What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin, Dynon, AFS, Grand Rapids. Etc

rv8or

Well Known Member
I know employees of these manufacturers monitor this excellent web site so!!

A short programming exercise to improve your product EFIS fuel displays.

This is for tail draggers

Have two calibration curves for the fuel quantity, one for tail down and one for in flight attitude.
TD quantity curve would be used below your usual flight time logging parameter i.e. about 30 knots and then flight attitude quantity curve above.

This would then give an accurate fuel quantity in the tanks on the ground and also in the air.

This is a fairly simple mod but would be extremely useful.

I hope to see this in some of your product specs soon.

Rob

Why............. ?

You programme (proper English) the gauges in the level attitude - i.e. when you are flying and want to know what you have left to feed the engine.

The amount you have on the ground is usually done by dipstick - I hope :eek:

Personally, I would rather have an easier method of showing the top 9 gallons in a tank, as well as the bottom 12 !!!!

Vans already sells that option...

Why............. ?

You programme (proper English) the gauges in the level attitude - i.e. when you are flying and want to know what you have left to feed the engine.

The amount you have on the ground is usually done by dipstick - I hope :eek:

Personally, I would rather have an easier method of showing the top 9 gallons in a tank, as well as the bottom 12 !!!!

It is called a capacitive sending unit.

Kent

Have two calibration curves for the fuel quantity, one for tail down and one for in flight attitude.
TD quantity curve would be used below your usual flight time logging parameter i.e. about 30 knots and then flight attitude quantity curve above.

This would then give an accurate fuel quantity in the tanks on the ground and also in the air.

Rob

Advanced Flight Systems has done this for years.

It is called a capacitive sending unit.

Kent

Capacitive sending units have nothing to do with this. They will still need separate calibration curves depending on attitude.

Thanks for the replies, I missed that feature when I read the AFS manual, it was some time ago!

Ee by gum Lad, english advice from yorkshire and for nowt

Colonial living in blighty.

Rob

not practical...

But !

Can you retro fit a capacitive sender to a QB fuel tank ?

You would need to remove the back of the tank! :eek:

Guy, I should have edited Mikes comment so that only his last question would have appeared in my reply. I was only talking about fuel measurement accuracy, not the two calibration points.

Kent

It is always a good idea to take a butchers at the fuel with a dipstick.

For those north of Watford,

A "Programme" is what is shown on telly.

A "Program" is code written in a computer language.

Excuse the rhyming slang.

;)

I have an RV7 and capacitive senders. I can raise and lower the tail and it has little to no effect on the reported value... Of course this varies a little depending on how much is in there but the overall difference is pretty low...

I use my eyeballs in the tank on the ground. Secondary I use the fuel computer more than the gauges to tell me how much I have left in flight. I use the gauges as a backup check on the computer. The computer is within .2 gallons at every fillup.

Last edited:

FYI, the Garmin G3X will support this in a future software update, which will be available for free download later this spring.

thanks,
mcb

Back