Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 AM

Default GPS dilemma -Garmin 430W vs. GTN 650 Plz Help.

Hello,

Maybe someone can chime in regarding GPS choices.

In the middle of installing a 430W which was bought new in December.
Only have the antenna installed (same antenna GTN650 uses)
and am making a wire harness, so basically the 430 is still new in the box.

I am pondering selling the new 430W (taking a $1+k loss i assume)
and buying a new GTN 650.

Questions.. in a nutshell and simple explanation. what will the 650
give me other than the touchscreen. I read it now has airways?
Otherwise it doesnt look too much different than the 430?

I also worry about future ADS-B compatability as well as support from Garmin.
Even though Garmin says it will sell the 430w new for a few more years, I am hearing from several people it is already been listed in the discontinued section of Garmins website.

My biggest concern is I will spend the $8k to put this 430W in and
a year from now I will be needing or wanting the 650.

I am connecting the 430W to a 496 panel mounted.
So I will have all the features of the 496 as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 AM

Wink

"Even though Garmin says it will sell the 430w new for a few more years, I am hearing from several people it is already been listed in the discontinued section of Garmins website".

This not true, they discontinued the the 430, not the "W". I'm sure many will upgrade over time but for most of us there is not much incentive to make change. I was surprised that Garmin did not make a plug and play for the new 650 and did not offer a trade in program. There are a lot of 430Ws out there and I don't beleave people are talking about spending $10,000 more dollars to have a touch screen. Sure it has some nice new features and it looks "great" but the 430W is a fine tool and if you know how to use it, it works great. I would rather put the money in to synthetic vision or many other things, who knows? I'm waiting for the 950, I hear its going to be even better!!
Pittstown, New Jersey

2014 Donation
Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Garmin needs to state that they will not orphan the 430/530 (W or plain) series units.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 AM

I also upgraded to a 430W at the first of the year and wasn't pleased to see the new 650 but I think that the new units don't add enough to make me want to change. I don't have to have the latest and greatest just want trouble free and depenable. What will linking the 496 to your 430W allow you to do? Good luck with your install.
Dave
Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 AM

I think the confusion on if the website was due to the fact that they must have had an error or some one screwed up. For a day or two, they did show the 530W & 430W as discontinued but only on some of their webservers. Luck of the draw on what version you got.

I think that has been corrected now if you go to their site, there is an automatic filter option turned on that removes the 530W & 430W series. Uncheck that filter and they show up as current products...
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, MAG/P-MAG Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM

I think if it was me and was at the build time, I would at least look more into its new futures/adds-on and possibly change to 650 despite a $1000 or so loss and another $$$ extra for the new unit. However, I am very leery on touch screen function and seriously doubt my ability to manipulate it during some turbulence with the kind of ease that would be to my comfort level during an IFR approach

Not knowing your other instruments, I believe the difference in $$$ can go in other places that would give me much more bang for the buck. I love my syntactic vision/EIFS and the updates and new features that are coming to those, often for free. Now days you can have geo-referenced approach plate on EIFS and/or IPAD, how long before Garmin comes up with new features to their already expensive unit?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Garmin isn't scared quite yet (and will charge lots of $$$) because nobody has a WAAS unit that can compete!
Lancaster, PA l RV-7 #3898 l Empennage l N627AB

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Default more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas7 View Post
What will linking the 496 to your 430W allow you to do? Good luck with your install.
Dave
It will supposedly allow me to enter my flight plan into the 430 and it will be automatically transferred to the 496. I wont have to enter it individually into each unit. Having the 496 following along allows me to use its much more detailed maps while in flight, also taxiway diagrams, weather, ect..

Having the two units working together may defeat the thought of needing/wanting to buy the GTN650.

It is only one or two wires to connect from the 430 harness to the 496.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 AM

When I start shopping for my panel, I'll be looking for some cheap 430s or 530s that have been replaced by the "latest and greatest". Just because the touch-screen/remote transponder control/etc bling box comes out, doesn't make the 430 any less capable than it was.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
When I start shopping for my panel, I'll be looking for some cheap 430s or 530s that have been replaced by the "latest and greatest". Just because the touch-screen/remote transponder control/etc bling box comes out, doesn't make the 430 any less capable than it was.

Be careful. Garmin DOES NOT SUPPORT THE 28 VOLT 430 UNITS. A friend has a 28V 430 with a bad nav board. It will make a great boat anchor. Garmin will not repair it.
Paid up 1-1-14
N4IDH

Construction Log
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”

Mark Twain