What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aftermath

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Aftermath-------no, it is not when you are finished with the W/B figures.

It has now been a little over 24 hours since I made my first flight on the RV10 that has been a major focus of my life for a few years. I just need to express a few of the many emotions that have been running (trampling?) through my brain.

The "RV Grin":D Yep, it was there, even though there was no one there to see it when I landed, didnt even have a mirror to see it myself. But, it was there that is for sure.

Apprehension?? In spades. Tons of it in fact. I have not been solo in an aircraft for over 3 years, and not even done a lot of flying in that time-----maybe 10-15 hours in a buddies 10, strictly as a passenger. And another 5.3 hours of transition training with Mike Seager in the factory 10, 92 days prior.

I have been a pilot for close to 2/3 of my 62 trips around the sun, and the last 20 years of flying were in the same aircraft-----a Stinson 108-3, that was the same age as I am, and like me, was a bit heavy and draggy, with not a lot of power. Kinda like in the old Howlin Wolf classic, "built for comfort not built for speed". I knew the Stinson like the back of my hand, and flying it was almost boring at times.

When I took the transition training, the difference between the Stinson and the RV 10 was like night and day, squared. I did not get to the point that I felt "comfortable" with the 10, but I did achieve a feeling of "competency"-----after Mike told me not to worry, you will do fine.

Terror??----not quite, but something close. Reflecting on things, I dont think I had enough time to achieve terror, just push in the throttle and hang on/adrenaline rush. The take off was a piece of cake, and the landing was not a big deal either. After the fact, that is. While I was sitting there in the run up area I was seriously terrified/exhilarated/curious all at the same time.

There are folks who do this test pilot thing for a living-----
You guys and gals have my deepest and most profound admiration. There is absolutely no way I could survive the ebb and flow of adrenaline that you seem to think is normal. Thirty seven years of fighting fire, and I thought I knew what work stress/adrenaline hangover was------100' wall of flame aint nothin to me-------but half an hour in an extremely wonderful and docile aircraft, well, I still feel totally drained, and wrung out.

Was it worth it??????

Absoultly unqualified YES.

Would I do it again?????

Yes. No hesitation.

Was there any problems with the first flight?? Yes, a very few minor issues, and a rather big one somewhere between my own ears.

In the end, all I can say is that Mike Seager was correct.

I did fine.

Last edited:
I took my first flight in an RV10 yesterday also but not mine. Even though it wasn't mine I still had and still have the adrenaline pumping today as well as a new burst of energy to complete mine. Congrats Mike on your flight and I hope to be writing the same post in a couple years.:D

It is extremely stressful doing your first test flight. I didn't do our first test flight just the first test flight with a rebuilt engine and a new electrical wiring layout. But I think the more stressful flight for me was leaving the comfort of being in gliding distance of the airport.

Mike, It's great to hear that you've completed your first flight of your RV-10. The after-game wrap up is always a good time to look back and reflect on the things that went right, the decisions that could have been better thought out, and the flat out mistakes.

You've obviously done a fine job building your RV, and done something that every new RV pilot should do --- take some form of transition training before jumping into an untested aircraft with an untested pilot!

My transition training with Mike Seagar turned a very terrifying situation into a somewhat stressful but manageable first flight. Once I knew more about handling a fast and powerful airplane (unlike my 85hp slow-poke), I was more prepared to address any issues that might come up on my first flight. Your flying history is similar to many other RV builders. Flying goes on the back burner for a number of years and flying skills get rusty.

Congratulations on a safe and successful first flight, and looking forward to hearing more from you.

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE

After meeting with you and seeing your plane and workmanship, I knew your first flight would be a non-event. Sounds like the only event was happening between your ears. I've test flown 4 RV's now. With the proper planning,training and mind set, all four test flights were non-events. However the stress and anxiety were ever present, but quickly dissapated.

Steve

I hear you, Mike. Congrats.....have you quit grinning yet?

