What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What size is good for a Compressor?

Chappyd

Well Known Member
:confused: I've been organizing the workshop over the last couple of days. My tail kit should be here on Tuesday. I was messing around with my compressor, and I don't think it is going to be up to continious use for rivetting and marginal with an air squeezer as well, especially if I'm moving quickly. The one in the shop is a 1-1/2 hp, 12 gallon. I have another in the garage that's 3 hp and 20 gallon. I've looked a little around the web but can't seem to get an idea about what would be right for building an RV. My Dad is coming over to help me rewire the shop today ( been needing this done for a while now) and now would be a good time to decide if I need a 230V hookup. The Compressor in the garage is a 230V. What are you folks using for compressors?

Any input would be appreciacted

Thanks

I use a 5HP 60gal upright Ingersol. Some might say it is overkill, but it is super quiet when it never runs during a whole rivet session :).

Bigger is better.

I've been using one I've had in my garage for longer than I've been flying. It's a 5 hp/ 60 gal. It's really more than you need. What's more important than hp or tank size is: How many cubic feet per minute will it deliver? I feel that 6 cfm is the minimum I would consider. Your air drill and any grinders (die- or angle-types) will use the largest amounts. A bigger tank will take longer to bleed down to where the compressor motor kicks in (usually about 85 psi) but then again, it'll run a bit longer to bring the tank back up to the cut-off pressure (usually about 120 psi). If the compressor motor is/can be wired for 230 volt I'd definitely go with that. It'll draw less current set up that way. Check Harbor Freight or Northern Hydraulic for some good prices. I got mine at Costco. Hope this helps.

I second the big compressor theory... or is that a third?

I too have a 60 galln unit and it rarely runs unless I am using high volume equipment.

Here is a link... to a thread I wrote on the subject.

Hope it helps.

:D CJ

Just whatever you get, do NOT get an oiless compressor. If you're never heard one before, you would not believe the racket they make.

I have a Lowes (Kobalt brand) 60 gal compressor.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=134819-48540-K7060HFV&lpage=none

Cost $500, or something like that. It runs on 220 so I'm going to have to get another compressor for the hanger. All I can say is that this thing ROCKS. I can run my die grinder, drills, air nibbler, etc all day long, and the compressor just plugs and chugs away no problem. Also, being 60 gallons means that it runs much less frequently than a much smaller compressor. It's really nice to build in silence. Really, this particular compressor wasn't my first choice, but the guy I bought my house from happened to already have 220 in the garage for HIS compressor. Way cheaper to just buy a nice, 220V compressor than pay an electrician to change my 220 outlet to 115.

I'd go ahead and get the biggest compressor that will fit your budget up to 60 gallons. Anymore than that, you're just throwing money away, but while 60 gallons might be a "luxury", it is definately NOT overkill. Also, the most important thing, really, is the SCFM. > 10 scfm @ 90psi works well. Mine happens to do 13, I think. It just so happens that by the time you get a compressor with decent capacity, you're typically in the 60 gallon range. I think Ingersol Rand makes a 30 gallon 12CFM compressor, or something like that, but it's ridiculously expensive.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Look at your tools

I looked at the air tools I would use to find the pressures (PSI) they would use and the amount of air delivery they require (CFM). Most appear to require less than 6 CFM at 90 PSI. I just ran across a Schulz heavy duty compressor that delivers 5.9 CFM at 90 PSI with a 30 gallon tank, and got that for $400. It seemed to me that 30 gallon is about the minimum I would need.

My guess is that you could make do with less, but I did not want to be frustrated by a lack of compressor capacity. I also didn't want to have my garage rewired for 220v; and, I wanted the piston driven type, because they seem to me to be quieter.

I bought a Sears piston type that is 25 gallon, 6.8 CFM @90 lbs. 120 volt compressor. I have been very satisfied with it. I have used it for all my air tools, paint spraying and it does a great job. I saw it in a current Sears catalog for $379.00 the other day. I like the 120 volt horizontal tank type because it is easier to move around from the shop to the hanger. The vertical types are too top heavy to throw in the truck and haul to the airport for me. It is pretty quiet but I set it outside under a carport and run the main airline into the shop to a regulator and water trap. Bigger is always better but this compressor is doing the job fine and is really handy. The model number is 919.195411 or 0919541N.

