What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim actuator does not work

Dave12

Well Known Member
I just powered up the panel and checked the trim function. I do get a hum at the actuator in one direction but nothing when the switch is reversed. I do recall testing the actuator as per the plans when the actuator was installed and wired and all went well. As of now I have triple checked the wire/pin location in the d-sub connector and all is well. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

I just powered up the panel and checked the trim function. I do get a hum at the actuator in one direction but nothing when the switch is reversed. I do recall testing the actuator as per the plans when the actuator was installed and wired and all went well. As of now I have triple checked the wire/pin location in the d-sub connector and all is well. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Most have had the same problem. The switch panel potentiometer has to be adjusted to achieve the desired stroke rate. Most remove the panel screws to allow one to tilt the panel to get "reasonable" access to the potentiometer. Ensure you use an insulated screwdriver and an inspection mirror so you do not short a board component or board trace to ground when you stick the screwdriver in the hole. The pot moves freely, do NOT force it past its internal stop.

If you search the forum you will find all of our tribulations, comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
Do you have a fully charged battery?(put a charger on it while testing and adjusting) If you do and it still acts the same then the next question have you adjusted the potentiometer in the control board . You have to adjust that for the proper speed and mine came with the voltage set so low that it would do just what your describing. When I adjusted it up where it belongs it worked fine and then I set the trim speed as per plans.

If your control board is installed you will have to remove it and flip it upside down with wire attached to get at the potentiometer easy. Its a pian to get at if you dont.

Brad Stiefvater

Brad,

If your control board is installed you will have to remove it and flip it upside down

....thanks for the memories...lol

Pete

Thanks all, it appears I got a little ahead of myself. I did read the page on adj. the pots and "skipped" by it. I hope I can get the insulated screwdriver at RadioShack.

Insulated screwdriver is not required

An insulated screwdriver is not required if you shut the master switch off while turning the pot. I elongated the little hole in the cover upward so that it is no longer necessary to remove the panel to adjust the pot.
Joe
DSCN4325a.JPG

Back