I had a similar story, except I'm a 6yr & 250hr pilot. I agonized over the first flight ritual. Transition training with Mike Seagar really helped this hamfisted citabria pilot, but my training was back in May. In the end my inner voice said "you're not qualified". To many "what if" questions I couldn't answer. So I had a friend take N155BK up and run her thru the paces. Later after he gave it his blessing that no bad habits were going to bite me, I took her up for a 30minute engine break-in run. You're right..no problem, turns out I would have been fine.

Oh, well. I'm betting my grin is as big as yours.:D which is why I'm at VAF instead of sleeping

I feel your pain, Mike.

When I flew Smokey for the first time (my test pilot extraordinaire, Danny King, graciously made the first couple of flights for me), I experienced the same thing squared. Maybe cubed. I hadn't flown anything in over a decade, and and a grand total of 4 hours in a C-140 for my tailwheel endorsement.

However, the first flight was essentially a non-event. We both survived. The adrenaline rush afterward took days to overcome. Totally caught me off guard. I presumed that it was because my day job is rather mundane and sedentary, so my old plumbing isn't used to adrenaline rushes. However, for a firefighter to experience the same rush and after effects leads me to conclude that it may not be related to how much adrenaline one's system is accustomed to processing.

Well done! Congrats on a beautiful plane, Mike.

With your background in the firefighting world, I never doubted that you would know how you react to the unexpected Mike, and that (to me) is the first factor in deciding about doing a first flight. It doesn't take extraordinary piloting skill, it takes someone who knows that they are able to focus through distractions.

AS for the feeling in the stomach, I will refer you to a quote from a friend of mine who is well known for making first flights in air and spacecraft. When asked "Aren't you nervous before taking a new craft aloft?", he replied simply that "If you're not at least a little nervous before doing something like that, you obviously don't understand what it is that you are about to do."

Paul

That nervousness must be helpful, because I still think my landing on the first flight was the best landing I have ever made!

Congratulations!

Well Done Mikey!

Nice write up about the emotional side of testing flying your own plane. It is an interesting transition from builder to test pilot. The brain plays tricks on you.

Now you can relax a little and fly off the 40 looking for ways to improve the plane looking for anti - chaffeling, leaks, ect.

Now we need a test pilot report! How does she fly man?

Last edited:
Good going, Mike!

What a great description of your emotions. I can't wait to feel those same emotions some day. :eek:

Happy flyin' !

Now we need a test pilot report! How does she fly man?

Larry, she flew spectacularly.

I was caught off guard a bit when it broke ground, nobody in the right seat to balance the plane---you can see the left tilt in the video.

The acceleration is incredible to experience to say the least.

The rudder trim was just what the doctor ordered, and did its job just fine. I did not test it to full travel, just enough to center the ball.

I am still getting used to the sight picture of having the nose so low, but when I finally got the elevator trim set, it went well.

Landing was a bit worse than I would have liked, but this was the first time I had landed a ten solo----I over rotated it slightly, ballooned a bit, and floated/wallowed for a bit, then settled down just fine------and I was able to keep the nose wheel up for quite a while.

Methinks the next flight will be a lot easier on my nerves.;)

Looked good to me! The first flight is full of nerves and there may have been be a little over correction, but that is very normal to get the feel of the plane.

For take off elevater trim is the big thing in the -10. The stick can be a handful (a lot of pressure) if you are "out of trim" on take off, but easily corrected with your trim control. Just be ready for it, and don't let it get too nose high.

The -10 is "all RV" and lands like a pup if you have things right. You'll learn the numbers for landing based on your bird. A little excess airspeed is not a bad thing until you are comfortable. Hard landings get expensive. ;) You will be really impressed with the cross wind capabilities, but that is down the road.

Make **** sure the doors are properly locked!

Be patient with yourself and learn what the plane is telling you. "Become one with the bird, Grasshopper." (a KungFU reference);)

I am really pumped for you Mike!

Last edited:
Back