What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Spar sensors too low?

ErichKeane

Well Known Member
I've been going over the wiring in the plane, and noticed that the wing-spar sensors are too low! The clamps that hold them into place made them sit too low to register properly. The wiring works correctly, and I can get them to go green when I hold them in place against the top, but when clamped in they are quite a bit too low.

I took off as much steel from the pin as I dare (just about the 1/8th"), but it didn't fix it.

I also removed the rubber from the back of the clamp to raise it that little bit, but that still didn't help.

Anyone have any other ideas/fixes?

I installed the sensors according the plans and there position is o.k. under the armrest. I also shortened the pins by 1/8".

MyKitlog sensors
MyKitlog sensors 2

FP21092010A0000P.jpg

Are the magnets close to the surface, flush with the ends of the steel tubes? The steel surrounding the magnets acts like a shield against the magnetic force field while the surrounding aluminum does not. I have seen several -12 builders struggle with the wing pin sensors only to find their magnets are way too deep in the steel tubes canceling out / weakening the magnetic force field to the point where it is ineffective to the reed switches.

Last edited:
I remember this as taking a bit of time. I just experimented with various positions for the switches, and when I found the position and orientation that worked, I formed the clamps to hold the switches in those "hot spots."

Same here

I did the same as John. You can move the reed switch up and down in the clamp, bend the clamp, and rotate the clamp. Using a combination of these variables, I was able to get mine to work (after also removing 1/8" from the end of the steel outer sheath). I also enlarged the holes over the reed swithces slightly- seemed to help out.

Jeff

Another consideration

I adjusted my pickup switches per the plans and they worked during initial testing. Then when flying with a passenger I would get a spar pin warning and the red light would come on :eek:. Of course the passenger would pick that up right away..."Er - whats that big red light and warning sound mean??"

Doing a little trouble shooting, I found that the armrest has just enough flex that a person leaning on it can change the spar pin pickup position enough to flash the warning. I then took off another 1/16" of the steel sleeve to solve the problem.

Back