What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X

DWebster

Does anyone have pictures of where one would install the magnetometer and the AHRS in the RV-8 for the G3X? I looked thru the threads but I found only one picture of an AHRS. Installation manual references the RV-7/9 but not the RV-8.

No pictures yet, but working on it today and this week.

There is room behind the panel, and also room under the right side "console" depending on how you routed the fuel lines from the right tank.

I'm cutting a plexiglass panel today, and that will probably tell me which way I go...

I will have to dig up a picture of how I mounted my GRT AHRS in my -8, but it is very easy to build a solid mount for an AHRS on the two cross-braces at the top of the gear towers (right behind the forward baggage wall). Considering that the G3X screens are so thin, there should be PLENTY of room in this area, just forward of the panel.

Paul

Ditto

I have also positioned the AHRS directly behind the panel oriented transversely on a small platform mounted on the two cross braces between the gear towers. The platform also accommodates the TCW IBBS. I am, however, reluctant to post pictures of my handiwork installed because I am in the process of revising it. I had the GSU 73 too close to the avionics stack to comfortably accommodate the rather stiff harnesses and large connectors. The new one is under construction and awaiting an order from ACS. Pictures will follow.

Progress to date

The aluminum delivery man came a day early and I spent the day finishing the magnetometer mount and building a new shorter shelf for the GSU73. Here are a few pix of how I am doing it in my 8.

The magnetometer shelf sits on the upper longerons just in front of the F-809 bulkhead. The mounting ring comes pre drilled for 6 5/32 flush rivets. Well attached considering the unit itself attaches to the ring with 3 brass 4-20 screws.

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

The AHRS shelf mounts between the two gear tower cross braces. I have built it rather robust to avoid vibration. The aluminum angle is .063 X1 X 1. This allows the shelf to span the 6" space between the cross braces and still support the 5" wide AHRS on the angles with proper edge distance for attachment. I had planned to mount a TCW backup battery on the larger shelf but will now relocate it to the anterior surface of the right gear tower.

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

Here is the panel center section powered up. The entire panel has been disassembled, painted, and awaits labeling before reinstallation and testing.
panel1.jpg

Looks good

Both the GSU73 and GMU44 mounts look great Chuck. Now just put them on the magic parts copier and send me a set for my RV-8 :)

The aluminum delivery man came a day early and I spent the day finishing the magnetometer mount and building a new shorter shelf for the GSU73. Here are a few pix of how I am doing it in my 8.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm curious, what is the hole size for the G3X magnetometer?

magnetometer hole size

The magnetometer requires a 2.5" hole for mounting. I pre-installed the platform and established a midline reference. As you may be able to see, the ring is aligned parallel to the center line but slightly offset. The offset is of no consequence of course; wingtip location is an alternate consideration.

Paul all credit for a smoke free environment so far goes to Brent Fischer at SteinAir. He did the Garmin harness and tested the work to that point. I have since integrated his work with mine, connecting A/P servos, audio, power, trim position and a few misc. leads. Once I have the actual panel itself finished and installed we will see whether or not I have been able to maintain electrical integrity. I really have no doubts, the work has been quite straight forward.

G3X in an 8

Here is the finished or almost finished product. After a few fits and starts I managed to get the panel painted and labeled. I initially tried water-slide decals but was not satisfied with my work. Font size and layout was not working so I re-did the labels using vinyl laminate made by a local sign company and am quite happy with the results.

The panel wings carry most of the switches, as well as instruments to allow monitoring the electrical system apart from the EFIS/EIS. Conventional breakers are mounted in a panel on the right. An AFS AOA is mounted alongside the avionics stack, the indicator will be mounted on the glare shield.

Feb132011-04.jpg
[/IMG]

Feb132011-17.jpg
[/IMG]

Now to figure out how it all works before that first flight.

Chuck

Isn't it amazing how little depth is used by the G3X Display Units - looks sort of "empty" back there....:)

Paul

Roomy on the right

Take out the displays and you have ready access to everything in the center and on the right. I just hope I don't need to get to the harness behind the stack on the left. It is a bit snug over there although I have tried to design an approach for every component and included back panel access in the baggage compartment bulkhead.

Chuck

That is some beautiful wire work! I do that for a living and you have set the bar high! Congratulations.

Back