What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Highest to lowest airports (Lower 48 USA)

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
I have been considering another trip to Death Valley/Las Vegas for a few months. A major purpose was to get to Badwater to see the lowest spot in the continental USA. Weather and other factors delayed it until a point where Rick decided he could go too. So this past week offered an apparent window to get there and back under reasonably favorable conditions.

Other trip objectives were to fly to Leadville CO to do a touch and go at the highest US airport then work our way to Death Valley to make a T&G at the lowest. I also wanted to fly around Mineral Canyon a bit to show Rick what that was like and possibly overfly the Grand Canyon.

We depart from two different airports within a minute and meet up at Leadville. I made a straight in to the north while Rick entered left downwind. Here I am on final to Leadville:

Leadville1Small.jpg

We head northwest to stay out of the Aspen flight path. Here is a picture of the snow covered mountains just northwest of Leadville:

MtnsSmall.jpg

Near Grand Junction CO (KGJT) Rick determined that our fuel reserve at the planned fuel stop (Page AZ, KPGA) would only be six gallons. Our ground speeds were 20 knots less than we planned on so it was an easy decision to land at KGJT and refuel. We did that and made our reservations for that night at Las Vegas. Surprisingly, what we saw the day before for a room rate ($50) was now $5000 or $10,000. Neither of us wanted to pay that much so we switched hotels with another fuel stop planned for Kanab, UT (KKNB). The high winds were such that we had to do it.

Our previous trip to Vegas (maybe with L06) thrown in) also had us stopping early to refuel at Blanding Utah due to weather and an abundance of caution. It is easy to make an early and/or extra fuel stop when you know that some places are not forgiving of off field landing due to running out of gas.

We made it to Mineral Canyon and after a short flight there we were off to Kanab. From there we passed a bit north of the Grand Canyon and at some point get flight following from LA Center. Our plan was to fly over Las Vegas Class B then proceed to Death Valley (L06). As conscientious as we both are, we wanted to ensure that ATC was aware of us so we could all play nice together.

Somewhere east of Las Vegas, we were handed off to Nellis. I believe that we were vectored through their airspace. We were advised about three times of military traffic but I never saw them. Descent and T&G at Death Valley were normal as seen here on final to Death Valley (Furnace Creek):

DeathValley1Small.jpg

We rejoin well south of L06 and head into Henderson (KHND). Got a rental car from Hertz and off to our luxury hotel.

The path there is shown from Rick's APRS track in two parts:

LeadvilleDeathValleyPart1Small.jpg

LeadvilleDeathValleyPart2Small.jpg

I don't know why we did not go straight from Mineral Canyon to Kanab. Maybe Rick remembers. He was lead for all but the Mineral Canyon area so I just followed.

The next day I drove out to Death Valley, saw lots of neat scenery, walked in the water at Badwater a bit and got back before dark. Here is a 20 mule team system at an 1880s era borax site:

20MuleTeamSmall.jpg

The next picture was taken at a viewpoint heading towards Furnace Creek.

ManlyPeakSmall.jpg

Below is a picture taken at Badwater, the lowest point in the western Hemisphere (282 feet below sea level). The whitish material on the ground is salt.

BadwaterSmall.jpg

After leaving Badwater I drove south and at one point saw something lying by the side of the road. It was a coyote. After I slowly passed him/her, I decided to turn around and try to get a better picture. I stopped on the northbound side of the road, rolled down the window and he just looked at me. He did not appear concerned.

Coyote1Small.jpg

The return trip was uneventful except that we had 200 knot or better groundspeed. For a moment I saw 225 knots. That is my personal record and is due in part to a nice tailwind.

I just realized that we need to come up with a special certificate for this type flight. Rick and I will get #1 and #2.

Overall the trip went well. Rick did a fine job as lead and talking to various ATC elements. He was on top of navigation, fuel consumption (we were almost identical on fuel remaining and consumption) etc. I got to relax and enjoy the flight. Made suggestions on occasion. Mainly worried about when turbulence would beat us up but that never happened except for a short period of light turbulence at the start.

Every airport was fine. No issues with ATC...perhaps because I was not talking to them.

I just remembered one mistake. The General Store at Furnace Creek (Death Valley) had cherry Slurpees. I have not had one of those in years and somehow I got distracted and forgot to get one.

I also forgot to try any gambling stuff until I was leaving the hotel. I found one machine that was poker related....put a dollar in and won one credit on the first hand. Tried again and won two more so decided to cash out. Made a whole 25 cents.

Last edited:
Except that........

Touch & Gos don't count. Must be full stop landings and take-offs!

Nope, those are just guidelines. For our certificate we can establish the rules!

Last edited:
Guidelines?

Nope, those are just guidelines. For our certificate we can establish the rules!

I'm surprised to hear you say this Ron. :confused: You said that landings in Hawaii in another 9A wouldn't count. If these are just guidelines and we can establish the rules, than my 2 landings on December, 7 2010 COUNT. Bringing me to grand total of 45 states! ;)

img4546f.jpg

Scott, my assessment for states I have visited/landed at in MY RV are based upon piloting my plane. Your goals can be whatever you wish. I can confidently say that I will never get to 50 US states in my RV, maybe not even 49.

The real highest airport (now closed)

The highest airport that I took my RV4 into was Coyote Flats. Coyote flats air strip was at 9,992' and about 12 miles SW of Bishop California. The runway was 3000' long and paved. I believe the strip was used by the Army for high altitude helicopter training. I landed there with a 160 HP RV 4 with a CS prop, two 200# guys and half fuel plus. OAT was about 60f, and no wind. I saw a mark at half distance and we lifted off just before it. About 10 years ago the blacktop was removed, and someone strategically placed rocks all over where the strip was.

Back