What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Aerobatic Video

Fun video. He's actually flying it like it's a REAL aerobatic airplane...which it is, of course. :) Somewhere in South America. Wonder why we don't see more RV flying like this in the states? If the snaps were tightened up a bit, he'd do a decent job in IAC Intermediate. I can't imagine relatively low speed snaps (using proper technique) would harm an RV.

Magnificent

bit of flying... wow! I for one don't like seeing aerobatics that close to the ground, but that guy was really good.

I for one don't like seeing aerobatics that close to the ground.

Don't ever go to an airshow then...they go MUCH lower. :D Everyone has different limits, and he was certainly flying well within his capabilities. The only maneuver he did relatively low was an aileron roll, and even those had plenty of altitude for someone with basic aerobatic skills who can roll an airplane straight and level.

The danger with low-level acro comes into play when the airplane's vector is headed toward the ground. Most dangerous is low speed, low altitutude, vectored toward the ground...which is why low-level snap rolls on a downline are so dangerous. Nancy Lynn and Jim Leroy were victims of this. High speed, low altitude, vectored upward is relatively safe. His (in the video) was maintained parallel to the ground at his lowest altitudes.

I do snaps

all the time in the 7a..I usually do them at 90kts..Nothing bent so far..:)

Frank

Back