What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solo'd my first RV-7 yesterday!!! Pics and a story...

steve91t

Well Known Member
I get it now. I've always heard about the RV grin, and now I get it.

I'll try to keep this short. My dad bought a 1953 Cessna 170B when I was 14. He taught me and my brother to fly in it and it's been a part of the family for 15 years now. But they were ready for something faster and more economical. He was seriously considering something like a Cirrus. But, after growing up flying tail draggers, I felt very strongly against the Cirrus. Nothing against it, but it's just overpriced and boring. I told him about the RV-7. He started looking into it further and found that it's probably exactly what they are looking for.

So, he started searching the classifieds and found this thing within minutes from his house! What are the chances!

RV-7.jpg

It's got an IO-360, 180 hp engine and full IFR. The previous owner did a fantastic job building it.

Fast forward a few weeks to yesterday. We wanted to get both airplanes up in the air and get some pictures, before the 170 is sold. Me in the 170, and my dad and my mom in the RV. Here are a couple of pics and a short video.

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkqe9USJKLo

So, after successfully not running into each other, my dad checked me out in the RV. I am so blown away at this airplane. It's truly an amazing airplane. The power on take off is something i have never felt. Full power, tail up, and off the ground accelerating towards 140 before I can even pull the nose up.

After getting the check out on what power settings to use, and how to advance the checklist on the PFD, it was time for some alone time. So, me in an RV-7, half tanks, cool day=some unreal performance! I took off, departed the pattern, climbed up to 3000 ft before the 170 would even be on a crosswind departure! First thing I thought was, "man, this thing covers some ground!" I pulled it back to 24 squared and was indicating 175 mph!

Anyway, time for some landings. One thing that my dad had to show me was how to slow thing thing down! It's a screamer! I was often doing 160 MPH in the pattern at 18". I'd get it down to about 110MPH by my base turn, and I started feeding in the flaps. Approach was at 90 or so. My landings were slow wheel landings, some of them 3 points. Anyway, one of my approaches, I was on base, still indicating 130. I was thinking it may be time for a go around. At that time, I saw a bunch of deer on the runway! Perfect! I pulled the prop back to about 2500 revs, and about 26". I did a beautiful low pass and hit 195 mph by the end of the runway!

I ended up flying almost .8 hrs and did about 6 landings. I just can't get over this airplane. And to think, it burns the same amount of fuel an hour as the 170, but the 170 only goes 115 mph on a good day!

I'm going to start saving my pennies.

Just thought I'd share my experience. I'm definitely a fan!

I do have one question about shock cooling. What's the rule? I know the book says something like 50 degrees of cylinder head temp per minute. But lets say you are doing 140 or so on a base to final. Can you chop the power, run the prop to max, get the flaps down, then come back in with the power without hurting anything? I know when doing aerobatics, you are often WOT, then throttle closed a lot. I've never done them before, but that's what I've seen watching YouTube videos.

I'm guessing it's only a problem with a hot engine then going to idle or low power settings for an extended period of time?

Thanks guys!

Steve

Last edited:
I'll probably take some flak

but shock cooling..in the pattern. No way. EGT will change very rapidly. CHT. ain't gonna happen that fast. Big cylinder is going to take a while.

Maybe, at real high altiture, real cold air and a pretty long descent at idle you have to worry about it.

Just my 2 cents worth. Opinions are like ...holes, everybody's got one.

PS..congrats on the RV and getting the grin. Enjoy every minute of it.

I do have one question about shock cooling. What's the rule? I know the book says something like 50 degrees of cylinder head temp per minute. But lets say you are doing 140 or so on a base to final. Can you chop the power, run the prop to max, get the flaps down, then come back in with the power without hurting anything? I know when doing aerobatics, you are often WOT, then throttle closed a lot. I've never done them before, but that's what I've seen watching YouTube videos.

I'm guessing it's only a problem with a hot engine then going to idle or low power settings for an extended period of time?

I'm with Widget on this one - I don't worry that much about shock cooling for pattern operations. I do think it is the mark of a good pilot who knows their airplane to never have to just "chop" power (unless it's an emergency) - I like to be smooth in everything I do. Descents? I make them with as much power as I can without exceeding red line (or Va if it is rough) to keep both the speed and engine temps up.

Acro? With a constant speed prop, I set 75% power, and then don't touch the throttle during most of the "gentleman" maneuvers we do in the RV (loops, rolls, combinations).

