What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Import an RV from Canada?

rgandt

I'm New Here
Does anyone have experience importing a Canadian-built RV and obtaining a U.S. Airworthiness Certificate? Even though the Canadian Airworthiness Cert. requirements are the same as U.S., it would seem that for an imported Canadian airplane you must go through the entire proof-of-building and flight test schedule as if the airplane were newly constructed. And even though the airplane may have changed owners several times, the original builder must sign the application.

Is there any kind of U.S./Canada bi-lateral agreement that eases this process?

With thanks,
Bob

rv importation

Hey Bob,
no expert here, just an idea you might find some info on AOPA site....or call an aircraft broker. (Be aware they may not have experience with amateurbilts.)
The canadian regs are a bit different, but again I'm only saying look into this.
You'll find the aircraft have a gascolator for example.
Have you already been looking? Seems there are at least 10 times as many for sale in the U.S.....and to be frank, a lot appear to have been built by an A&P, and no expense spared.
With the dollars at par, you're not getting any advantage buying Canadian. ....some predictions say the canadian dollar will fall back to 90 cents, as it often does, before rebounding, so you might want to keep an eye on that.

....I'll let others who may have done this jump in.
thx

Another Import from Canada

I'm Also looking for info on this- We have a possable deal where we trade a 182 of a RV6-
Looks like the involved part is FAA would like to see the RV built to the 51% rule for the Special Airworthiness Cert. A snag may be that the owner does not have the builder logs...
Any one ever gone through this before?
Info on whet is needed would be helpfull!
Thanks

I've imported several aircraft from Canada.
You MUST be able to show that the aircraft was built within the 51% amateur-built rules to certificate it as such in the U.S.

Need build logs?

Thanks Mel!
This was built by the late Victor Nuegorf back in 1992. Slow build and owner knows he did all of the building, However: Current owner does not have build logs in his possession.
I'm assuming that is where the 51% build evidence is derived during the import inspection here?
Thanks mucho!

Back