What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking up an RV-6 for tire change

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
There have been several threads on jacking up your RV for tire replacement and servicing.

I have been using a very inexpensive method that works well and have been safe for almost 13-years.

I have a stainless steel hose clamp on the landing gear.
P1010508.JPG

It is very easy to bring an inexpensive floor jack in under the clamp.
P1010512.JPG

I start raising the jack and verify contact with the stainless steel hose clamp.
P1010514.JPG

Here is a view from the front of the aircraft with the jack just touching the stainless steel hose clamp.
P1010517.JPG

This is what it looks like on the inside with the tire just off the ground.
P1010520.JPG

Aircraft just off the ground as viewed from the outside.
P1010522.JPG

This is what the RV-6 looks like with the tire just off the ground from the front of the aircraft.
P1010524.JPG

This method has worked well for over 13-years. The tires are Wilkerson retreads. This is the 3rds set of retreads that I have used. The retreads last 50% longer (50% more landings) than new Goodyears that I have used. IMHO, the new Goodyear tires cost less per landing than any other new tire but the retreads are less per landing than anything else that I have tried.

Others have reported that this method did not work for them. Here are photos of how I have done it safely for over 13-years.

Back