What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fun Things to do on a Cold Saturday in January

KevinL

So we were able to launch our normal Saturday breakfast flight from LXT to K81. After that a buddy of ours with a L-39 Albatross wanted to do some formation flying with us. BeeGee rounded up someone with a big time Camera and here is what we captured on film:

Phil getting a preflight brief on the ejection seat:

k9tn6g.jpg
[/IMG]

Heading out for the join up with the L-39, my 10 yr old son Sean giving the "Thumbs Up":

2u7r8cg.jpg
[/IMG]

The L-39 forming up with us. The photographer asked him to "step up" for the photo:

dc3q1i.jpg
[/IMG]

1z6h8xi.jpg
[/IMG]

ixzk0p.jpg

wk4r3r.jpg

2wpjal2.jpg

2uhsbyx.jpg

We did not get any shots of BeeGee's plane since he was carrying the photographer. It was a lot of fun, especially since we had to run 180-190 knots to keep the jet flying.

We did shoot a set of pictures where the Jet did not have the speed brakes deployed, but I guess they did not turn out as well.

View from the

L39

DSCN1956.jpg

DSCN1958.jpg

DSCN1953.jpg

DSCN1957.jpg

Nothing fancy here...just wanted to see if RV's could join-up with an L39 throttled back to about 190 knots. The RV's had little reserve power, but enough that made this a fun flight.

BeeGee
RV-7 N151WP
Lee's Summit, MO

Really really...

...COOL!!! Great photos, great planes and great pilots!

Thanks alot for sharing!

Man I'd like to have been on that ride! Very cool!

Can civilian owned jets have working ejection seats? Kind of curious thinking of that privately owned Harrier jet, SU-27, as well as others.

They gotta be spendy to keep certified but then it's all relative.

Nice photos! (Just to clarify, Mike's seats are not "hot," so they're not actually "ejection seats.") ;)

True, but the brief is equally cool. Nose down trim, roll inverted and fall out. Or something to that effect. You still have to know which handles to pull to fall clear!

Can civilian owned jets have working ejection seats? Kind of curious thinking of that privately owned Harrier jet, SU-27, as well as others.

The short answer is yes, they can. However... they must be maintained to pretty close to the same standards that the military used, in terms of inspections and life-limited parts. There are also pretty strenuous owner training requirements. But, as I said, the L-39 mentioned above has cold seats, like about 95% of them flying in the USA.

All it takes is money... :)

Man I'd like to have been on that ride! Very cool!

yes
Best
Brian

Inspiration

Kevin,
Thanks so much for sharing. I'm a recent father and dream of the day when I can take my boy up. I'm putting the second photo up as my screen wallpaper.

Back