What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MSA-4,5 Carb on O360

BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Gang, I'm trying to put together my engine package and would like some input on carbs. My supplier has the following in stock, MSA-4, 5 and a AR(or could be AK...can't read my writing)-6. Anybody care to comment as I need to call tomorrow and "take your pick". I'm open to any opinions.

Dana Overall
Richmond, KY i39
RV-7 slider, Imron black, "Black Magic"
O 360 A!A, C/S C2YK-1BF/F7666A4 (Black of course)
http://rvflying.tripod.com/blackrudder.jpg
do not archive

The O-360 will take a -5 series carb...BUT be aware that you also need the 4 digit dash number as there are many -5's and only a few (sorry, but don't have any records of the 2 that I seem to remember being correct) will work right for the engine. The dash number indicates the setup of the carb (jets, etc).

Check the shop manuals for a Cherokee 180 or an early Mooney or call a carb overhaul shop out of Trade-a-plane to the right p/n for your specific O-360.

Deene

Good advice already given. The MA4-5 carb has MANY iterations that go on a whole variety of engines, including lyc's and Franklins. Just do some checking on the specific model number (not the 4-5, but the actual model number) to make sure you get the appropriate carb.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

Here are my numbers

My engine is an O360A1A.

Looking at my Carb.:

*Carb Model: MA-4-5;
*Precision Part No.: 10-3878;
*Eng Mfr Part No.: 71098 (cross refrence).​

I checked the Precision Airmotive data base. This is the
correct number for a Lycoming O-360-A1A carb.

The part number is what separates it from the other MA-4-5's

The other number on the Carb is the serial number and you will
see alpha/numeric codes stamped into the data plate like: MF V A1.
These give the mod level such as metal float or one piece Venturi.

Precision Airmotive now owns Marvel Schebler Carbs and
Bendix Fuel injection line. Look their site up for refrence and
call them if you have questions. I think they sell direct?

If you want to save money, you may want to check around.
A lot of folks are switching to FI (airflow performance) and
some have good or even new Carbs to sell. Overhauled or
rebuilt outright price is a little painful? (over $2000.00 )

Cheers George

Last edited:
Carbs

My -A1A from Van's had the 4-5 carb, but after a few hours I had to mod it for richer running. Van'd know the Lyc. mod kit no., it was used for some Mooneys years ago. With the Van's FAB and good breathing exhaust some standard set-up carbs will be a bit on the lean side. I haven't got the numbers in fron of me, sorry. Have you considered an Ellison if you want more aerobatic capability??

Lean running MA4-5 and kit

garnt.piper said:
My -A1A from Van's had the 4-5 carb, but after a few hours I had to mod it for richer running. Van's know the Lyc. mod kit no., it was used for some Mooneys years ago. With the Van's FAB and good breathing exhaust some standard set-up carbs will be a bit on the lean side. I haven't got the numbers in front of me, sorry. Have you considered an Ellison if you want more aerobatic capability??
Only a few run lean from what I heard Van say. Not everyone has had an issue. Carbs that run too lean are more of a problem with the O320, which a different carb.

I pulled this old info up:

The (alleged) richer O360A1A MA-4-5 carb is part number 10-4164-1.

The kit for the 10-3878 you refer to, if needed, is kit number: 666-660--F, CONVERSION KIT, $284.65.

Some folks, mostly O320 have used the time honored tradition of drilling out the main jet. I believe from what I read about the MSA-4-5, the main jet passage dia. is equivalent to a #43 drill bit, and drilling it out to a #38 does the trick. The kit is probably a better idea.

I have not needed to mod my MA4-5 carb. However on my O320/RV-4, it was running lean, and I did the main jet drill trick, which worked like a charm, but that's a differnt carb (MA-4SPA). George

Last edited:
Carbs#2

Yep, sounds OK to me. I believe van's changed the carb no. on later -A1As to the richer one, mine was 1991 vintage.

Back