What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drag video

Cool!!

We all "know" about drag, but it is pretty amazing to actually see it in action.

Thanks, Merry Christmas.

Video

Thanks Greg for the link. I knew that the fairings made a difference but didn't know it was that much (the same round cross section 9.3 times as high as the aerodynamic fairing)

Good info!!

It says a lot about streamlined antennas versus simple wire rods, doesn't it? It might seem funny that a much larger blade transponder antenna is better than the tiny little ball-bearing on a rod, but it's true! Which reminds me, I need to order some antennas for the -3...where's that link to Delta Pop again? :)

As if I did not know that I needed to get my gear leg fairings on!! Wow! What an eye opening demonstration!
Thanks, Greg!

Round is bad....

So would it effect my bent-belly comm antenna performance if I built a fiberglass fairing around it with micro-bead?
Clean and scuff than with some thick fiberglass mold a small fairing around the rod.

Kent

Kent,

Makes sense to me you would lose some drag. I built a homemade pitot/AOA probe out of 1/4" Al tubing and made a similar epoxy fairing around it. Gained two knots (in case Bob Axsom is reading....:D). I'm considering whether to replace my transponder antenna....

cheers,
greg

I saw on someone's plane (Mr Mills?) what looked like a fairing on a belly mount antenna. Perhaps Mr Mills (to remain a good boy to get his special tie downs) would add his insight.

So I could fair in my pitot tube, transponder and comm antennas and gain two knots for each!

Drag

Pitts biplanes use a slave strut to move the upper wing aileron from the lower which is directly moved by the stick. Round ones were very draggy per the video, so streamlined struts were substituted and gained some knots. But - the strut if twisted a bit would develop lift and move left or right. Sometimes it would twist the other direction and oscillate rapidly, raising structural concerns. Someone figured out a small thread or string or thread taped vertically on one side of the strut would "spoil" the lift on that side and stop oscillation for a small drag penalty. That was a long and somewhat flexible strut. Doubt a short antenna would be affected that way. Anybody find a speed increase from a streamlined fairings on round antennae that's well documented?

Great demo! Without gear fairings your engine will not cool properly either because of the lower volume of air going through the cowling per given time.

More videos more videos!

That was great. I really enjoy that kind of demonstration. I find drag and airflow even more difficult to understand than the wiring. I am apparently pretty slow. :D

The fact a big fat airfoil can have less drag than a tiny wire is just amazing. Anyone have other links to simple to understand demos of this type of thing...please post. Love learning more. That film is how old? I would think there must be some other cool demos out there in cyberspace that would be educational on this.

One guy I know chopped the nice fiberglass aerodynamic tips off his rocket and gained a substantial amount of speed. Nice slick looking tips looked fast and efficient. The cut off tips and block hershey bar shape looked lumpy and slow... just the opposite was true speed wise. Wierd, but great to learn about.

I expected to see the Dharma guy at the beginning of that video....

I started life with my airplane with two blade style com antennas like these because I picked em up off Ebay for next to nothing:

nck404.jpg

They were so different looking that I could not stand em so I switched them out to Don's antennas. I really don't notice any difference in the speed but then again I have not really tested for any.

Last edited:

One guy I know chopped the nice fiberglass aerodynamic tips off his rocket and gained a substantial amount of speed. Nice slick looking tips looked fast and efficient. The cut off tips and block hershey bar shape looked lumpy and slow... just the opposite was true speed wise. Wierd, but great to learn about.

I have a set of flat tips reducing the wingspan to 21 feet. It is faster than the stock tips also. I have a set of streamlined 3" tips that are faster than the flat tips.

Bob Axsom

They were so different looking that I could not stand em so I switched them out to Don's antennas. I really don't notice any difference in the speed but then again I have not really tested for any.

I usually remove my NAV antenna elements for racing but the difference in speed is so small I can't measure it. I still take them off for races.

Bob Axsom

If anybody has looked over Alan Judy's RV6 (rv969wf on forums), he has many small fiberglass fairings located around things like antennas, fuel drains, etc. (If I remember correctly). He won best fiberglass at Osh a few years back.

Shapiro...

