What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP Adaptor Fit To Sump - Normal?

CMW

Well Known Member
Airflow Performance FM-200 Adapter on Sump - Is this normal?

Yesterday I got my engine hung :D - much easier than I thought it would be.

As I was admiring all the shiny bits, I noticed the fit of the Airflow Performance adapter plate to the sump. There is quite a mismatch in the diameter of the bore of the adapter plate and the inlet bore in the sump. The adapter plate measures approx. 2.375 and the bore in the sump is approx. 1.95. So, I'm questioning if this is normal. It sure goes against all my hotroding instincts, but maybe it's OK. The engine is a TMX-IO-360 and the injector servo is a FM-200.

Here's a couple of pictures:

_DSC0286_1424.JPG

Close up:

AFP%20Adaptor.jpg

Any thoughts??

Thanks - Chris

Last edited:
Not Normal

First check the servo to make sure it doesn't have an extension that mates to the pipe going through the sump (unlikely!). If not, I agree with your hot-rodder instincts. A full radius transition even though beautifully made is not going to do the airflow any good if it does not transition to the pipe ID going through the sump. Talk to the manufacturer, but I wouldn't accept it as is.

Chris,

I am not familiar with the TMX sump but thought I would show you the difference with my ECI IO-360 sump.

080719h.JPG

You can see that the sump opening is larger and mates perfectly with my AFP bracket.

I have an ECI vertical sump with AFP adapter and don't recall having any mismatch like what you show.

Hi all,

Bit different, but I just fixed my rough running O-320 by inserting an insert that smoothed the transition from carb to sump - long story and not very applicable - but I can tell you that the turbulence in the updraft/riser from a step like the one in the picture here was enough to make her sound and feel like an old tractor.

Probably won't make an enormous difference on this IO engine, however it is a bit lazy not to have a smooth induction system.

Of course you could have an O-320 straight riser sump in which case the bore of the hole will leave that step...

Sump Part Number?

Thanks for the responses so far.

I emailed Don at Airflow Performance the picture and his response was that he thinks I have a sump for a 320. I went out and got the part number off the sump, it's H LW13787 CFI E03-1. Can anyone verify that it's a 320 sump with that part number.

Thanks,

Chris

My O-320 sump.....

....is part # lw-10828 for what that's worth
but, it also has right at a 2" bore (didn't have my calipers handy, measured with a ruler)

Wrong Sump!

Well, after sending the picture to Mahlon at Mattituck and taking a measurement of the bore on the sump, it appears that it is either a 320 sump or a mis-machined 360 sump. Disappointed? - YES!! But, Mahlon assured me that it would be taken care of.

Now the question. Mahlon has given me the option of sending the engine back to them or having the parts sent to me so I or a mechanic I hire can do the swap. Having never worked on a Lycoming but with lots of experience working on cars, is there anything I should be concerned about before saying I'll swap it myself? Should I hire someone to swap it or look over my shoulder while I swap it? Or, should I bite the bullet and send the engine back and have Mattituck do it?

Expert advice much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

I would hire someone, and stipulate that you get to watch/help and LEARN.

After all, this is what the whole Experimental scene is about.

I assume the cost is going to be picked up by Mattituck??

Not in PC-103

LW-13787 doesn't appear anywhere in my recently purchased PC-103 O/IO/LIO-320 parts catalog.
I also googled this P/N, no hit:confused:

Hmmm..

Perhaps you should confirm some of the other engine part numbers just to make sure that nothing else got mixed up :eek:

Don, thanks, that's what I expected but having never been in a Lycoming, I just want to make sure there's no special tricks I need to know about.

Mike, If I go this route I think I will get someone to at least look over my shoulder. I agree about learning and would actually like to do the work myself. I'm in Livermore, do you know anyone you could recommend?

Daniel, I had the same problem. I searched every parts manual I could find and none of them had that part number. And Google gave the now very rare - "Nothing Found" Gota love Lycoming for not building any two engines the same!;)

Walt, You hit the nail on the head. The only reason I'm even contemplating sending the engine back is to have them go through it completely to make sure nothing else was missed. It's not a huge confidence builder when something is missed that is so obvious that someone with no Lycoming experience can stand back and say "That ain't right".

Thanks for the replies. I think this is a good lesson to not assume it must be right just because you bought it off the shelf from a know well respected vendor. Keep your eyes open!

Chris

Mike, If I go this route I think I will get someone to at least look over my shoulder. I agree about learning and would actually like to do the work myself. I'm in Livermore, do you know anyone you could recommend?

Chris

Call Craig Vincent at Tracy airport-----Skyview Aviation, he can probably help you with someone local to you.

I do not know of anyone in the area, sorry.

Same problem, but smaller engine!

Hello,

I encoutered the same problem, my engine arrived yesterday, a TMX IO-320 with fuel injection FM-150 from Airflow Performance.

The bore diameter on the outside of the throttlebody is 59mm (2.32"), the entry diameter of the oil sump is 49.5mm (1.95").

So there is a 5mm (0.2") step from the throttle body into the oil sump.

I do not have the AFP adapter plate, Vans cable bracket should fit.

I cannot believe that such a step is "just normal" and production engines have them also!?

I do not know what is possible and what make sence ... what has been done in the past by the same problem?

I was allready in contact with Don and waiting for an answer from Mahlon.

Regards, Dominik

In the meantime, I got answers, for an IO-320 this is a normal situation and hunderts of engines are like that, ther is no difference when these engines are running. This is an original Lycoming setup for a IO-320.

AFP can supply an spacer that would smoothen the step and act as a mountig bracket for the cables, if it is just my feeling that I do not like the step.

Dominik

Last edited:
Back