What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plasma position baffles me!

shiney

Well Known Member
This is the position that the plasma units are located on the engine as it arrived from Mattituck;

plasmabaffles.jpg

As you can see, they interfere with the rear baffle, it's not possible to feed the wire directly through the baffle as the plasma units are too close so I either
a). need to move them somewhere else
b). fabricate a recess in the rear baffle

If anyone has come up against this problem or if you have pics of where your plasma bits are located on the engine then I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks

Martin

What I did.

33p7g3n.jpg

r1e6x4.jpg

2dkg7ch.jpg

It made me kind of annoyed that they put it where they do. Odd that they dont put a little time into understanding the needs of buyers. We ended up fabing this bracket. Seems to be the best of the available choices. Must keep it low enough it it doesnt hit top of cowl etc.

If you want more more pics, let me know. Just wait until you find out you need to order the little baffle pass throughs as nobody will throw those $2 parts in and none of the fuel lines will fit either. Oh the fun of it all.:mad:

Last edited:
new bracket

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your quick reply, and yes please, if you can email or post some pics of the bracket you fabricated that woudl be great. Also, did you pass the wiring through a grommet?

Many thanks

Martin

Give me a day.

Give me a day to get back to the shop and I will do my best to take some newer pics. Yes, had to put the ACS plastic bushings in. Not working on plane today...patience. :)

Cheers

Thanks Rick, I'll wait to hear from you.

Also what did you mean when you said;
Just wait until you find out you need to order the little baffle pass throughs as nobody will throw those $2 parts in and none of the fuel lines will fit either.

Martin

Plasma coils

I have the same issue on my Lycon IO-360 and got some right angle female spade contacts which look as though they will work well and clear the rear baffle. Might be worthwhile for you to check out - cheap and easy if they work.

Bill

Hi Martin,
Long time no speak. Hope you're well.

Yep, I had this too. Couldn't relocate further forward as all the other forward case bolts were occupied. I made my own angle bracket that put the coils slightly further away from the baffle, but not by much as it would foul on the F.I. spider.

I have cut four smaller holes in the baffles, one for each wire and bought some blind grommets to take the wire passthrus.

I also bought from vans the older rear baffle support brace that links the baffle to two rear engine accessory case bolts rather that the two top case bolts just forward of the rear baffle.

Regards,
Steve

Thanks Steve,

I think I've got it clear now where to relocate, after much consideration, I think Rick's solution is the best way.

Hope you are well

Thanks

Martin

Hi Shiney,

I ended up having to do something similar to what Rick did.

ajl.jpg

For bandwidth purposes, a full sized version is available here.

I moved the engine hoist loop forward one hole and swapped the spacers for the spider around. This allowed the supplied LSE bracket to be used. I found the right-angle fast-on connectors at Pep-Boys.

Last edited:
Hi Shiney,

I ended up having to do something similar to what Rick did.

ajl.sized.jpg

For bandwidth purposes, a full sized version is available here.

I moved the engine hoist loop forward one hole and swapped the spacers for the spider around. This allowed the supplied LSE bracket to be used. I found the right-angle fast-on connectors at Pep-Boys.

And don't just crimp these connectors... solder them and shrink over.

More pics

Here are a few more pics. Hope it helps. Happy with the way it worked out but did burn up some more hours.

29vnw38.jpg

10y0782.jpg

2efsw9v.jpg

348o781.jpg

2efsw9v.jpg

2j15zrk.jpg

29vnw38.jpg

Last edited:
Nice installation!

Rick and David, your engine installations and baffles look really nice! I'm just finishing up baffles and the things that go through them. The worst cuts have healed :eek:

I'm using dual Lightspeed ignitions and wanted to mount all the coils on the cool side (in flight) of the cowl. Took some head scratching. Here's what I came up with. It was kind of a pain- several iterations of brackets went into the trash before I called it good enough:

987094092_TwopF-L.jpg

987094505_r6sX7-L.jpg

1015165860_Zf3pK-L.jpg

Back