What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving Day

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
The time has come to relocate the plane to the airport where I will be doing the final assembly, and test flying.

Here are a few shots of the process of getting it on the trailer.

"Lets go for a little walk"

P9250020.jpg

Aiming for the center of the ramps.

P9250021.jpg

P9250022.jpg

My buddy Steve Barnard is guiding the plane, I am working the remote for the winch, and watching the overall progress.

P9250027.jpg

Almost there........

P9250030.jpg

In place, the black bar behind the main wheel is a removable safety stop, keeps the plane from rolling off until the hold down straps are on. Also, there is a light bar on the tail.

P9250033.jpg

O.K., time for a break. The winch is clearly visible on the trailer tongue to my right, and the light bar can be seen too.

P9250035.jpg

More to come.;)

Last edited:
Like we say down here....yehaaaa!

Interesting aircraft trailer. Yeah, mine is still missing :mad:

Like we say down here....yehaaaa!

Interesting aircraft trailer. Yeah, mine is still missing :mad:

I built it specific to the 10.

Actually, it was originally built to haul a Dragonfly, and was 26' long, but then I modified it to fit the 10.

Sorry to hear you havent recovered the trailer yet:mad:

Mike how far is the airport? Do you plan to drive on a highway with the trailer? At what speed?

Wow small trailer! We had a monster and I was still afraid. We took it to the airport with the tail feathers on though.

Vlad, 20 or so miles, and I will be going slowly. The cowling will be on before I go, still need to tidy up a few things for the trip.

Todd, I just didn't see any reason to have a bunch of trailer sticking out the back, holding up nothing.

I have a light bar on the rear of the fuse, ties into the trailer lights, and will have a friend following me in a separate vehicle.

I have already hauled the plane on this trailer to have the headliner installed, it all went just fine.

Where?

Mike,

Just curious

What airport are you doing your Phase I out of, Placerville?

Is it not allowed out of Cameron Park?

Thanks

Ted

Great news

Glad your are getting close to flying.

Must say that trailer set up scares the heck out of me. I have done a lot of trailering in my life and seen all sorts of "what can go wrong will" incidents. If I had that much $$ tied up in a great plane, I would have a MUCH bigger set up, even if it costs some money to rent. But...glad it all went well. Get her in the air.

Mike,

Just curious

What airport are you doing your Phase I out of, Placerville?

Is it not allowed out of Cameron Park?

Thanks

Ted

Ted, correct, Cameron Park has been declared to be a no first flight location by the local FSDO. Placerville is also on the "not allowed" list that the local FAA has created.

I am going to be using Rancho Murieta for the phase 1.

Mike,
Glad you have experience with that trailer.
I won't worry about it if you won't.
It's getting really exiting now, good luck.

Congrats Mike!

Too bad you can't fly out of your airpark for Phase 1....but then again, you retired guys have to the time to drive 20 miles to do your finish-up work...;)

Paul

Congrats on the milestone, Mike.

In some ways I'm jealous, but others I'm not... Mainly the time and hangar rent aspects. :)

Moving day, part 2

Well, all went just fine, 210LM is in its new, temporary housing.

Thanks to all who sent the good wishes, greatly appreciated.

Wings in Randy's trailer.

P9250004.jpg

Cowl on, all loose wiring etc strapped/taped down.

P9250005.jpg

Un loaded and heading inside.

P9260008.jpg

The wings were only a little too long for the trailer-----

P9260010.jpg

Wings mounted for the last time..........

P9260012.jpg

Thanks for looking;)

Black Cat

I hope that black cat does not distract you.
As I see it, a black cat is only bad luck if you are a mouse.

I am quite impressed, seeing your RV-10 moved and assembled on the same day. I am going to have to visit in Rancho Murieta to hold you up a bit.

I hope that black cat does not distract you.
As I see it, a black cat is only bad luck if you are a mouse.

She is my helper-----likes to get in the plane when I am working on it. Since I have had the upholstery in, I have had to keep her out------

I am quite impressed, seeing your RV-10 moved and assembled on the same day. I am going to have to visit in Rancho Murieta to hold you up a bit.

Not really assembled, just got the close tolerance wing bolts in while I had a few helpers around. Dry ice and LPS 3 made the chore fairly easy------when used with a brass hammer and a wooden drift. :D

Come visit anytime, your job is to bring donuts :rolleyes:

That black cat caught my eye too... I've been known to stop in the road and wait until someone else crosses the path first or I head around the block and come in from the other side.

I'm afraid I would have had it locked in a bedroom while I was preparing to hit the highway.

Way cool

For a guy mired in the dreaded fiberglass and hoping to order an engine any day, this is inspiration. Can't wait for my day.

You sure look tired! I avoided this by using a specially trained animal...

124_2482_1.jpg

I've posted this pic before, it never fails to remind me of the 'big day'.

V

You could wait Mike till winter comes and use a horse like these guys I know :D

912.jpg

If horse gets tired you can do it yourself :D

889.jpg

I don't know if Vern's trained animal could tow this yak or your ten... May be it needs that black cat of yours before it.

Last edited:
Just wanted say congrats Mike.....

Looks great!

My engine is hung and I am in that special phase of aircraft building...
What the **** do I do next!!!! So many choices!!!

You have given me incentive to push forward and just do something, even if it's wrong! ;)

Wow, That's Fantastic

I've been watching your progress from afar.... I love your posts!

Couldn't be happier for you!

Back