What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best cordless screwdriver-Hitachi

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I wanted to pass along my experience with the Hitachi DB3DL cordless screwdriver. I have been using it for about 12 months and I now believe I have enough time in use to provide feedback.

Cordless_Screwdrivers.jpg

I was looking for a cordless screwdriver with an adjustable slip clutch so I can adjust for the type of screw I was going to drive. I have all sorts of battery powered hand drills with clutches but I wanted a dedicated small cordless screwdriver. Another important requirement was state of the art betteries. I have many NiCad batteries for my drills that don't hold a charge and they are expensive to replace. I also hate picking up a drill and finding even though the battery was charge two months ago it was now dead. So the cordless screwdriver needed to have Lithium-ion batteries.

After visiting Lowes and HD, which didn't have anything that met my requirements, I searched the internet and found the Hitachi. I ordered it and began testing it. It met and exceeded my expectations. It comes with two batteries and holds a charge for months/years, I don't really know but it holds for a very very long time. And when in use it drives many screws (RV interior screws). It has a high and low speed setting and a 21 position clutch. It has some other nice features like a two position handle (straight and ~45 degrees) and has an LED light for illumination.

The Hitachi isn't cheap, around $60 but it worth every penny.

If you family is bugging you for Christmas present ideas and you are in need of the cordless screwdriver, then I highly recommend the Hitachi.

Hi Paul, remember me? I've had the same unit for about 3 yrs now. Has worked like a champ, right up until I accidentally knocked it off a table. And then no work. I've been sold on it too, and will pony up for another. At least I'll have extra batteries now...

More expensive, but a real gem; new DeWalt screwdriver. Here's a size comparison with a "standard" DeWalt drill/driver. Current promotion gives you the LED worklight in the deal.

I will add my Bosch to the pool of reliable cordless screwdrivers :D Thank you Paul for great thread.

mybosch.jpg

No offense

Gents,

The other cordless drills/drivers and screwdriver are either larger in diameter when rotated in screwdriver mode or just can't be rotated in screwdriver. That is why the Hitachi really works well in all the tight areas of the project.

It comes with two batteries, one is always in the unit and the other is in the charger.

Best $60 I spent in a long time.

Gents,

The other cordless drills/drivers and screwdriver are either larger in diameter when rotated in screwdriver mode or just can't be rotated in screwdriver. That is why the Hitachi really works well in all the tight areas of the project.

It comes with two batteries, one is always in the unit and the other is in the charger.

Best $60 I spent in a long time.

Couldn't agree more..............

Twenty years ago, Black & Decker sold an in line screw driver with clutch 2 to 20. It had a release that allowed the head to tilt 45dg. This was a low RPM and it allowed you to remove screws without damage.

Many times I will run the screw up and then finish with a slight twist with the power off. An inline screw driver works great..................:)

Back