What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cold weather oil cooling...

[email protected]

Well Known Member
With the colder weather firmly taking hold I have been using my inline airflow restrictor to the oil cooler from the cabin during flights to see how much control of the temperature that I have. So far, with ground temperatures down to around 30 I can easily keep my oil temps at 180+.

I am using the oil cooler and firewall mounted plenum from the -10 which has worked out exceptionally well for the IO-390.

Here is the a shot of the control side of the ducting.
img0038ep.jpg

From the engine plenum.
img0037po.jpg

Stephen,

What a great looking setup! I'm happy to hear how well it's working. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this, particulary for some of the other engines like the IO-360?

I have an injected O360 in my 6A. I have a 3" scat running to it. Only time oil ever gets over 210 is either very slow flight in hot weather, or after a long climb with OAT's in the 80's or higher. In hot weather (OAT 80F at altitude), I'll usually stabilize around 185F. I control the air throttle from the cockpit, and will open/close it several times on a flight in the winter. Coldest it runs in the winter is around 180 or so if I keep the air throttle off.

Since I fly this plane over a temperature range of 100 degrees F, I find this invaluable:

P1240384.JPG

Stephen,

What a great looking setup! I'm happy to hear how well it's working. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this, particulary for some of the other engines like the IO-360?

I have a 4" duct to a SW8432R cooler with a shut off valve. Max OT today was 160F with the OAT at 45F. It takes about an hour to get the OT up to 180 on a day like today. On the hottest days last summer, max OT seldom went over 200.

The 8432R (double pass cooler) is over kill with the IO360 180HP engine. The 8406R would probably be most adequate. It is slightly smaller, single pass, and will fit on the #4 baffle. The 8432 is difficult to mount on the baffle due to its size.

dd

Is there still enough air getting through on a hot day sitting on the ground for long durations? Say, Lakeland during Sun N Fun?

180ish in cruise with ground temps 95+

Although I have not been able to test in crazy hot temps yet I was seeing 180ish in cruise with ground temps 95+.

I am using the 4" control set up from non-stop aviation (photos in original post)

Last edited:
I'm curious what change in CHT you see when you open and close this valve?

Actually, with the 4" valve it was quite noticeable. I had some numbers recorded somewhere but can not locate them right now but as I recall, #4 CHT dropped about 15F with the valve closed.

Back