What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 EG33 Twin Turbo Photos

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Here are a few photos of my -10 and the turbo installation plus some shots of the ventral radiator scoop.

img7910w.jpg

img7912v.jpg

img7914p.jpg

img7915a.jpg

img7920r.jpg

img7926i.jpg

AT LAST!!!!!

Been waiting for these:D

Sure does look good, you do amazing work.

Now a flight report, please;)

Thanks Mike, I got off my lazy butt and finally took these photos today as various people have been bugging me for months...

Business is taking most of my time but I decided to close shop at noon on Fridays as of Jan. 1 to be able to get a few hours in on the -10 every week. I gotta get this thing flying this year. Still slogging through wiring at the moment. Once that is done, the panel goes in (already built long ago with all the stuff to go in the holes) and then I can stick the tail and wings on which have been done for a couple years now too.

Sounds easy but there are a couple hundred hours to go to have it flyable. Two business moves have added almost 2 years to the project unfortunately but that is how life goes sometimes. I think I had burnout on the project too after pounding on it for the first 3 years and needed a break. I got a GSXR, took up fashion photography in my "spare time", bought a Genesis Coupe and now I'm studying Japanese for a trip to Japan in April. Can you say mid life crisis? Trying to get focused back on the -10 with all these pesky distractions. At least getting to work now at the airport is fun so there are no excuses there.

Last edited:
So what is the cylindrical device below/in front of the turbos?? Has a red cap on it.

Oil cooler for the turbos, before returning hot oil to the crankcase??

So what is the cylindrical device below/in front of the turbos?? Has a red cap on it.

Oil cooler for the turbos, before returning hot oil to the crankcase??

Heat exchanger for cabin heat. Can also divert hot air out the lower cowling exit for extra summer cooling in the climb.

Beautiful work, Ross

IIRC, you fabbed all of the intake manifold and injector housings?

Great attention to detail!

Regards,

IIRC, you fabbed all of the intake manifold and injector housings?

Great attention to detail!

Regards,

I fabbed the intake manifold, turbo plumbing, intercooler tanks, engine mount and sub mount frame, header tank, twin alternator mounts, air filter mounts, crankcase vent tank and the many braces and brackets etc. The intake runners have velocity stacks built in to maximize airflow and are tuned for the cruise rpm range. The injector housings are something I designed that we sell for people to convert from carbs to EFI. We have many different designs and sizes to fit different injectors for Lycoming, Jabiru, Rotax, Subaru etc. Our CNC shop turns out hundreds of these a year.

It all fits under a stock cowling but was not easy, taking many hours of juggling component locations. I did have to move the oil filler door to the right rear for the EG33.

There are also over 100 hours into the radiator scoop alone with a cockpit controllable exit door, smooth contours, rad mounts and guide vanes glassed into it and many hours of reshaping and sanding.

I expect the engine to make an easy 275hp at 36-38 inches and 5400 rpm for takeoff and project speeds of 190 knots at any altitude, depending on how much fuel burn I want to suffer. The turbos can maintain full power to 18,000 feet+ so the climb rate should be fairly impressive.

I think the worst is over with now.

Last edited:
Nice work. I was curious about the scoop being up front. Is that for CG?

The radiator and scoop were placed here for a variety of reasons- close to the C of G, water piping concerns, structure to attach to, ground cooling, frontal area of the scoop and CFD studies with regard to exit flow. This placement was the best overall compromise.

I use a horizontal splitter plate mounted just below the stock cowling air exit. This keeps hot air from the cowling from entering the rad scoop. The stock cowling exit shields about 35% of the rad scoop frontal area.

Many different rad mounting concepts were evaluated including completely submerged ducts with twin rads mounted aft of the baggage bulkhead however piping water lines through the structure and cutting holes for NACA ducts would create some serious structural concerns. Ground cooling would almost certainly be marginal as well.

With the turbos and intercoolers, there was no way to mount the rads up front in the cowling properly. I'm not a fan of mounting rads with the fins perpendicular to the freestream. All my testing with flow bench models show this is a high drag solution.

Very impressive work, Ross.

I notice the PSRU is Marcotte. No personal experience with it but I hear it is solid and proven.

Very impressive work, Ross.

I notice the PSRU is Marcotte. No personal experience with it but I hear it is solid and proven.

Same basic box as I'm been flying in the 6A since 2003 (M300). Never touched it or had any trouble. They use a different drive plate/ damper design on this one and I'm adding a 6 lb. steel ring to the aluminum flywheel to increase inertia to try to reduce TV.

The radiator and scoop were placed here for a variety of reasons- close to the C of G, water piping concerns, structure to attach to, ground cooling, frontal area of the scoop and CFD studies with regard to exit flow. This placement was the best overall compromise.

I use a horizontal splitter plate mounted just below the stock cowling air exit. This keeps hot air from the cowling from entering the rad scoop. The stock cowling exit shields about 35% of the rad scoop frontal area.

Many different rad mounting concepts were evaluated including completely submerged ducts with twin rads mounted aft of the baggage bulkhead however piping water lines through the structure and cutting holes for NACA ducts would create some serious structural concerns. Ground cooling would almost certainly be marginal as well.

With the turbos and intercoolers, there was no way to mount the rads up front in the cowling properly. I'm not a fan of mounting rads with the fins perpendicular to the freestream. All my testing with flow bench models show this is a high drag solution.

I proved that this statement is true. Drag was my biggest problem which I plan on correcting on #2 when I get the chance to build again.

Am I seeing the photo correctly in that the output of the two turbos eventually comes back together in a common intake manifold?

Does that mean that if one turbo quits the pressure from the other is simply exhausted out through the inoperative turbo? Or, is there a check valve in there somewhere?

Yes, both turbos dump into the same throttle body. You'd probably lose a bunch of boost but the engine is rated at 230hp naturally aspirated so it would probably make at least 180 hp even with with a seized turbo on one side. Fortunately I've never had a turbo failure in almost 35 years of playing with them. They are probably more reliable than the actual engine. When fed with clean, cool Mobil 1, air filters and operated within N1 and ITT limits, there is no reason that you should ever see an issue.

rv-10 twin turbo

Nice Work Ross! She's looks great,that must have been quite the task to cram
it all under the stock hood! Can't wait to see how she runs & you post the performance #
Kudos Bro!
BTW-try and keep the front end down on GSXR on the way to the airport;)

Back