I agree that most oilless compressors are really noisey, but my Porter Cable compressor is very quiet and very adequate. It has a 25 gallon tank, is upright and very portable, and runs at 175 psi. I can easily talk over it and it has a very rapid recovery. My last compressor was also oilless, but would wake up the dead. I was really glad when it died, but I liked the oilless for spraying water base primers like UV smooth prime. I had the store plug this one in before I bought it. It really is not much louder than smaller piston types and much faster with more volume than comparable sizes.

JMHO

Roberta

Thanks!

I went out to the garage and found that one is rated at 7.5 cfm at 90 psi. Even though the tank is kinda small, I think I'll start out with it and see how it goes. What the heck, it's here. And it'll give me an excuse to wire a 230V line into the shop area. :)

I had a 22 gallon 5hp Campbel Hausfeld. It lasted about a year. The drilling is what killed it in the end. It was oilless - very loud. I'm glad it's dead.

I wound up getting an 80 gallon Ingersol Rand. I'm very happy with it. It's quiet and will handle anything including painting. Go for oil lubed whatever you choose. :D

Mine is a 5 hp, 12.5 CFM @ 100 psi, brand name Eagle, made in Canada. Bought at Coastal Farm Supply on sale for $400, normally $469. This is 5 hp running, more on startup, but many "5 hp" models are 5 hp on startup & somewhat less while running. It is an oil type but it is loud. I also have problems once in awhile with the belt flipping, which seems to stem from pulleys getting out of alignment.

I would probably look at the Husky's at Home Depot, which are not as heavy duty, but are probably quieter. They ran around $400 for a "5 hp" 60 gallon model last time I looked. Anyone have experience with the Husky's?

rv9aviator said:
I bought a Sears piston type that is 25 gallon, 6.8 CFM @90 lbs. 120 volt compressor. I have been very satisfied with it. I have used it for all my air tools, paint spraying and it does a great job. I saw it in a current Sears catalog for $379.00 the other day. I like the 120 volt horizontal tank type because it is easier to move around from the shop to the hanger. The vertical types are too top heavy to throw in the truck and haul to the airport for me. It is pretty quiet but I set it outside under a carport and run the main airline into the shop to a regulator and water trap. Bigger is always better but this compressor is doing the job fine and is really handy. The model number is 919.195411 or 0919541N.
This one:
http://www.sears.com/aircompressor
It is the one I got for the hanger. If you can't use 220 at your house, OR if you plan on moving it to the hanger when you are done building (and the hanger probably doesn't have 220) then this is the way to go. It isn't AS nice as a 60 gal, but it gets the job done for all but continuous use of a grinder or drill. (and you won't be using the drill continuously I hope, if you do, you need a new bit :( ). I have no complaints and it is quiet as heck. For sure get an oil-lube one.

I think this thread should be a sticky in the tools section :).

Never have too much

I agree with most of the guys here that the 5+HP 220 volt 60 to 80 gals is the way to go. I worked my way up throughout my life and finally got one that I could sandblast with. (Sandblasting takes a big flow)

I figure AIR is kinda like FUEL. The only time you have too much fuel, is when you are on fire, otherwise the same goes for air. When I am using my airbrush for priming in tight spots and around edges, I can run it all day long with the compressor motor shutoff and never run out of air. When your buddy is over helping you deburr the edges of big pieces of aluminum sheet, it's nice to have enough air to run two die grinders with scotchbrite wheels.

I can tell you this, you will never regret getting the bigger unit, because then you are not limited in the things that you can do with air.

Cheers, Pete

An alternative

Chappyd said:
:.....What are you folks using for compressors? Any input would be appreciacted...
This oil lubricated compressor has served me quite well for many years, including the building of my 6A. By keeping it ganged to a portable air tank, its effective capacity is increased to 27 gallons. I should note I typically use a Dewalt cordless electric drill instead of a more traditional air powered drill motor. That (ear friendly) construction practice alone reduces the duty cycle on the compressor motor dramatically.
img0006201gm.jpg
img0007209ij.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Back