What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP servo and Superior cold sump linkage bracket set up?

Gonzo24

Well Known Member
Happy TGIF,

I got an email from aerosport power that my IO-375 is about to make it's journey to my shop :). Does anyone know of a good builder site reference that has installed this same engine and sump set up with AFP FI, & Vetterman's 4 pipe exhaust?

I'm specifically looking for throttle and mixture bracket set-ups, cable pass throughs on the firewall and what brackets need to be home grown and what will work from Van's.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff, thanks for the compliment.

I have other pictures pf the install, but my set-up is not standard. I have a left side throttle quadrant, so my linkage and mounts may not work. None of the Vans brackets or cables were used.
Here's a pic looking up at the plate mount I fab'd for the throttle and mixture
RV-7build488.jpg

Also be aware the airbox was a battle too

Heat muff

Uh...what's up with that heat muff? Mine from Vetterman only covers one pipe and hasn't been able to keep up with the coldest December on record in Charlotte. Many flights have seen single digits at altitude.

Brian - that's good info and I really appreciate the pic. I did not catch that you installed the L/S throttle. nice set up. I like your custom bracket idea as it is a clean install. man, that green on purple is really nice....love the contrast

dlloyd - do you have the cross over or 4 individual pipe exhaust like Brian's? if it is the cross over then you will have one muff that captures heat from two pipes / cylinders upstream as it is collected into one exhaust pipe. if it is four indvidual pipes and you have one muff... well that is a new one for me...

Larry V will tell you that the 4 pipe isn't the best set up for cold weather flying.

Jeff, thanks for the compliment.

I have other pictures pf the install, but my set-up is not standard. I have a left side throttle quadrant, so my linkage and mounts may not work. None of the Vans brackets or cables were used.
Here's a pic looking up at the plate mount I fab'd for the throttle and mixture
RV-7build488.jpg

Also be aware the airbox was a battle too

4 pipe

Yes, I have the 4 pipe exhaust from Vetterman. We usually have about 3 weeks of cold weather a year that is called winter. Just never saw the 2 pipe muff before.

I understand your set up now. With this winter WX that we have been having, maybe running all of the exhaust pipes into the cabin would provide enough heat...but just barely :). I ran a single heat muff on my 7A and some cold winter nights of flying would find me nearly frozen solid by the time I got to my destination. At the time I chalked it up to the "macho, he-man, experimental builder bravado." Now I can see that I was just being bone headed and repeating this over and over without making an improvement. My wife has informed me that the -7 will have heated seats.... of course her's will be on in July.

Just curious, do you see any change in CHT's because of the 4 pipe set up taking up more of the exit air "space" at the bottom cowl exit ramp? I will be using a James cowl and have not compared the stock Van's cowl exhaust exit ramp outlet area to the James yet. Nor have I calculated the reduction of availabe space with 2 more exhaust pipes stuck in there. Any observations here would be much appreciated.

Yes, I have the 4 pipe exhaust from Vetterman. We usually have about 3 weeks of cold weather a year that is called winter. Just never saw the 2 pipe muff before.

Just curious, do you see any change in CHT's because of the 4 pipe set up taking up more of the exit air "space" at the bottom cowl exit ramp? I will be using a James cowl and have not compared the stock Van's cowl exhaust exit ramp outlet area to the James yet. Nor have I calculated the reduction of availabe space with 2 more exhaust pipes stuck in there. Any observations here would be much appreciated.

Jeff, I don't have enough time on my system to give you a good answer. I did some crude measurements when I first installed the cowl, but don't have those numbers anymore. I think it showed the inlet/outlet ratio was about 1. I thought close enough to go fly and fine tune it later if need be.
But I will say that right now it is cold outside, OAT's in the 15-30*F range and my CHT's are low. low 300's or less. It appears I have plenty of cylinder cooling.

As far as 2 pipe heat muff, at 15*F you can tell it's doing something, but to call it heat producing might be an understatement. if the sun goes away after an hour you can feel the cold creeping in. I have no seal on my canopy edge, so lots of air blowing in.

Let the fine tuning begin.

Sealing the cockpit at the seams like canopy edges, aileron boots, pushrod boots and other seams will make a big difference Brian. I'm goin gto use expandable foam to even seal the corrugated areas between the rear baggage bulkhead and tail cone area this time around. I will tape off the area so ithe foam only sticks to the removable panels and trim it nice. I hope it helps seal the area better.

Vince Frazier of Rocket fame sealed his flap pushrod area with a foam paint brush pad that had a slit in it to only allow the pushrod passage as well. I think his rocket site is still up at www.flyboyaccesories.com

Many pack scour pads (steel wool type) in the heat muff to promote more surface area for heat exchange. I made a continuous coil of 032 safety wire by chucking a turned down 1/2" dowel rod in the drill and winding the saftey wire around it. the resulitng coil was then secured tightly to the exhaust pipes inside of the heat muff. blocking off 1/2 of the air inlet to the heat muff in winter helped too.

but I digress from the original thread... I need another beer.

Jeff, I don't have enough time on my system to give you a good answer. I did some crude measurements when I first installed the cowl, but don't have those numbers anymore. I think it showed the inlet/outlet ratio was about 1. I thought close enough to go fly and fine tune it later if need be.
But I will say that right now it is cold outside, OAT's in the 15-30*F range and my CHT's are low. low 300's or less. It appears I have plenty of cylinder cooling.

As far as 2 pipe heat muff, at 15*F you can tell it's doing something, but to call it heat producing might be an understatement. if the sun goes away after an hour you can feel the cold creeping in. I have no seal on my canopy edge, so lots of air blowing in.

Let the fine tuning begin.

Back