way, here is how you can contact Mike Seager and go fly with him.
Again, trust me it will be worth it.

His e-mail is [email protected]
Hanger number: 503-429-1562
Cell number: 503-709-5975
Also, his wife makes some nice shirts which I purchased as well while I was there.www.rvshirtsnmore.com

OK, back to the flights. I flew for two days with Mike and it was a great break for me from painting. I flew up to Portland from Salt Lake on Monday night and met Mike at 10:00am on Tuesday. We flew N410RV twice on Tuesday and twice on Wednesday.
I now have 44 landings and 8.5 hours in N410RV. I'm not going to bore you with all the details but I will say a few things about what I learned.

On Tuesday morning we took the plane up and did a bunch of stalls to determine where the stall speeds are. Now, the OAT was around 40 degrees, we had almost full fuel and two of us were in front with no passengers on this hop. (around 390 lbs. up front)
Just a note, all numbers are in mph (I know but that is what I wrote down and what Van's displays in his plane)

Power off 30 degrees flaps - 70 mph
Power off 20 degrees flaps - 76 mph
Power off 0 degrees flaps - 84 mph
Power off (reflex) - 85 mph

Climb out, no flaps, 25 square - 78 mph

With only two of us up front and no one in back with 30 degrees flaps on final approach the trim would not release all back pressure, but with 20 degrees, no problem. I did landings with both 20 and 30 degrees and really liked the landings with only 20 degrees with two of us and no weight in the back. On my first flight I will plan on 20 degrees. Also, on takeoff with 20 degrees the plane loves to leap in the air fast. OK, all the take-offs are fast but with 20 it is even faster.

Let me also say a couple of things about performance. I know many of you are concerned about speed but our ground speed averaged right around 172 knots the whole time. This plane is awesome and gets you were you want to go fast. Everytime I looked down at the ground speed we were either going 165 knots on the low end into the wind to 186 knots with the wind (there was not much wind either day). I will put some pictures in that I took.

On our final flight we had some fun and headed to the coast and landed at a few airports. We landed at Astoria , Seaside Airport , Nehalem Bay State Airport which was really cool, and the final airport which I call the "Graduation Airport" Pacific City. This airport is tucked into the city and is 1800 ft. in length and 30 ft. wide. We had a little cross wind and it was really fun to land at. There was no stop and go at this airport. On the takeoff we set the flaps to 20 degrees, pushed that throttle forward and we were climbing so fast I didn't even have time to look at the gauge.
This was my fifth hop with Mike and a great way to end my training with him.

Again, thanks Mike.

65342770-M.jpg

65345538-L-1.jpg

Awesome

Scott... very nice pics. i spent 2 years interning for Intel and explored that entire area by car. i can't wait to do it some day by air, like you have. What a dream come true!

I can't wait to hear more on your progress!

Jae

Back