That video is one of the experiments Shapiro presents in this book:

Shape and Flow: The Fluid Dynamics of Drag
http://www.amazon.com/Shape-Flow-Fluid-Dynamics-Science/dp/B0007J6AA8

That's a name I had almost forgotten. He was the author of at least one of the books we used in graduate school in the Fluid Mechanics curriculum. I can only guess that is the man himself in Greg's video. There are some other videos of interest to the aero world shown there on the youtube page as well.

Thanks for the link to Shapiro on the Amazon site. Looking over their offerings of Shapiro's books, I am impressed with the number of technical books he authored.

P.S. Looks like he passed away in 2004 after being honored for many years of "professing" the wonders of fluid flow.

Last edited:
I saw on someone's plane (Mr Mills?) what looked like a fairing on a belly mount antenna. Perhaps Mr Mills (to remain a good boy to get his special tie downs) would add his insight.

So I could fair in my pitot tube, transponder and comm antennas and gain two knots for each!

Ron,

Larry Vetterman told me at Mitchell, SD (start of AVC) that if I swapped my two TED ball and stick antennas (for the XPNDR and the Monroy) that I'd gain 1 knot per antenna. I put a CI-105 in place of the XPNDR TED, and moved the Monroy to the glareshield (Pete Howell's idea). At the same time I pulled my belly whip for the APRS and put a jpole in the tip, leaving just one belly whip (comm 1).

I did not have time or weather to do a before and after of each mod, but in the next race (following the mods) I ran my first 250+ average time (previous best was 243). That does not mean I gained 7+ knots from the mods, because wind was on our side that day, and everyone ran fast that day. So I don't have science backing me up this time, but I feel did gain some from the mods. Many mods are incremental (almost immeasurable, but when added up...), and I think these are among them.

On the bent whip fairing, that was Mike Thompson's plane you saw. Here are blown up crops of two pics I have of his plane. Not good, but something to stir the pot.

mtsant1.jpg

mtsant2.jpg

It makes sense that a fairing here might help (surely we can fair it at less than 9 times the thickness of the rod!) Hmmmm...new winter mod? :rolleyes:

That was great. I really enjoy that kind of demonstration. I find drag and airflow even more difficult to understand than the wiring. I am apparently pretty slow. :D

Nope, you're normal...this stuff is black magic...or just PFM...or both! :p

I think that guy was my Aerodynamics porfessor at SJSU! :p It's not, but he talked like my guy, who was a Skunkworks aerodynamicist during the development of the SR-71...really shmart feller...and the hardest college class I took! :eek:

I have a set of flat tips reducing the wingspan to 21 feet. It is faster than the stock tips also. I have a set of streamlined 3" tips that are faster than the flat tips.

Bob Axsom

I have flat tips too, and testing showed 2-3 knots gained over my stock tips. Some science to back up this one...multiple 4-way GPS runs at 4000' (low as I could get over the high desert, it may be more at Sea Level). The flat tips seem to get the gain from span reduction rather than aerodynamic shape magic. Sharp corners on them seem to work better as well, due to a lower Oswald Factor (gotta ask Paul Lips to explain that...but I followed his advice on it!).

flattipsflying.jpg

With already clipped wings, they are some stubby lil' things! Flies well though...4-5 knot stall increase, but very flyable.

I still hope to borrow Bob's streamlined tip mold and test that shape out too!

I usually remove my NAV antenna elements for racing but the difference in speed is so small I can't measure it. I still take them off for races.

Bob Axsom

So does Tom Martin...must be a good idea, given his speeds!! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
The need for speed

RV clean up mods for increased performance are noteworthy. However, give some Brazilian Engineering students a clean sheet of paper and you get this: 195 Knots on 80HP with a 300lb takeoff weight. Talk about Drag and weight reduction!

