What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonoco Brake Line Tour (Video)

Phil

Well Known Member
I have replaced the aluminum hard lines for the brake system with Bonoco Teflon hoses all the way from the pedals to the landing gear mounts. A few folks have asked me how I ran them and how I supported them throughout the run.

Here's a video of the installation with all the details of lengths, fittings, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gemgQmVsOYI

Phil

Phil,
Another nice video. What are you using from the gear mounts down to the brakes? I'm planning on Bonaco for the entire run and was curious what your plans are since you didn't mention it in the clip.

Todd,

I'm planning a single long run from the mount to the brake. I haven't had those lines made up yet since I'm not on the gear and I can't get an accurate measurement. But that's the plan as soon as I get the airplane rolling.

I don't like the hard lines on the gear legs where they can fracture and spill fluid on to a hot brake pad. If they go off, so will the wheel pant and the wheel pant is under the fuel tank and the fuel tank is under someones exit. :)

Just personal preference on my part.

Phil

Brett knows the length, just recieved mine

a few days ago. 12,000 psi burst pressure on the -3 lines. $175 for the kit. I am going with 5052 from parking brake valve to gear mount. Good video Phil.

Another great video Phil. I like the details of your thinking. Very clear and consise!

Brake return springs?

Phil,
Great job installing the brake lines. I'd like to know more about how you installed the return springs on the brake master cylinders. I now many have problems with dragging brakes and I spoke with Matco who said the last 1/16 in of the master cylinder extension is critical. What spring, etc. did you use for the returns??

Thank you.
Bill Z

Hi Bill,

Someone else sent me a PM about that and here is the response I sent them. I'm currently out of town, but I can get a photo or video on Monday...

Phil said:
I can snap a photo or a video of those too. Yes, the spring is to assist the pedal back into position so the master cylinders are fully extended.

I actually picked up all the components for it at Ace Hardware. They had several drawers of various hardware and in the process I found a nylon washer to put on the bottom, a collar for the top, and the spring to put between them..

If I showed you a photo or a video, it would make perfect sense.

Take a look at this thread and it might help.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57022

Also, I found that the holes on the left and right flanges of each rudder pedal were not in perfect axis. You can see that when I insert a long both straight through in this photo:

IMG00036.jpg

I eventually bent the flanges of the pedals more until the bolt would pass through both holes. This meant the axis of the right side was in-line with the axis on the left. As soon as I did that, ALL the of binding I was experincing went away and I honestly don't think I even need the springs anymore.

Getting the left and right flanges so they are in-line and rotating on the same axis is the real trick to keeping the brakes from dragging and I would try that before doing anything else because it was the silver bullet.

For what it's worth, I'm not using the long-bolt trick that others have mentioned (which by the way - is designed to get both the left and right flanges on the same axis). I just bent them so they aligned and then used individual bolts on the left and right flanges.

Works like a charm and I could probably take the springs off if I weren't so lazy. :D

Let me know if you want a photo or a video, I'll be happy to go out and shoot one.

Phil

Back