Shock cooling takes it's toll on jump and two plane engines, certainly - but for personal use, I think it is much less of a factor.

Congrats on the new plane!

Paul

Nice story Steve, welcome to the group. And thats a fine looking -7 as well....I have not seen that one before.

Welcome to VAF!!!

Steve, welcome aboard VAF, great to have you here.

Couple of great airplanes you got there, both outstanding examples in their own class.

So, when you gonna start your own 7???

Thanks guys. Paul, I completely agree with your comment about not having to chop the power for a normal approach and about being as smooth as possible. But, we all know sometimes you find yourself in a situation that may require knowing how to put the brakes on. I fly Dash 8's for Piedmont Airlines. When I was in the left seat, I often had to show new FO's how to get the plane slowed down in a hurry, usually due to ATC, but also due to poor decent planning on our parts. I was more or less asking just to hear some opinions on how far you can pull the power back in the pattern, because I know there are many views on this. Good to know its pretty tough to do any damage.

I would love to build my own! But unfortunately, I'm not really the building type. I enjoy flying and working on things. Someday, I want to build my own Factory Five Coupe, but not an airplane. I think I'll be in the market for a nice RV 4 in a couple of years. That'll get me in the air sooner rather than later. I just have to convince my wife that sitting in the back seat is not as bad as it may seem.

I hate to see the 170 go. I have many many amazing memories in it. And there is still nothing that beats flying around at 500 ft at 80 MPH with your arm hanging out the window.

If anyone know somebody looking for a nice 170, let me know. She needs a good home!

Steve

Think long term

Just a thought for you-------

Hangar space.

If the 170 is in a hangar, and you sell it now, will you loose the hangar before you can replace the 170 with an RV 4???

Just a thought for you-------

Hangar space.

If the 170 is in a hangar, and you sell it now, will you loose the hangar before you can replace the 170 with an RV 4???

Oh, both planes are his. His plan was to sell the 170 and then get an RV. But he happen to find this RV 7 that he could not pass on. The 170 is in a temporary hanger until it sells. I'd love to keep the 170 for a while, but I'm getting ready to start pilot training in a few months, and will be getting very busy. I also have to start getting the house ready to sell. Going to have to move next summer.

Steve

Steve, good to hear you are enjoying Randy's -7. You are correct, he did do a nice job building it and you and your father should spend many years enjoying it.

Congrats on soloing the 7. You will find it is a great airplane. May I offer some suggestions for the pattern. Find out what manifold pressure it takes to fly about 90 mph with half flaps. Mine is 14". At about 2 miles out I pull back to 14" and I like to be level at pattern altitude at about 1 mi before turning downwind. This usually gives me 110mph as I am ready to turn downwind. Roll in 1/2 flaps and that gives you about 90 or so for downwind. Get the numbers just over your shoulder, pull off most of the power, go to full flaps and turn base. I use 75-80 down final and 70 - 75 over the fence solo 75 - 80 loaded. 140 in the pattern is way too fast as most traffic will be doing 70 - 100. Also a nice tight pattern works a lot better than a long drawn out 3 degree approach. Don

My -6 flies slightly slower than your -7 but even so I try to get the speed down to 120 or so before entering the pattern, more as a courtesy to the Cessnas and Cherokees in the pattern that I don't need to be over-running.

I saw your comment about how overpriced the Cirrus is, and then saw the picture of the -7... 3-bladed constant speed prop, and IO-360? That's gotta cost some serious coin right there! :) But i'm sure you and your father are going to have a blast with it. All of the RV's are such nice planes.

Nice!!!

Great to see my plane for the first time in the air! I didn't know it looked so good! Radomir & I have the new engine in the Heavy RV (Bonanza F33A) and it flew last week! Miss the RV though! Hope to see you and Alan soon!
Randy Utsey
Original builder of "Charlie U"
Charlotte, N.C.

Great story Steve. Your Dads next adventure will be learning formation flying. As you know, his hangar-mates have RV-8s and formate regularly...another great adventure. Bill C.

Great Story

Great story, Steve! I've only flown once in an RV (it was a 6A) and I remember finding myself in somewhat shock from the performance as well, there's nothing like it! Especially on the takeoff roll! Good luck on your upcoming training.:)

That sounds exciting. Thanks for the story - it's exactly the kind of thing I need to motivate me to go out to the shop and work on my 6a.

Back