What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you buck these RIVETS ??

HIIFLY

Well Known Member
:( I have installed the "top frt fusalage sheet" with the luggage cut out and have come to the last 16 rivits to buck (8) on rt. (8) on lt.. These are the ones at the Top of the Landing gear Towers . With the Break lines and the fuel vent lines installed ,they are near impossiable to buck ! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated .

Also has anyone used Cherry Max for this ?

I am stumped so I will move on to something easier like the CANOPY ! LOL .

Thanks J.R.

The best way to solve this problem is to use the countersunk cherry max rivets. I can't remember the part number. I looked at many RV8s before I decided to use them. Lots of builders do.

Thanks

You guys are Great !!! :) This will be easier than installing the Canopy !
For Sure. :D

We have what you need!

:( I have installed the "top frt fusalage sheet" with the luggage cut out and have come to the last 16 rivits to buck (8) on rt. (8) on lt.. These are the ones at the Top of the Landing gear Towers . With the Break lines and the fuel vent lines installed ,they are near impossiable to buck ! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated .

Also has anyone used Cherry Max for this ?

I am stumped so I will move on to something easier like the CANOPY ! LOL .

Thanks J.R.

We have the CR3214-4-04 in packages of 10's
In stock http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp?alternate=CR3214-4-04+PKG/10

We also have the CR3214-4-03 in packages of 10
In Stock http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp?alternate=CR3214-4-03+PKG/10

We actually have alot of cherrymax in small packs.
Look around and buy what you need, or just what you like!

Last edited:
Too Costly

First I did order my rivits from General Aircraft Hardware but I don't think you would want to put the whole plane togethet with them !
I ordered 30 rivits at the cost is $47.93 plus shipping ! Ouch !
But I am very glad to have them for this application . :D

Like an old IA Friend used to say " MONEY IS NO OBJECT IN AVIATION " LOL

First I did order my rivits from General Aircraft Hardware but I don't think you would want to put the whole plane togethet with them !
I ordered 30 rivits at the cost is $47.93 plus shipping ! Ouch !
But I am very glad to have them for this application . :D

Like an old IA Friend used to say " MONEY IS NO OBJECT IN AVIATION " LOL

Thanks for the business.:)
Yes the CherryMax are more costly when we re-package them in handy small packages to suit individuals smaller quantity needs.

If someone is in a group of builders at similar stages, buy bags of 100 and they do become less costly per piece.

After you have them and then re-distribute to the rest of the group you will have saved a fair amount.

Most builders are not in this situation.
An old friend of mine told me along time ago "You can eliminate the middleman, but you can't eliminate most of the things that they do!

VansAirforce was the driving force to GAHco creating small packs of ALL the CherryMax that we stock. The program has been a huge success.
Yes, they do cost more per piece, but with may of the more expensive CherryMax it would be totally unreasonable to purchase a package of 100. even if the rivets are much less per peice than the 10 or 25 small packs.

Once again, We truly appreciate the business, and wanted you all to know, The internal economics we experience from this end.:cool:

Last edited:
Worth the cost

;) I'm just glad you had them and I could get them at this price but even at 1/2 price I don't think anyone would want to put a Van's Kit together with all Cherry Max. LOL

I totally agree!

;) I'm just glad you had them and I could get them at this price but even at 1/2 price I don't think anyone would want to put a Van's Kit together with all Cherry Max. LOL

I totally agree!

Only the Government could afford to build an entire plane with Cherry-Max,

Oh wait, never mind,
they will have to get Small Packs so they can patch things up first:p

My question related to blind rivets in general...not just Cherry Max. As an alternative to the rivet gun and bucking bar theatrics. I searched the forum but did not find it discussed.
Jeff

Do a search!

My question related to blind rivets in general...not just Cherry Max. As an alternative to the rivet gun and bucking bar theatrics. I searched the forum but did not find it discussed.
Jeff

Try the forums Search feature, input these words, and select show threads.

rivets gear towers

and then press"Go".

Have fun there is plenty to look at!

SERCICE

:D GREAT Service from General Aircraft Suppyy , 3 Days form order to receive !!!! Thanks Again. J.R.

Back