The "Lightening"
The aircraft's design was developed by Paul Iscold in 1999 as a work of completing the course in Aeronautical Engineering at UFMG. The first flight occurred in 2001. "Back then there were challenges, most of them financially," he said. In 2007 the flight became regular. A test pilot since 2005 which is part of the test Gunar Armin, former commander of Varig.
Made of composite materials such as fiberglass and rigid foam, also called PVC foam, the plane now has an 80 horsepower Jabiru, Catto prop, slightly more than the power of a car from a thousand cubic centimeters, and reaches 360 kph/195 Knots top speed. The same as a Formula 1 car. The weight of the pilotless aircraft, BRS and fuel is 206 pounds! "In this category there is a limitation of up to 300 pounds, which has a limitation of power, because it is difficult to achieve the required power with light weight in the current market," said Iscold.

The aircraft shattered the Russian record time to climb to three thousand feet from 13 minutes and 40 seconds to 8 minutes and 15 seconds. Also two US records: straight-line speed of 15NM - reaching 178 Knots versus 160 Knots and speed on a closed course of hundred miles, reached 175 Knots prior US record of 165 Knots. Today was the fastest time yet, beating the Austrians in the three mile straight-line speed 195 Knots versus 180 Knots.
SOURCE: Associated Press Online

Cool eh?
Thanks to Craig Catto for this.
Merry Christmas!
Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Meters...not feet?

The aircraft shattered the Russian record time to climb to three thousand feet...

Smokey, shouldn't that be "three thousand meters"...?

I know you just cut it from an Associated Press blurb, but meters sounds more realistic for a time to climb in this class.

Weights must be wrong too!

Smokey, shouldn't that be "three thousand meters"...?

I know you just cut it from an Associated Press blurb, but meters sounds more realistic for a time to climb in this class.

I think the weights are supposed to be in metric as well. Let's see, the article says 206lbs without pilot and 300lbs take off weight which is absurd! There's no way the airframe and engine can be that light! These weights make a whole lot more sense if they're in kg, and that's still pretty darn light at 660 lbs take off weight. At least, if the weights are kg it has the capacity for a 205 lb pilot instead of a 94 lb pilot!

Skylor

Last edited:
Drag Experiment

I remember visiting my big brother at college when he was a Mechanical Engineering student in the 70s and they had a wind tunnel experiment comparing the drag of a solid piece of metal, about 4-5" square to the exact same size piece of window screen. Both pieces perpendicular to the wind flow. The screen had significantly more drag than the solid piece of metal. That was an aha moment.

One of the neatest planes I have found that went all out on drag reduction was Willi Lischak?s ?Tiny Racer?. I?ve only seen one write up on it in the Contact magazine (issue 76), and I think he shattered all kinds of records with it. He was from Austria, the best I recall. I?m thinking he went over 250 mph with it, not sure anymore, but I believe he was able to do this on 65 hp, and was thinking he could get over 90 mpg too. My memory is very fuzzy with it all, and I let somebody have my old Contact issue. I did save the pic of his racer. It?s a beauty! Google searches haven?t been helpful, but if anybody else has any info on his tiny racer, I hope they will share.

v8iz3m.jpg

So....what is the perfect, absolute lowest drag airfoil fairing shape?

A falling drop of water is supposed to be almost ideal. It is also interesting to note the shape that snow piled up on cars makes, once the car is driven at highway speeds. I believe one can learn from that.

Surely the ideal shape also has something to do with airspeed and boundary layer conditions. And it will be linked to both parasitic and induced drag. There are several other videos in that series, one of which does the classic experiment on two balls, one having a perfectly smooth surface and the other a roughened surface. If you haven't found it already, here's actually the first of the series that shows some of these classic experiments and some explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp3OHzNt7Iw&feature=related

and here's the link to some similar films of boundary layer conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SkWxEUXIoM&feature=related

I found these a bit more difficult to follow in terms of the math (my calculus is pretty rusty) but the graphics of the boundary layers are obvious.

cheers,
greg

...and my poor old Cherokee has THREE cylindrical-shaped antennas sticking up on the top of the fuselage. I know I can get rid of one of them (the old loran has been removed). Of course that's probably nowhere the drag caused by those two huge open barn doors in the front of the nose bowl cowl :eek:

Not really. Rain drops oscillate between cigar and gum drop shape, hardly optimised for low drag. That's why at night when illuminated from the side you see the falling drops as intermittent lines -- only when they have the right shape the light is refracted to your eye.

Back