What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: Avionics, AHRS and Magnetometer Mount

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One of the neat things about building an RV-3B is that you get to do a LOT of internal design from scratch. Another is the fact that the airframe was originally designed with a fuselage tank ahead of the instrument panel, and since the -3B has wing tanks, all of that volume is now nothing but empty space! Combine these two neat things, and you have a chance to build in some fascinating places to mount such things as avionics and their related sensors.

Taking yet another page from Randy Lervold’s playbook, I had long ago decided to add a “shelf” of sorts extending from the firewall back to the instrument panel. This shelf would be a convenient place to mount remote avionics, relays, and other electronic and electrical components. In addition to this shelf, we are also building a center avionics stack, and I figured that the two items could work together structurally to make a very light “space frame” of mutual support. In fact, I began building the avionics rack without a firm plan for how it would be anchored at the top (the bottom is picking up existing nutplates on the F-303), figuring that the answer would eventually become obvious.

Well, it all worked out. What I did was to use a piece of 1” angle laid across the longerons to support the top of the avionics stack, and also serve as the aft end of the AHRS/electronics shelf. The shelf itself is simply two pieces of ¾” angle that rest on (and are bolted to) the top cross-frame of the firewall, and the aforementioned 1” angle. The angle is bolted to the longerons. Since the avionics stack vertical angles aren’t actually vertical, but lean forward, they don’t contact the face of the 1” angle, making anchoring them to this cross-piece problematic. But once I laid out the shelf design, I had my answer – I simply extended the side “rails” of the shelf beyond the cross-piece, forming two “ears” to which I could bolt the stack. Voila! Instant framework!

The Avionics Stack and Shelf are a common structure:
IMG_0222.JPG

The shelf “ears” support the top of the avionics stack:
IMG_0224.JPG

The bottom of the AHRS shelf is a piece of 0.040 I had in the shop, with two ¾” angles riveted on the bottom to make it nice and stiff. This will serve as a stable platform for the AHRS. The rest of the shelf will provide a very handy place to mount relays, wiring junction, MAP sensors, etc. It should make for a tidy wiring bay when it is all done. I haven’t decided exactly where the AHRS is going to go yet – forward or aft on the shelf – but as I gather more components and start building harnesses, it should find it’s natural spot.

IMG_0228.JPG

I recently saw pictures of a gorgeous RV-3B that used this space as a forward baggage compartment ala’ the RV-8. I thought about how neat this would be, but then I thought about custom-building a door for it (with no prefab parts at all), and decided I’d just put the luggage in back. Maybe we’ll do the forward baggage on our next one….:)

Paul

Last edited:
Nice fab work!

Paul, a question and a learning for me, wouldn't placing the ADAHRS that close to the radio stack have interference implications?

Paul, a question and a learning for me, wouldn't placing the ADAHRS that close to the radio stack have interference implications?

I have had the GRT AHRS in my -8 mounted very close between all the avionics and have never had an issue. The G3X AHRS box is new, so we don't have much data from the field on it, but I expect that it will be pretty well designed, given it's lineage. I think what's important is making sure we don't have any RF "leaks" from the antenna cables, and that just takes quality building. Maybe I'll have Louise build those...:D

Paul

Nice work Paul. The GSU 73 is under the panel in a lot of the other airplanes, including Doug's, so you shouldn't have any trouble there. However I wouldn't mount the magnetometer anywhere close to the panel or engine! :)

mcb

I have had the GRT AHRS in my -8 mounted very close between all the avionics and have never had an issue. The G3X AHRS box is new, so we don't have much data from the field on it, but I expect that it will be pretty well designed, given it's lineage. I think what's important is making sure we don't have any RF "leaks" from the antenna cables, and that just takes quality building. Maybe I'll have Louise build those...:D

Paul

The install manual suggests that the Garmin AHRS box is pretty quiet, and not affected by nearby magnets/fields. Heat may be an issue...

The thornier problem is the GMU-44 magnetometer. There is no spot in any RV airframe that comes close to meeting the guidelines in the install manual. My BMA magnetometer was mounted in the aft fuselage on a shelf across the upper longerons and worked well, but was a major pain to install and/or service.

I have added a trutrak pitch servo in the stock location, and the Garmin install manual suggests that the most important consideration is motors or servos, and recommends 10 feet separation. In a 16 foot fuselage, that's petty hard to do.

Garmin makes a part to install the GMU-44 on the aft deck of a -6, -7, -9 in front of the horizontal stab front spar, but that location doesn't have enough room in the tandem aircraft. Moving between the spars puts you very close to the (steel) weldment for the elevators.

The "preferred" location is in a wingtip, but I am worried about the water pipe counterweight, as well as the wiring for wingtip lighting.

I should have parts in hand in a week or so, but if anyone has figured this out before me, I'd love to know :)

I have already mounted the GMU on the aft deck...of the -3! So there is plenty of room for it. In fact, the forward lightening hole of the aft deck is too large for the diameter of the GMU - I had to build an adpater plate with a smaller hole in it.

I tested this location in the -8 for my GRT magnetometer many years ago, and had some small interference from the steel elevator horns, so went with a mid-body location for that unit in that airplane. I am going to try the aft deck for the -3 becasue it is a very obvious place to put it from a fit and structural standpoint. It'd also be a real pain to mount it midbody in the tiny -3 fuselage....

Paul

But when the gas tank lived in that space, it was the only item ( except for the skin) to remove to gain access to the rudder pedals, master cylinders and other items of interest........

I am waiting with anticipation to know how the magnetometer performs in Paul?s proposed location. The G3X series looks ideal for aircraft such as the 3 and the 4 with limited panel space and with availability in Europe under local warrenty conditions makes this system more desirable than say Dynon, GRT, MGL or AFS systems.

