What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stab question for Mel

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Here's a photo of my stabilator with full forward (pitch down) stick and full "up" trim (i.e. pressing "trim up, the bottom side of the rocked switch). Look right to you?

THANKS

Wayne 120241

stab.jpg

PAP

Wayne,
Your PAP from Van's will give you measurements to use to make sure your elevator is at the correct position up and down.

Wayne,
The stabilator has such little "down" travel, it's impossible to judge from a picture. Like Pete says, go by the plans, and you'll be fine. If you are asking about the direction, that looks right. The tab should go down for "up" trim.

Thanks

Thanks, Mel,

I thought the tab direction was right-- I had to reverse the two white wires to get this direction. Sure would have helped if the emp kit instructions had told us which way the servo arm should travel. As is, there's exactly a 50-50 chance of connecting the wrong two white wires and ggetting the tab backwards,

Wayne 120241 143WM sometime

As is, there's exactly a 50-50 chance of connecting the wrong two white wires and getting the tab backwards.

And that about the same percentage of "reversed trim travel" that I find on inspections. And NOT just RVs.

Thanks, Mel,

I thought the tab direction was right-- I had to reverse the two white wires to get this direction. Sure would have helped if the emp kit instructions had told us which way the servo arm should travel. As is, there's exactly a 50-50 chance of connecting the wrong two white wires and ggetting the tab backwards,

Wayne 120241 143WM sometime

That's why in the tail attachment section of the construction manual it doesn't tell you to complete the connections for the servo motor. It is delayed until later when the switch panel is installed, allowing for a check of the travel direction an then easy reversal if necessary.

Back