Randy Levold states in his RV-3 construction website, that he set off with the idea of building light. Some how along the way, the lbs mounted up and Randy?s RV-3 turned out to be quite heavy. I am hoping Paul, that you are keeping an eye on the lbs and have signed up for RV-3 Weight Watchers.

Randy Levold states in his RV-3 construction website, that he set off with the idea of building light. Some how along the way, the lbs mounted up and Randy´s RV-3 turned out to be quite heavy. I am hoping Paul, that you are keeping an eye on the lbs and have signed up for RV-3 Weight Watchers.

I figure that all of the "heavy" stuff that we are adding amount to MAYBE a 10-15 pound delta over a strictly VFR/Day airframe. I've lost more than that with a sensible diet in the past two months....makes me happy, the Flt Surgeons happy, Louise happy - and the airplane doesn't care where the weight savings comes from (airfram or payload) at liftoff!;):D

Last edited:
I figure that all of the "heavy" stuff that we are adding amount to MAYBE a 10-15 pound delta over a strictly VFR/Day airframe. I've lost more than that with a sensible diet in the past two months....makes me happy, the Flt Surgeons happy, Louise happy - and the airplane doesn't care where the weight savings comes from (airframe or payload) at liftoff!;):D

I was actually refering to the airframe Paul and not to yourself. Sorry if that came over as a bit cheeky. However, I laud the effort in losing personal payload and it is something I am doing too. Trouble is, the food in this country is very good and there is always a devil on my shoulder tempting me every time I go food shopping or into a restaurant.

GMU44 in the RV-8

I am also installing the G3X in my 8 and have elected to put the GMU44 on a transverse shelf between the upper longerons in front of the F-809 bulkhead. Hard to get to yes but it seems to be an acceptable compromise. I discussed this subject with the folks at Stein's including a builder of an 8 who plans to do the same. I will be careful to have the canopy closed for all calibrations of the 44 and hope I never have to remove it.

The AHRS (GSU73) will sit on a shelf behind the panel. Lots of space with those shallow display units.

Chuck

I am also installing the G3X in my 8 and have elected to put the GMU44 on a transverse shelf between the upper longerons in front of the F-809 bulkhead. Hard to get to yes but it seems to be an acceptable compromise. I discussed this subject with the folks at Stein's including a builder of an 8 who plans to do the same. I will be careful to have the canopy closed for all calibrations of the 44 and hope I never have to remove it.

The AHRS (GSU73) will sit on a shelf behind the panel. Lots of space with those shallow display units.

Chuck

Those are the exact spots I used for AHRS and Magnetometers in the -8 Chuck...good job!;)

Paul

Last edited:
Looks great, Paul... I was in Atlanta with another 10 builder who is also installing the G3X. We were looking at a very similar location for the 10.

Good thread with a couple of ideas we might be able to steal and modify for the 10.

Phil

Avionics Systems in Leesburg VA installed a G3X in a RV 3 for a customer and placed the GMU 44 in the aft empennage. They fabricated a bracket attached to the first former aft of the rear baggage panel. (The panel is removed in these pictures). The magnetometer interference test was completed and passed without any problems. The customer has reported no problems with this location and is very pleased with the heading performance.

The mounting of the GMU 44 should be rigid and level with the water line level of the aircraft. Use of the GMU site survey tool is recommended when selecting the GMU mounting location to alleviate later problems with magnetic interference from moving aircraft parts and electrical wiring. The Magnetometer interference test within the G3X can also be used once the system is installed and wired. Performing the engine run up test will help to ensure the magnetometer and AHRS are not being adversely affected by engine vibration.

wi6osj.png

RV-3

33c59tv.png

RV-3

In a two-seat RV, the aft deck under the horizontal stabilizer may be used for the GMU 44 (F-714 for the RV-7, or a similar location for the 6/8/9). The RV 10 will need a different location due to having a servo mounted close to this location.

zv96px.png

RV-10

Last edited:
Avionics Systems in Leesburg VA installed a G3X in a RV 3 for a customer and placed the GMU 44 in the aft empennage. They fabricated a bracket attached to the first former aft of the rear baggage panel. (The panel is removed in these pictures). The magnetometer interference test was completed and passed without any problems. The customer has reported no problems with this location and is very pleased with the heading performance.

(snip)

In a two-seat RV, the aft deck under the horizontal stabilizer may be used for the GMU 44 (F-714 for the RV-7, or a similar location for the 6/8/9). The RV 10 will need a different location due to having a servo mounted close to this location.

RV-10

Hi Tim.

In the top picture of Dave's airplane, you can just see the top of the elevator bellcrank. The Trutrak servo (which Dave doesn't have installed) is mounted a few inches aft of this, which puts it about 2-3 feet from the magnetometer. I should have parts in hand next week or the week after to test.

The "mounting considerations" pdf lists servos and motors as the number one priority, ahead of large chunks of iron, small chunks of iron, and wiring. I suspect that the competitors' magnetometers are equally sensitive, but that Garmin has gone through more testing since the GMU44 is TSOd.

I assume, of course, that transmitting antennas are a problem, but that passive (vor/nav) antennas are not. Are active GPS antennas a problem?

I assume, of course, that transmitting antennas are a problem, but that passive (vor/nav) antennas are not. Are active GPS antennas a problem?

James,

Since the GPS antenna is not ferrous (base and connector) it should not affect the GMU 44 as long as the antenna is not mounted with ferrous hardware (screws and nuts or nut plates). If ferrous mounting hardware is used the requirement would be 3 feet seperation from the GMU 44 since the wieght of the antenna and hardware is less than 1 kg.

Back